PDA

View Full Version : USC gets a huge commitment

eagles_victory
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
O.J. Mayo, the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2007, told the USC coaching staff and players last week that he would commit to the Trojans, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

The 6-foot-4 Mayo, as recognizable a high school recruiting name as LeBron James and Greg Oden, made the statement while on his unofficial recruiting visit last week in Los Angeles. He still needs to make that sentiment public, though. He could do so as early as this weekend at the Reebok ABCD Camp on the Fairleigh Dickinson campus in Teaneck, N.J.

AP Photo/Al Behrman
Wherever Mayo lands, he will make an immediate splash.High school recruits often say one thing to a coaching staff to appease them and then sign somewhere else during the fall and spring signing periods, but multiple sources told ESPN.com that the Trojans are awaiting public word from Mayo. Even after he makes an announcement, though, the Trojans would have to wait until the November signing period before it's truly official.

NCAA rules forbid college coaches from commenting publicly on commitments until they receive a signed national letter of intent. That said, if Mayo verbally commits to USC this weekend -- or anytime before the fall -- he would immediately go down as the most significant recruit in USC basketball history.

Mayo still could have other alternatives instead of going to college in the fall of 2007. There is a possibility he could go overseas for a year or compete in a barnstorming tour with other high-profile players who are prohibited from entering the NBA draft until they are at least 19 and one year out of high school. Details of possible moves like this are expected to be explored in September.

Still, those would be unchartered waters. The more traditional approach for Mayo would be to do what Oden did: go to school for at least one year. Oden chose Ohio State and is projected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA draft if he declares. Mayo, who is still scheduled to finish his high school career at North College Hill in Cincinnati, is a potential No. 1 overall pick in 2008 if he were to declare.

"[Mayo] could change a program and give it instant credibility," said one source. "He sees the big market and knows that he's not too far away from being marketed. [Going to USC] would only help him and he's confident enough to win a national championship."

The assumption for over a year was that Mayo would go to Cincinnati if Bob Huggins were still employed there, or follow him to wherever he landed, which ended up being Kansas State. Multiple sources told ESPN.com, though, that Mayo called USC coach Tim Floyd in November to express his interest in joining the Trojans.

Mayo then played in an event in Los Angeles in December, with reports surfacing that he was interested in a West Coast school. The assumption at the time was that it was UCLA, but by December, it had been made clear to USC that it was the Trojans, not the Bruins, who were in the hunt.

Multiple sources said that Mayo wanted to be in a major media market and that he told the USC staff he didn't want to be just another name at a school like Duke or North Carolina. He wanted to win big, go to the NBA and already have been marketed in a media center. Sources also said that Mayo was very aware of the attention USC's back-to-back Heisman winners, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush, received the past two seasons.

"He's a little bit different for a kid his age," a source said.

Mayo was in Los Angeles last Wednesday to Friday. He met with the coaching staff, played with USC's returning players on campus and had a conversation with USC athletic director Mike Garrett. Mayo also met with Floyd for the first time. A source said Floyd has only talked to Mayo a handful of times, with Mayo showing more enthusiasm in this partnership than USC.

That's what makes this even more of a coup for the Trojans, assuming it becomes official. Even though he coached in the NBA at Chicago and New Orleans, Floyd has only had one highly rated freshman in his college career -- Marcus Fizer, while he was at Iowa State.

The timing of a Mayo commitment couldn't come at a better time for the Trojans. USC is still emotionally spent after dealing with the tragic death of freshman point guard Ryan Francis, and also needs to overcome the loss of star shooting guard Gabe Pruitt, who is academically ineligible for the first semester. The Trojans are also opening their new arena, the Galen Center, this fall.

A Mayo commitment may lead to another major coup if teammate and close friend Bill Walker, another top-10 player in the class of 2007, were to follow him to USC. The two have said for the past two years that they would play together in college.

KTA
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
"USC basketball history"

Man I was getting upset until I seen that

Emerson1
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
So was I, who cares about basketball? USC is a nonfactor in the basketball world.

District303aPastPlayer
07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
he will single handedly turn USC into a one year wonder... OJ Mayo is the truth... flat out, one of the most dynamic players in teh country... wasting away at USC though...

Cameron Crazy
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Yes, i saw this on www.smoaky.com

Emerson1
07-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Well he will be the man at USC for a season and put up big numbers then declare for the draft.

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Well he will be the man at USC for a season and put up big numbers then declare for the draft.

at least he will be the only major real superstar on campus

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.dailymail.com/images/BillynOJ0127.jpg

OJ Mayo #32... Billy Walker #15...

eagles_victory
07-06-2006, 01:14 AM
you add OJ Mayo and Bill Walker to anybody in the NCAA i dont care who the other 3 guys are that teams gonna be a factor

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 01:15 AM
is walker going with him

eagles_victory
07-06-2006, 01:16 AM
they said they want to play together and i think its a strong possibility

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
they said they want to play together and i think its a strong possibility

that would be cool...

injuredinmelee
07-06-2006, 03:36 AM
I watched soem kind of show about this mayo kid back when he was in 8th grade and palying varsity hoops. He is a stud.

panther power
07-06-2006, 07:56 AM
not a lock, can't make it official untill november i believe....besides he has said that to three schools now, I wouldn't be so sure untill he signs on the dotted line...

