PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Fires a 7th Missile!!!

piratebg
07-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Report: N. Korea launches 7th missile 37 minutes ago

TOKYO - North Korea has launched a seventh missile, a news report said Wednesday, citing Japanese government sources.

North Korea fired the latest missile at 5:22 p.m. (4 a.m. EDT), Kyodo News agency reported. The missile landed 6 minutes later, the report said.

Defense officials could not immediately confirm the report. It was unclear what type of missile was launched or where it landed.

piratebg
07-05-2006, 05:55 AM
North Korea tests 7th missile amid furor 7 minutes ago

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea test-fired another missile Wednesday, intensifying the furor ignited when the reclusive regime launched at least six missiles, including a long-range Taepodong, earlier in the day.

The missiles apparently fell harmlessly into the Sea of Japan, and U.S. officials said the long-range Taepodong-2 failed shortly after take-off, calling into question the technological capability of North Korea's feared ballistic missile program. Pyongyang last fired a long-range missile in 1998.

But the audacious military exercise drew immediate attention and condemnation. The North American Aerospace Defense Command monitored the launches as they progressed but soon determined they were not a threat to the United States, a spokesman said.

The political reaction was swift. The White House called the tests a "provocation," while the U.N. Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting for Wednesday and Tokyo warned of economic sanctions against the impoverished, communist country.

North Korea remained defiant. A North Korea foreign ministry official told Japanese journalists in Pyongyang that the regime there has an undeniable right to test missiles.

"The missile launch is an issue that is entirely within our sovereignty. No one has the right to dispute it," Ri Pyong Dok, a researcher on Japanese affairs at the North's Foreign Ministry, said on footage aired by TBS. "On the missile launch, we are not bound by any agreement."

Japanese national broadcaster NHK reported that an unidentified Foreign Ministry official in Pyongyang acknowledged the firing of the missiles, but Ri told reporters that diplomats like himself are unaware of what the military is doing.

Some feared more firings. Pyongyang could test additional missiles soon despite the international furor over Wednesday's launches, Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said after making a protest via telephone to North Korea's ambassador to Canberra, Chon Jae Hong.

"We think they probably do intend to launch more missiles in the next day or two," Downer told reporters, without explaining if the possibility of more tests came up in his talk with Chon.

South Korea, separated from the North by the world's most heavily armed border, said the test launches would further deepen its neighbor's international isolation, sour public opinion in the South toward Pyongyang and hurt efforts to control weapons of mass destruction.

The tests, which came as the United States celebrated the Fourth of July and launched the space shuttle Discovery from Cape Canaveral, appeared timed to draw the most attention from Washington. Some speculated that Pyongyang wanted some of the spotlight focused on Iran's nuclear program.

"North Korea wants to get the U.S. to direct bilateral negotiations by using the missile card," said Paik Hak-soon, a North Korea expert at the Seoul-based Sejong Institute. "Timing the launch date on July 4 is an attempt to apply maximum pressure on the U.S. government."

In Tokyo, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso warned of a "very high possibility" the U.N. would level economic sanctions against North Korea. Japan also protested the launches officially through Chinese capital, and banned a North Korean ferry from Japanese ports for six months.

The tests followed weeks of mounting speculation that North Korea would launch a Taepodong-2. U.S. intelligence reports indicated Pyongyang was taking steps to prepare for a launch, but the timing was unknown. North Korea refused to confirm the preparations, but insisted it had the right to such a test.

The test was likely to cast a pall over efforts to lure North Korea back to stalled six-party talks on its nuclear weapons program. Pyongyang has boycotted the negotiations to protest a U.S. crackdown on alleged North Korean counterfeiting and other financial crimes. A North Korean official said Wednesday his country would stand by that stance.

Diplomatic moves over North Korea gathered pace. U.S. nuclear envoy Christopher Hill was to leave Washington for the region later on Wednesday, and the launches coincided with a trip by South Korea's security chief to Washington for consultations. China's vice-premier was also scheduled to go to Pyongyang next week.

