PDA

View Full Version : The Best Things in College Sports

Adidas410s
07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Go check out this poll on ESPN and vote...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2257

Cameron Crazy
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Duke Nc should be the biggest rivalry!

Emerson1
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Not in football

Sweetwater Red
07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Atleast the poll got the best college rivalry right.:D

Michigan vs. Ohio St....

Think Sweetwater vs. Snyder...just on a much larger scale.:D

Cameron Crazy
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Yup!

Phil C
07-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Eyes of Texas not listed as best college song! Shame on ESPN!

:mad:

Sweetwater Red
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Eyes of Texas not listed as best college song! Shame on ESPN!

:mad:

Hail to the victors!!! All the way baby!!!!:D

Pmoney
07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Army-Navy is the biggest rivalry

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Atleast the poll got the best college rivalry right.:D

Michigan vs. Ohio St....

Think Sweetwater vs. Snyder...just on a much larger scale.:D
That depends on how you judge a rivlary. If you're talking about how much the two schools hate each other, UM/OSU isn't even close. If you're talking about all the other surrounding factors (national involvement, national college football picture, etc.), then it's up there.

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 03:02 PM
My votes:

song: Michigan State fight song
tradition: Ohio State (dotting the ''I'')
logo: Texas
fans: Texas A&M (how many schools can consistently draw 80,000 with a losing team)
live mascot: Colorado's ''Ralphie'' (buffalo)
costume mascot: Stanford's ''Tree''
nickname: UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
college town: Charlottesville, Va. (I could have given it to Boulder, too, but it's becoming too suburban)
rivalry: Oklahoma-Texas

Sweetwater Red
07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
That depends on how you judge a rivlary. If you're talking about how much the two schools hate each other, UM/OSU isn't even close. If you're talking about all the other surrounding factors (national involvement, national college football picture, etc.), then it's up there.

I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Trust me, there is plenty of
bad blood between these to schools.

Don't think Wolverine fans aren't eating up the whole Clarett and
Holmes fiascos.:D

Sweetwater Red
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
And another thing, A.J. Hawk is the next Brian Bosworth. Playing
with Bobby Carpenter is what made him look so good on the
field.

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
My votes:

song: Michigan State fight song
tradition: Ohio State (dotting the ''I'')
logo: Texas
fans: Texas A&M (how many schools can consistently draw 80,000 with a losing team)
live mascot: Colorado's ''Ralphie'' (buffalo)
costume mascot: Stanford's ''Tree''
nickname: UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
college town: Charlottesville, Va. (I could have given it to Boulder, too, but it's becoming too suburban)
rivalry: Oklahoma-Texas
song: Maine's "Stein Song" (listen to it once :D )
tradition: 12th man
logo: Notre Dame
fans: A&M (LSU came in a very close second)
live mascot: Ralphie
costumed ": ND Leprechaun
nickname: UC-SC
town: Athens, GA (but Austin and Gainesville were right there... had to think a while on this one)
rivalry: you know which one I picked

JasperDog94
07-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Ha Ha!!!!

9) What is the best college rivalry?

25.7% Michigan-Ohio State
12.3% Auburn-Alabama
8.8% Florida-Georgia
8.8% Army-Navy
8.4% South Carolina-Clemson
7.2% Notre Dame-everyone
7.2% Oklahoma-Texas
5.9% Duke-North Carolina
3.8% Florida-Florida State
3.5% Miami-Florida State
3.4% Texas-Texas A&M
1.8% UCLA-USC
1.3% Oregon-Oregon State
1.1% Harvard-Yale
0.6% Stanford-Cal

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Harvard-Yale should be higher up than it is.

http://www.harvardsucks.org/
http://www.yaledailynews.com/article.asp?AID=27506
http://www.nysun.com/article/5576

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Holmes fiascos.:D
If it's just another Sweetwater/Snyder on a larger scale, it's got a ways to go. :D

On that note, I know there's a lot of hate there. An ex-coworker (went to Notre Dame) was engaged to a UM girl.

KTJ
07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
That depends on how you judge a rivlary. If you're talking about how much the two schools hate each other, UM/OSU isn't even close.

After playing both of these schools, I can firmly say "yes it is." It's probably the top rivalry, IMO.

Michigan/Ohio State
Texas/Oklahoma
Alabama/Auburn
Army/Navy

KTJ
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat

fans: Texas A&M (how many schools can consistently draw 80,000 with a losing

Agricultural hasn't been consistently drawing that many fans over the last few years unless they play Texas, OU, or Tech.

The only team that I can think of that has had sellouts every freaking game, even during the losing seasons, is South Carolina.

JasperDog94
07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Doesn't Notre Dame sell out every game as well?

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Notre Dame sells out...but it's the University of Football in America
South Carolina sells out...but what else is there to do in SC?

Texas A&M is the only place where a significant amount of people show up to watch a terrible team while doing cheers, um, yells that baffle anyone without a knowledge of what they are talking about. And they all have to do the yell in the "hump it" position. Fans that care about their team so much as to subject themselves to that are great fans.

And I'm no Aggie fan.

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
After playing both of these schools, I can firmly say "yes it is." It's probably the top rivalry, IMO.

Michigan/Ohio State
Texas/Oklahoma
Alabama/Auburn
Army/Navy
So you think that UM/OSU and OU/UT hate each other more than Auburn/Bama? Boy, you have lost your freaking mind.:D I'm sorry, but nothing comes close to the Iron Bowl in terms of pure hatred... MAYBE (and this is a big maybe) Clemson/SC, the Civil War, or Army/Navy, but I don't have any close affiliations with the Civil War or Army/Navy game so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I know SC/CU is much worse than anything in the Big XII and that Auburn/Bama is worse than SC/CU.