Phil C
07-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I wonder if getting these super stars for one year and then entering the draft to make millions counts against a school's graduation rate or whatever the NCAA calls it.

panther power
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I think it does, you lose "points" when that happens, I know ATM lost some when Antoine Wright left after his junior year to play for the Nets.....

KTJ
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
What a horrible decision.

The pac-10 has no contract whatsoever in basketball with all the big networks so he'll never get the "exposure he desires." Not to mention, even if he does make it to USC, he'll be there a year.

Phil C
07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
With the tradition it would seem to be better to choose UCLA over USC in basketball.

tigerpride_08
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
one year there isn't gonna make that much of a difference for USC basketball...

KTJ
07-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
With the tradition it would seem to be better to choose UCLA over USC in basketball.

I don't think tradition was part of his reasoning. If it was, he would have chosen Duke, NC, Kentucky, or Indiana.

eagles_victory
07-06-2006, 01:25 PM
fromwhat ive heard about Mayo i wouldnt be suprised if he changes his mind 3 or 4 times

District303aPastPlayer
07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
and Billy Walker will not be playing HS Basketball next year... he was ruled ineligible today

KTJ
07-10-2006, 11:18 PM
fromwhat ive heard about Mayo i wouldnt be suprised if he changes his mind 3 or 4 times

I think you're right.

He was rumored to head to Kansas State, following the likes of Huggins. And I thought I heard he was rumored as going to Ohio State, too.

IHStangFan
07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
fromwhat ive heard about Mayo i wouldnt be suprised if he changes his mind 3 or 4 times more than likely ....I mean...USC?? as stated why not Duke ......and if he wanted to go west....Arizona?

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
If i was him i would go to Ohio State looks who is there right now GREG OGDEN the #1 player this year in College Baskketball.

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Rumor has it that he is the next Lebron or MJ..But thats what everyone thinks about a good player.

District303aPastPlayer
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
If i was him i would go to Ohio State looks who is there right now GREG OGDEN the #1 player this year in College Baskketball.

okay, thats a bad thing to do... ohio state will be really good next year and mayo could possibly not start even with oden there.. kevin durant will be at Texas... Memphis will be good... and look for Texas UNC/Duke to just open up and tear a hole into people... especially with Tyler Hansborough playin well...

Rumor has it that he is the next Lebron or MJ..But thats what everyone thinks about a good player.

check youtube for videos of him

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Tyler Hansbrough=Overrated IMO

District303aPastPlayer
07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtcOjfPZSg

District303aPastPlayer
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZuMqi1tQ8

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Am i making you mad aaron?:D Cause if i am im not meaning to im just stating the obvious!:D

Bulldog_12
07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Mayo is a thug, but a heck of a player. I am glad to have him as FAR from the Big 12 as possible. Although, he and Huggins might have gotten along well.

District303aPastPlayer
07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Mayo is a thug, but a heck of a player. I am glad to have him as FAR from the Big 12 as possible. Although, he and Huggins might have gotten along well.

why a thug? (just wondering, have only heard stories of his ability, nothing off the court)

Bulldog_12
07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
why a thug? (just wondering, have only heard stories of his ability, nothing off the court)

ALLEGEDLY, he raped or "sexually assaulted" a female this past year.

KTJ

There was an interesting article about him on ESPN.com, saying how him going to USC will cause the NCAA to possibly raise an eye.

His recruitment is starting to become a joke. Now there are rumors that he really isn't going to head to USC and go somewhere else.

District303aPastPlayer
ALLEGEDLY, he raped or "sexually assaulted" a female this past year.

oh wow. he belongs at georgetown

:kiss: :kiss:

Cameron Crazy
07-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Are u talking about Southwestern University? That place is really nice and the best cafeteria food you can ever eat!:D

District303aPastPlayer
07-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Are u talking about Southwestern University? That place is really nice and the best cafeteria food you can ever eat!:D

ummm no. the place where AI3 played at... and Ewing played at...

Cameron Crazy
07-11-2006, 12:12 AM
My bad!:D

eagles_victory
07-11-2006, 03:20 AM
ALLEGEDLY, he raped or "sexually assaulted" a female this past year. He also got in some trouble for fighting. His top ten ranked teammate Bill Walker just got ruled ineligible for his senior year by the board over Ohio athletics

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Today, OJ Mayo signed his letter of intent

injuredinmelee
11-15-2006, 11:58 PM
with USC? IS he going to academically eligible?

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 12:01 AM
okay?

District303aPastPlayer
11-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
with USC? IS he going to academically eligible?

yes to the first question...

burrito to question 2

Bulldog_12
11-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Thank God. I didnt want this kid anywhere NEAR the Big 12.

g$$
11-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I wonder if getting these super stars for one year and then entering the draft to make millions counts against a school's graduation rate or whatever the NCAA calls it.

Yes, going pro after 1 year does count against that school's grad rates for the time span surveyed. Transfers no longer count anymore against a school. They used to as well.

NCAA grad rates are subjective to say the least. The ones that just came out (& Texas was 4th lowest in the NCAA in football at 40%) covered 1996-1999. Women's sports always do better too. It's real fun gathering this info. as well for the NCAA. Messy deal & coaches end up looking bad so they are all over you.