PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Moving Rates

Blastoderm55
07-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I've decided to supplement my income with an on the side moving service. In the past week alone, I've moved nearly 4 of my current customers in some form or another, and I've pocketed a pretty penny for pretty easy work. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should charge for a higher scale operation. My overhead is low, as I'll use my company truck for all moves, and the crew shall consist of myself and one other person. In most cases, I can actually move an entire home alone. Should I offer a flat rate hourly fee with a minimum number of hours or should I charge a low service fee and move on a per-item basis? Any feedback is appreciated.

Adidas410s
07-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Just curious...do you own the company vehicle? If not, you may run into some legal issues using somebody else's property for your own monetary gain without their consent.

Blastoderm55
07-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Just curious...do you own the company vehicle? If not, you may run into some legal issues using somebody else's property for your own monetary gain without their consent.

Family-owned business, so I'm sure Pops won't mind. In some cases, he'll be helping me.

Adidas410s
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Family-owned business, so I'm sure Pops won't mind. In some cases, he'll be helping me.

gotcha! :thumbsup: My friend and I were discussing this with his business yesterday...so just thought I would ask.

Adidas410s
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
oh...and I would probably charge a per truck or "per load" rate if it takes more than one trip to move everything. If you can do it all in one truck...then I would charge a flat fee for the service. I would also set certain guidelines with them (i.e. things must be packed and ready to go at scheduled time) so that you aren't wasting time waiting on them. If you don't want to set the guidelines such as those, then a per hour rate would be the best route to go.

pirate4state
07-05-2006, 01:34 PM
oh...and I would probably charge a per truck or "per load" rate if it takes more than one trip to move everything. If you can do it all in one truck...then I would charge a flat fee for the service. I would also set certain guidelines with them (i.e. things must be packed and ready to go at scheduled time) so that you aren't wasting time waiting on them. If you don't want to set the guidelines such as those, then a per hour rate would be the best route to go. I agree. Also, maybe set up an additional cost for bigger than normal items (i.e. - big tv's, king size beds, those huge bedroom sets, etc...). Good Luck

Blastoderm55
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
oh...and I would probably charge a per truck or "per load" rate if it takes more than one trip to move everything. If you can do it all in one truck...then I would charge a flat fee for the service. I would also set certain guidelines with them (i.e. things must be packed and ready to go at scheduled time) so that you aren't wasting time waiting on them. If you don't want to set the guidelines such as those, then a per hour rate would be the best route to go.

I'm considering two options for the client. They can either have everything ready and packaged for us, or they can choose a "white-glove" service where we'll go into their home and remove all large furnishings, electronics and appliances and upon arrival take them into the new residence and provide setup. Installation is something I won't delve into as of yet, as I'm not too experienced outside of washer and dryers. Offering different packages should make the service attractive to people at both ends.

Snyder_TigerFan
07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I agree. Also, maybe set up an additional cost for bigger than normal items (i.e. - big tv's, king size beds, those huge bedroom sets, etc...). Good Luck

And extra fees for apartments on the 3rd floor! :)

Blastoderm55
07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Also, I'm going to incorporate a surcharge of 25% for any job that isn't on the ground level. I think its only fair to charge more for jobs when stairs are included.

tigerpride_08
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
me and my friend made $40 bucks each working for his mom in her flowerbed...$10 an hour was our rate...

Blastoderm55
07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Here a few rate packages I cooked up

Basic Relocating Package:
$50 per hour. Two hour minimum.
Pickup of all packaged goods and oversized pieces from driveway or front yard.
Loading of truck and securing of property.
Transporting of property to new residence.
Unloading of property onto driveway or front yard.
Ground/first floor only.
Fuel surchage of $25.00 for 30 miles out of town.
(Per roundtrip)

“Homestead Special” Package:
$75 per hour. Two hour minimum.
Pickup of all packaged goods and oversized pieces from inside home.
Unloading of property into new residence.
25% surcharge for upstairs residences.
Fuel surcharge of $25.00 for 30 miles out of town.
(Per roundtrip)

“White Glove Delivery” Package:
$100 per hour. Two hour minimum.
Pickup of all packaged goods. Disassembly of furniture pieces.
Unloading of property into new residence.
Setup of furniture pieces and installation of washer and dryer.
25% surcharge for upstairs residences.
Fuel surcharge of $25.00 for 30 miles out of town (per roundtrip)