PDA

View Full Version : I am freaking out..someone help

Matthew328
11-18-2003, 02:54 PM
I have been accused of plagerism at school....I am very worried that I may be kicked out of school...is there anything I can do? Someone help me out...

crzyjournalist03
11-18-2003, 02:55 PM
umm...if you didn't plagiarize, they do have to have explicit proof that you did so...could you possibly give more details?

Diboll_Lumberjackk
11-18-2003, 02:58 PM
they need proof my friend if you didnt, you have nothing to worry about.

Soleus
11-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Since your freaking out, that tells me that you did do some form of plagiarism. The best you can do is get to konw your Dean (if your in college)real fast.

crzyjournalist03
11-18-2003, 03:03 PM
hey Soleus, I wouldn't make that statement if I were you...matthew is an administrator of this board, and he's one of the last people in the world I would ever think cheated. You'd be freaking out too if you were threatened to be kicked out of school for something you didn't do.

Diboll_Lumberjackk
11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
agree to that.

pero chato
11-18-2003, 03:40 PM
There's an old saying, "To steal from one person's work is 'plagiarism', to steal from many is 'research'". I would think if you used, in part, material from sources and didn't identify or credit those sources, then you might just be guilty of an oversight. If you copied word for word the entire body of work including the overall concept and then tried to take credit for it, you probably have a problem. I'm not saying you did that, but based on the limited info you shared with us, it's hard to say. The best bet is to go talk to the prof or dean and get the whole thing straightened out. Communication is the key to this one.

<small>[ November 18, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: pero chato ]</small>

sahen
11-18-2003, 03:44 PM
They have to prove it to kick u out...but if u suspect someone could have copied ur work and then they in turn think u copied then u need to talk to the teacher pronto...but if u didnt plagerize then they cant prove it..so dont worry

jason
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Matthew328:
I have been accused of plagerism at school....I am very worried that I may be kicked out of school...is there anything I can do? Someone help me out...give us more details...

DawgMama
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Matthew, check your PM's.

20dawgz05
11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Alot of oue seniors have gotten accused for this as well.....by not citing all of their sorces in research papers....if its summin like that im sure u will be fine!!!

PPHSfan
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
In my best voice laced with deep sarcasm

Matt, there is nothing you can do. If you agreed to abide by the rules of the governing body of your college and have been accused, and then found guilty by the same folks that govern those that have accused you, then you have no right to complain. My suggestion to you would be to crawl under a rock and keep your mouth shut, because after all, this is The United States of America and you have no Voice, especially when you believe you are right.

J-town Hustler
11-18-2003, 06:21 PM
All you have to do is make up some excuse as to where you got the information. Then, try and prove that it is just a coincidence that just so happened to turn out. If that doesn't work, just go homicidal...

3ahunter2k4
11-18-2003, 06:25 PM
crzyjournalist03:
hey Soleus, I wouldn't make that statement if I were you...matthew is an administrator of this board, and he's one of the last people in the world I would ever think cheated. You'd be freaking out too if you were threatened to be kicked out of school for something you didn't do.administrator or not, he's just giving his opinion about his problem considering he never denied it. Matthew, what school do you go to?

fullhouse
11-18-2003, 06:45 PM
My advice ~ if you consider yourself innocent, get your ducks in a row and be thoroughly prepared to defend yourself. If you did it, but it was an "oversight" issue, apologize and admit just that. If you are guilty, PRAY for mercy, take whatever punishment comes with it and learn from it. Hope it all works out for you.

spiveyrat
11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
J-town Hustler:
All you have to do is make up some excuse as to where you got the information. Then, try and prove that it is just a coincidence that just so happened to turn out. If that doesn't work, just go homicidal...Sounds like you've been through this yourself. Why make up an excuse if you are innocent???!!! :rolleyes:

Man, this is the worst advice I've ever seen. Sorry it had to come from someone in Jasper. frown

E-E 'JACKETS
11-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey buddy, are you in HS or College?
Was it that you copied word for word?
Did you "para-phrase" supposedly?
or, Did you "borrow" one of your friends work?
I think we need more info on this one!
But, If i were you, I'd pray and pray very hard, especially if you are in a College or University.

Chief Woodman
11-18-2003, 07:08 PM
I will do the most important thing that I can do for you my young friend. I will ernestly pray for you. Regardless of the outcome, it is not the end of life. Might be hard for you to see right now, but trust me that is the truth.