Now on a national scale, dumb down Bama/Auburn a little and pull the others up. They're always playing for a national title. Meanwhile, either Auburn is up or Bama is up. It's hardly ever both at the same time.

KTJ
07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
So you think that UM/OSU and OU/UT hate each other more than Auburn/Bama? Boy, you have lost your freaking mind.:D I'm sorry, but nothing comes close to the Iron Bowl in terms of pure hatred... MAYBE (and this is a big maybe) Clemson/SC, the Civil War, or Army/Navy, but I don't have any close affiliations with the Civil War or Army/Navy game so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I know SC/CU is much worse than anything in the Big XII and that Auburn/Bama is worse than SC/CU.

Now on a national scale, dumb down Bama/Auburn a little and pull the others up. They're always playing for a national title. Meanwhile, either Auburn is up or Bama is up. It's hardly ever both at the same time.

You don't think Michigan and tOSU fans hate each other? I've heard both sides of that story, in person, since we've played both teams. I've also experienced Texas/OU plenty of times so I can give you that first hand.

I'm not doubting that Alabama/Auburn is up there. In then end, though, there is no real, true answer. It's all subjective.

DaHop72
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Holmes fiascos.:D Ann Arbor, Michigan and you call youself Sweetwater Red. Heck, in Texas we have other names for people from up north.:D :D

Heck, ole DaHop probably bleeds more red than you do.:evillaugh :evillaugh

eagles_victory
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
As a friend of mine always says Michigan and Ohio State is the biggest rivalry. You have 115,000 fans and the stadium only seats 90.000 thats 25,000 people standing i dont know if thats true or not but he says it

District303aPastPlayer
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
As a friend of mine always says Michigan and Ohio State is the biggest rivalry. You have 115,000 fans and the stadium only seats 90.000 thats 25,000 people standing i dont know if thats true or not but he says it

if you are talking about the Big House... they seat over 110,000 fans... i know its like 110,001 for the old coach... that extra seat is always there

DaHop72
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Ira-Hermleigh:D :D

Sweetwater Red
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Ann Arbor, Michigan and you call youself Sweetwater Red. Heck, in Texas we have other names for people from up north.:D :D

Heck, ole DaHop probably bleeds more red than you do.:evillaugh :evillaugh

Wow! a shot at my heritage...:(

My family moved to Texas when I was eleven. That was 24 years
ago.

Bleed more red than me??? I think not....:D.

Big Papa
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Ira-Hermleigh

ROFL :clap: :clap:

DaHop72
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Wow! a shot at my heritage...:(

My family moved to Texas when I was eleven. That was 24 years
ago.

Bleed more red than me??? I think not....:D. Sorry Red, you can never catch up. If you weren't born and raised you can't make that claim.

Sweetwater Red
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Sorry Red, you can never catch up. If you weren't born and raised you can't make that claim.

You grew up in Sweetwater and now represent Snyder.

I was born in Ann Arbor and now represent Sweetwater.

What's the difference?:confused:

DaHop72
07-06-2006, 10:18 AM
You grew up in Sweetwater and now represent Snyder.

I was born in Ann Arbor and now represent Sweetwater.

What's the difference?:confused: I was bred red, you just got here as fast as your could, big difference.

Sweetwater Red
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I was bred red, you just got here as fast as your could, big difference.

So, Dee Walker can't call himself Snyder Black if he was to get on
this message board?:thinking:

DaHop72
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
So, Dee Walker can't call himself Snyder Black if he was to get on
this message board?:thinking: Nope, but he could sure call himself Snyder Good Running Back.:D :D

Sweetwater Red
07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Nope, but he could sure call himself Snyder Good Running Back.:D :D

:clap:

big daddy russ
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
You don't think Michigan and tOSU fans hate each other? I've heard both sides of that story, in person, since we've played both teams. I've also experienced Texas/OU plenty of times so I can give you that first hand.
I'm not saying that UM and tOSU don't hate each other. Same with UT/OU. I'm just saying that families and marraiges across an entire state don't talk and even form a hatred for one another leading up to the Iron Bowl. I have friends and future family (my future sister-in-law [marrying my brother] and future 'cousins-in-law' [my girlfriend's cousins and aunts/uncles]) who have been to the Red River Shootout numerous times as both students and alums of UT. Hell, my girl's uncle had a brother who went to Norman. They get along on game day. They BBQ together. They poke fun at each other, and they laugh.

Not the people of Alabama. There's a difference between just strongly disliking the other team (which could be called hate) and a brawl breaking out at my uncle's house just north of Mobile over any little thing. My second cousin didn't talk to his wife of 20+ years for about a week after his wife persuaded their son to attend Tuscaloosa. My third/fourth/whatever-cousin (my second cousin's son) had the same thing happen at an old friend's house in Montgomery. There, with his best friend of 19 years (from Auburn) and that friend's family, the friend's family almost broke down into fistacuffs just before the game two years ago. And believe it or not, that little part of the family (second cousin... I call him 'Uncle'... Buddy and 'Aunt' Kendra) are some of the most laid-back people you'll ever meet. Those good ol' boys down in the Deep South just kept a spot in their hearts for some good, ol' fashioned hatred. The only thing I've ever seen them argue over is Bama/AU. And that's the culture of that entire state.

The only two things that have ever divided American families worse than the Iron Bowl are religion and the Civil War.

Hey man, you lived with a guy who went to Bama. See what he has to say about it. And if you tell me that the Red River Shootout is as bad as the Iron Bowl, I'll know you're lying.