The U.S. denounced the launch, but did not consider it a threat to national security, and officials vowed a diplomatic rather than a military response.

"We are urgently consulting with members of the Security Council," said John Bolton, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Thomas Schieffer, the U.S. ambassador to Japan, called the launches "a provocative act," and the White House said Pyongyang had further alienated itself from the world community.

Two U.S. State Department officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the long-range missile was the Taepodong-2, North Korea's most advanced missile with a range of up to 9,320 miles. Some experts believe it could reach the United States with a light payload.

The missiles all landed hundreds of miles away from Japan and there were no reports the missiles caused damage within Japanese territory, said Japanese spokesman Shinzo Abe. He said the first missile was launched at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, or about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday EDT.

North Korea's missile program is based on Scud technology provided by the former Soviet Union or Egypt, according to American and South Korean officials. North Korea started its Rodong-1 missile project in the late 1980s and test-fired the missile for the first time in 1993.

North Korea had observed a moratorium on long-range missile launches since 1999. It shocked the world in 1998 by firing a Taepodong missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean.

The United States and its allies South Korea and Japan have taken quick steps over the past week to strengthen their missile defenses. Washington and Tokyo are working on a joint missile-defense shield, and South Korea is considering the purchase of American SM-2 defensive missiles for its destroyers.

The U.S. and North Korea have been in a standoff over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program since 2002. Experts, however, doubt the regime has managed to develop a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on its long-range missiles.

___

AP reporters Larry Margasak and Deb Riechmann in Washington, Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations, Eric Talmadge in Tokyo and Jae-soon Chang in Seoul contributed to this report.

Aesculus gilmus
07-05-2006, 06:07 AM
"U.S. denounced the launch, but did not consider it a threat to national security, and officials vowed a diplomatic rather than a military response."

This is quite a contrast with the year 2002 during which I remember various administration officials coming forth with one fantastic scenario after another of what Iraq was going to do. My favorite was the remote-controlled drone that was about to fly over the country and spray us with stuff.

If they ever discover oil in North Korea, that's when Kim Short Dong or whatever his name is better start getting worried.

I wouldn't mind having one of their counterfeiting presses, though. I understand that they can print $100 bills which look so authentic that even our Secret Service sometimes can't tell they are bogus.

Gp83
07-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
"U.S. denounced the launch, but did not consider it a threat to national security, and officials vowed a diplomatic rather than a military response."

This is quite a contrast with the year 2002 during which I remember various administration officials coming forth with one fantastic scenario after another of what Iraq was going to do. My favorite was the remote-controlled drone that was about to fly over the country and spray us with stuff.

If they ever discover oil in North Korea, that's when Kim Short Dong or whatever his name is better start getting worried.

I wouldn't mind having one of their counterfeiting presses, though. I understand that they can print $100 bills which look so authentic that even our Secret Service sometimes can't tell they are bogus.

You liberals crack me up:clap:

Jason1725
07-05-2006, 06:59 AM
How come we invade a country because we believe they might have WMD's. But we do nothing to one who says look, we have missles? Just a simple question, don't be an idiot and think I am a liberal. I mean have we got to the point in this country that whenever you question what is going on you are labled a liberal?

CenTexSports
07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
You have to look at the whole picture. First, Saddam killed thousands of his own people. Second, he invaded a neighboring country. Third, he gave help and support to the bombers in the Middle East and the rest of the world. Fourth, he was trying to get WMD's.

Gp83
07-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
How come we invade a country because we believe they might have WMD's. But we do nothing to one who says look, we have missles? Just a simple question, don't be an idiot and think I am a liberal. I mean have we got to the point in this country that whenever you question what is going on you are labled a liberal?