Stu Pidass
11-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Having done tons of research for seminary and having had books published I can say that if they accuse you, they must have some very good reasons to, as this is not something that is very often used. I suggest that you go through what you handed in and document all the sources, and in the slim chance that there was something you forgot to document, make sure that you bring this up during your hearing. Mistakes can and do happen, if this is the first time that it has happened, seek mercy for the honest mistake. It maybe a concept that is hard for acedamia to understand, as most of them are lost as geese, however, its how you will handle this situation in the fire that will indeed mold your character in the future. DON'T FREAK, if it was an honest documentation error, rectify it and do it no more !!!

<small>[ November 18, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Stu Pidass ]</small>

PPHSfan
11-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Imagine that, seminary and a name like Stu Pidass. Hey can I be your proof-reader when you get published again, because your spelling is awful. :D

Stu Pidass
11-18-2003, 08:23 PM
That's why there is spell check and Grammar checks aye? I will keep you in mind though if you are serious.

I can't help that my parents named me this though. If you would like you can call me Stuart.

<small>[ November 18, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Stu Pidass ]</small>

SintonFan
11-18-2003, 08:48 PM
I have a hard time thinking Matthew intentionally cheated in this respect. As he posted, "I have been accused of plagerism at school", none of this suggest guilt on his part.
Matthew, first find out exactly what your being accused of so you can address it accordingly.

Greenwood Teach
11-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Please explain why you are accused of plagerism. It could really be as simple as not siting a source or even siting it incorrectly.

BHS#1
11-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Get an attorney. By time they sort it out you'll be out of school.

crabman
11-18-2003, 09:38 PM
To Greenwood Teach, I hope you are not a teacher. The word is "citing" with a C not an S.

crabman
11-18-2003, 09:41 PM
And while I am at it, it's "plagiarism".

kaorder1999
11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
you'll be okay....

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Yall would start a topic like this while its 9:40 on the eve of my 25 page research paper for physics that is due tomorrow. (that I have not yet brought myself to start)

therealbulldogs
11-18-2003, 10:47 PM
whtfbplaya:
Yall would start a topic like this while its 9:40 on the eve of my 25 page research paper for physics that is due tomorrow. (that I have not yet brought myself to start)Are you crazy???

weatherag07
11-18-2003, 11:03 PM
whtfbplaya:
Yall would start a topic like this while its 9:40 on the eve of my 25 page research paper for physics that is due tomorrow. (that I have not yet brought myself to start)OMG!! That's bad! eek!
Good luck to you and matthew!!

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 11:10 PM
thanks it's 10:10 now.

whtfbplaya
11-18-2003, 11:11 PM
<small>[ November 19, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: whtfbplaya ]</small>

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Page one at ll:33 ill be done by 8, at least I hope. lol

surfspike
11-19-2003, 01:45 AM
plagiarism in the academic world is about the equivalent of getting caught drinking and driving. It goes on the record and will hurt you badly in the future. Here is hoping for the best.

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 03:28 AM
page 7

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 04:39 AM
page 14

spiveyrat
11-19-2003, 07:33 AM
whtfbplaya:
page 14You wrote 7 pages in 70 minutes? I'm guessing quality is being compromised here?

whtfbplaya
11-19-2003, 08:19 AM
I am now done with 40 min to spare.

Pudlugger
11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
whtfbplaya:
I am now done with 40 min to spare.I'm impressed. Please post the grade when it comes back!

3afan
11-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Stu Pidass:
Having done tons of research for seminary and having had books published I can say that if they accuse you, they must have some very good reasons to, as this is not something that is very often used. I suggest that you go through what you handed in and document all the sources, and in the slim chance that there was something you forgot to document, make sure that you bring this up during your hearing. Mistakes can and do happen, if this is the first time that it has happened, seek mercy for the honest mistake. It maybe a concept that is hard for acedamia to understand, as most of them are lost as geese, however, its how you will handle this situation in the fire that will indeed mold your character in the future. DON'T FREAK, if it was an honest documentation error, rectify it and do it no more !!!"tons of research for seminary " ?????? i can't imagine thats true with the username you've selected

3afan
11-19-2003, 08:35 AM
whtfbplaya:
Yall would start a topic like this while its 9:40 on the eve of my 25 page research paper for physics that is due tomorrow. (that I have not yet brought myself to start)can you say ----- "F" :D

whrtntig1
11-19-2003, 08:52 AM
whtfbplaya--if you are who I think you are--this is your old English teacher! YOU KNOW BETTER!You should have learned in high school.

jason
11-19-2003, 08:58 AM
3afan:

whtfbplaya:
Yall would start a topic like this while its 9:40 on the eve of my 25 page research paper for physics that is due tomorrow. (that I have not yet brought myself to start)can you say ----- "F" :D not true...some people do their best work the night before...not that i've ever done it, but you know what i mean... :D :D

District303aPastPlayer
11-19-2003, 09:45 AM
in the immortal words of Hammer...
i say we pray that you make it today...

Soleus
11-19-2003, 10:16 AM
crzyjournalist03:
hey Soleus, I wouldn't make that statement if I were you...matthew is an administrator of this board, and he's one of the last people in the world I would ever think cheated. You'd be freaking out too if you were threatened to be kicked out of school for something you didn't do.I wasn't trying to stir anything up. And I wasn't accusing him of anything. I just know that if it were me in that situation I wouldn't freak out that much if I knew for sure that I didn't do anything wrong. Of course when I was in college I didn't do enough research to even get close to getting accused of plagiarism. Go figure.

Matthew328
11-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Ok guys, here is what happened...I am NOTORIOUS for when I have to write a paper..I can't seem to get a topic going...once I get a topic I write just fine..it is just the getting started that kills me..so when we started having to do this paper..I asked a freind who took the class last semester if he could help me with some ideas...well the idea that I had was something very similar that he did last year..same type of topic..which by the way isn't that uncommon..so he told me he could show me where he got his sources from online (the UTA database) so that is what we did..well before we were done I needed a disk to start saving my work on..the place on campus that sells floppy disks was closed and I didn't have a disk....so he lets me borrow one of his disks...and when I got me a disk I'd copy and paste the work onto my disk...well his disk had a TON of stuff on it..and I am thinking I may have actually printed off his paper..because he told me his paper was on the disk...after the fact of course..the problem is even though I have my paper right here...it is still similar to my freinds paper.. :( Man I don't wanna be kicked out..I know I didn't cheat...but they pretty much have all the evidence they need..most everyone I've talked to seems to think they'll just make me re-write another paper..which would suck..but if it keeps me from getting kicked out I will..

CheerMom
11-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Good Luck!!

CentralTxFan
11-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Matthew328:
Ok guys, here is what happened...I am NOTORIOUS for when I have to write a paper..I can't seem to get a topic going...once I get a topic I write just fine..it is just the getting started that kills me..so when we started having to do this paper..I asked a freind who took the class last semester if he could help me with some ideas...well the idea that I had was something very similar that he did last year..same type of topic..which by the way isn't that uncommon..so he told me he could show me where he got his sources from online (the UTA database) so that is what we did..well before we were done I needed a disk to start saving my work on..the place on campus that sells floppy disks was closed and I didn't have a disk....so he lets me borrow one of his disks...and when I got me a disk I'd copy and paste the work onto my disk...well his disk had a TON of stuff on it..and I am thinking I may have actually printed off his paper..because he told me his paper was on the disk...after the fact of course..the problem is even though I have my paper right here...it is still similar to my freinds paper.. :( Man I don't wanna be kicked out..I know I didn't cheat...but they pretty much have all the evidence they need..most everyone I've talked to seems to think they'll just make me re-write another paper..which would suck..but if it keeps me from getting kicked out I will..Matthew, can't you go and explain just that to them...show them the disk with your work on it..it should have times etc that you put your stuff on his disk. It can't hurt to be totally honest with the powers that be. To me, if you have the proof that you were not trying to do anything wrong then you should be in the clear. The only question I would have is did you not proof the paper you printed out?

dawg03
11-19-2003, 01:43 PM
A Burnet teacher did that last year, but it all came down to checking the pages and words cited! CHECK YOUR WORK CITED! wink

SintonFan
11-19-2003, 02:40 PM
CentralTxFan has the a good idea. The only problem there is that if both papers were extremely similiar, then having them on one disk looks incriminating. Very incriminating.
Most colleges now use software that can spot plagiarism or anything of similiar design.
Matthew, if you have the oportunity to write another one then that's probably your best bet. Good luck!

Matthew328
11-20-2003, 08:22 AM
I didn't proof the paper I printed out..becuase it was only a rough draft..and second, the morning that the drafts were due..I was running late and I was in a hurry so I just opened the disk and clicked..LOL of course I should have been more careful and that is my fault...I know it was dumb.. :( tomorrow at 11:30 is my conference...gotta hope for the best

sinton66
11-20-2003, 08:39 AM
Matthew, just tell the truth and show them the disk. My advice is don't try to cover anything or make excuses. You really didn't do anything wrong. Your work will have the dates on the files you saved. I think you're going to be ok on this, but will say a little prayer for you anyway. Good luck, my friend.