I can't answer that question, but I would say we're spread pretty thin now as we are and the far left has made it impossible to take actions on another country, even with proof or cause. I believe Bush will do something about this though. Remember, it took 17 broken resolutions to go into Iraq. I believe no resolutions have been brought up yet in Korea. We have a long way to go, many must die and many buildings must be lost before the far left will even repremand Korea.

Aesculus gilmus
07-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
You liberals crack me up:clap:

All you can do is call names. I am a libertarian, which is quite different from a liberal. Look it up sometime. Thomas Jefferson was a libertarian. "That government is best which governs least."

The U.S. military costs us $600 billlion a year with very few results to show for it other than deficits as far as the eye can see and $3-a-gallon gas. The military-industrial complex is the largest corporate welfare program on the planet.

Let me ask the young people something. How many more years do you want to be "at war" with a concept. The neoCONs have already said they expect it to last the next 100 years. Do you know how much farther in debt you will be by then? You will be so far under that you and your children will have to be sold into slavery. At best, you'll be working for the Chinese or Japanese, which is already happening. Wal(China)-Mart is the largest employer in this country.

And, don't forget this—9/11 was an Inside Job.

http://www.st911.org

Gp83
07-05-2006, 07:50 AM
All you can do is call names. I am a libertarian, which is quite different from a liberal. Look it up sometime. Thomas Jefferson was a libertarian. "That government is best which governs least."

The U.S. military costs us $600 billlion a year with very few results to show for it other than deficits as far as the eye can see and $3-a-gallon gas. The military-industrial complex is the largest corporate welfare program on the planet.

Let me ask the young people something. How many more years do you want to be "at war" with a concept. The neoCONs have already said they expect it to last the next 100 years. Do you know how much farther in debt you will be by then? You will be so far under that you and your children will have to be sold into slavery. At best, you'll be working for the Chinese or Japanese, which is already happening. Wal(China)-Mart is the largest employer in this country.

What's YOUR answer on ending the war and how are YOU going to keep them from flying planes in OUR buildings?:thinking: You guys are so quick to cut and run, but no ideas on how to do it without Americans safety jepordized

injuredinmelee
07-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
What's YOUR answer on ending the war and how are YOU going to keep them from flying planes in OUR buildings?:thinking: You guys are so quick to cut and run, but no ideas on how to do it without Americans safety jepordized

what they need a solution, they cant just degrade all the decisions and the war in iraq? Diplomacy was a waste of time as it is with every Middle Eastern COuntry. How many years did we have to deal with the Iragi regime? How fruitful was the dimplomacy?

Aesculus gilmus
07-05-2006, 08:00 AM
9/11 was an Inside Job. IMHO, of course.

If you are so worried about terrorists, why aren't you down on the border with the Minutemen. Our southern border is wide open, not to mention our ports. What did you make of the Bush administration's efforts to transfer port security to Dubai? Did that make any sense to you?

Someday we will have to go back to being a normal country rather than trying to project an empire. We cannot afford this much longer.

Check out the latest report of the Comptroller General of the United States. His name is David Wallker and he is nonpartisan.
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/7361311.html

Black_Magic
07-05-2006, 08:02 AM

http://www.st911.org Hey!! didnt you hear?? the War in Iraq was an Astounding Success!! I remember in 2003 when Bush Stood on the deck of the aircraft carrier and in front of the sign saying " Mission Accompished"... I think there has been over 2500 americans die after that statement in Iraq.. SO! THings are going Just Great!!.. Wait a Sec.. Didnt North Korea have Nukes and brag about having nukes before we invaded Iraq for having WMDs??( WMDs that have not been found yet by the way)

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 08:20 AM

If you are so worried about terrorists, why aren't you down on the border with the Minutemen. Our southern border is wide open, not to mention our ports.

Do you realize where Gp83 and I live? We not only get whoever gets through Border Control and the Minutemen coming up through here, we also have one of the nation's largest ports. I think staying right here in Portland and watching for suspicious activity is one million times more effective than sending someone like Gp83, who can't live without football, to the border.