LH Panther Mom
11-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Good luck, Matthew. I hope your conference goes well.

sinton66
11-20-2003, 08:56 AM
And by the way, Matthew, if you have need of some character witnesses, I think we both know where you can find a thousand or two. wink

weatherag07
11-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Let us know how everything goes! Good luck!!

Pandora
11-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Matthew328:
Ok guys, here is what happened...I am NOTORIOUS for when I have to write a paper..I can't seem to get a topic going...once I get a topic I write just fine..it is just the getting started that kills me..so when we started having to do this paper..I asked a freind who took the class last semester if he could help me with some ideas...well the idea that I had was something very similar that he did last year..same type of topic..which by the way isn't that uncommon..so he told me he could show me where he got his sources from online (the UTA database) so that is what we did..well before we were done I needed a disk to start saving my work on..the place on campus that sells floppy disks was closed and I didn't have a disk....so he lets me borrow one of his disks...and when I got me a disk I'd copy and paste the work onto my disk...well his disk had a TON of stuff on it..and I am thinking I may have actually printed off his paper..because he told me his paper was on the disk...after the fact of course..the problem is even though I have my paper right here...it is still similar to my freinds paper.. :( Man I don't wanna be kicked out..I know I didn't cheat...but they pretty much have all the evidence they need..most everyone I've talked to seems to think they'll just make me re-write another paper..which would suck..but if it keeps me from getting kicked out I will..Matthew, having taught in college I have seen something similar to this several times. The worst result for any of the students involved was that they received a WF for the class and had to take it over. I cannot remember anyone involved that was actually forced out of college. Of course this was at a smaller college than the one you are enrolled in. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

sinton 1316
11-20-2003, 12:28 PM
this is a lab im having to do for del-mar, it tells you everything about plagarism, you might find something useful in here
http://www.delmar.edu/engl/labs/1301/assign/plagiarism/
you dont need a password or anything to log in

Bandera YaYa
11-20-2003, 03:02 PM
sinton66:
And by the way, Matthew, if you have need of some character witnesses, I think we both know where you can find a thousand or two. wink ...Yeah, just tell us where to show up!! :D

whtfbplaya
12-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Pudlugger:

whtfbplaya:
I am now done with 40 min to spare.I'm impressed. Please post the grade when it comes back!Got my grades back Pudlugger all A's!

Pudlugger
12-19-2003, 09:53 AM
whtfbplaya:

Pudlugger:

whtfbplaya:
I am now done with 40 min to spare.I'm impressed. Please post the grade when it comes back!Got my grades back Pudlugger all A's!Dang! That's some good work. Maybe you should consider a career in writing! Journalism for example. Keep it up, you'll never regret the time you spend learning in college. Merry Christmas! :)

pakrat
12-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Stu Pidass
Scrub
Member # 3883

Rate Member posted November 18, 2003 07:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having done tons of research for seminary and having had books published I can say that if they accuse you, they must have some very good reasons to, as this is not something that is very often used. I suggest that you go through what you handed in and document all the sources, and in the slim chance that there was something you forgot to document, make sure that you bring this up during your hearing. Mistakes can and do happen, if this is the first time that it has happened, seek mercy for the honest mistake. It maybe a concept that is hard for acedamia to understand, as most of them are lost as geese, however, its how you will handle this situation in the fire that will indeed mold your character in the future. DON'T FREAK, if it was an honest documentation error, rectify it and do it no more !!!

So just where do you preach? I don't want to send my kids there! But I might consider the adult entertainment aspect and show up for the laughs. :D

Bestdamsportsshowperiod
12-19-2003, 06:28 PM
what are you freaking out about there sissyboy. Grow a pair of nuts and defend yourself. Chill out and quit being an idiot. since you are freakin out so much it makes it sound like you actually plagarized. Stand up like a man and let the chips fall.

District303aPastPlayer
12-20-2003, 01:48 AM
Bestdamsportsshowperiod:
what are you freaking out about there sissyboy. Grow a pair of nuts and defend yourself. Chill out and quit being an idiot. since you are freakin out so much it makes it sound like you actually plagarized. Stand up like a man and let the chips fall.I feel a ROM coming on, dont you?

Bandera YaYa
12-20-2003, 01:56 AM
...yeah, talk about an idiot!! eek! eek!

3afan
12-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Bestdamsportsshowperiod:
what are you freaking out about there sissyboy. Grow a pair of nuts and defend yourself. Chill out and quit being an idiot. since you are freakin out so much it makes it sound like you actually plagarized. Stand up like a man and let the chips fall.scrub ... 'nuf said