What did you make of the Bush administration's efforts to transfer port security to Dubai? Did that make any sense to you?

Let me ask you a question: How long has it been since Dubai has funded terrorists? It's been 11 years and several policy changes since any proven relation with terrorists. The port security was last handled by a Great Britain company, and Dubai was simply buying out the GB company. They had no plans to directly control it - they had already PROMISED the GB officials would stay in control.

Now quite honestly, I'm against ANY foreign government even OWNING anything in the United States. But if you protested the port security transfer and you buy gas from Citgo, then you my friend are a hypocrite.

Someday we will have to go back to being a normal country rather than trying to project an empire. We cannot afford this much longer.

That much I agree with you on. But a slow pullout of Iraq will be 894982734921874293874 times more effective than the philosophy of "let's bring everyone home. Today."

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 08:21 AM
...Wal(China)-Mart is the largest employer in this country.

Wal-Mart is still owned by the five surviving Waltons, to the best of my knowledge, and all still live in the US... two of them right here in Texas.

9-11 was an inside job? Because a few Middle-Easterners had student visas to be in America? How is that 'inside?'

OK, I'm tired of the whole WMD thing. Liberals, conservatives, I don't care... I don't think anyone knows what was really going on... either that or they just don't want to know... and the government has been so bad about keeping us informed it's no wonder we have all this misinformation.

Our intelligence worked with Mossad (Israeli CIA) and determined that there were WMD's. We went in AND FOUND THEM. Sarin and mustard gas toxins were found-- and those are both WMD's, no matter what anyone else tells you. They found hundreds of other instances in which UN policies had been ignored, and even found low-grade uranium (had already been somewhat-enriched, but didn't yet have nuclear capability) in Iraq, but it didn't quite constitute a WMD.

If you don't believe that they had them, that's fine. But I read this in both the New York Times and the Dallas Morning News right after the war was finished... one of the most notoriously left-winged papers and one of the most notoriously right in the country. Google it.

Also, anyone who doesn't believe Saddam was up to something is a fool. Six weeks after he signed that original UN peace treaty back in 1993, an Iraqi convoy was busted carrying components for their nuclear program. There's been three other instances since then and Saddam was playing games with UN inspectors, so don't try to tell me (someone who actually reads up on this stuff from both sides) that the Iraq invasion wasn't warranted.

As far as why our troops don't go into North Korea, just look at the American public right now. We're crying because we don't want to finish something that we started. Some of the flakiest people in the world... not to mention the fact that our forces are already spread thin between Iraq, Afghanistan, and our hundreds of peacekeeping missions across the globe.

And yes, N. Korea does warrant an invasion, IMO, but that whole situation is a whole lot touchier than the Iraq ordeal. You have almost 2 billion people within the immediate vicinity, not to mention the most technologically-advanced country in the world and the hub of the economy in the Orient. Kim Jong-Il would love nothing more than to ruin everyone else's currency... his own is already crap.

Aesculus gilmus
07-05-2006, 08:23 AM
No one ever addresses the financial unsustainability of the "global cop" role we've unilaterally taken on.

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 08:25 AM
No one ever addresses the financial unsustainability of the "global cop" role we've unilaterally taken on.

Again, I agree with you on the unsustainability. However, what is hurting us just as badly are the numerous free trade agreements which have allowed our manufacturing industries to be outsourced. Also killing us is our reluctance to reclaim a favorable balance of trade. You cannot pay off the debt until you start bringing money in.

Phil C
07-05-2006, 08:28 AM
CALM DOWN!! :mad: :( :eek:

big daddy russ
07-05-2006, 08:30 AM
And I agree with you there. My generation is going to be the ones that it affects if we don't do something soon. Every American shares about $33,000 of the national debt individually, and it'll probably be twice that by the time I turn 50 if we keep issuing more bonds. The budget was just approved to take out another trillion dollars in bonds several months ago, bringing the grand total up to dang near $10 trillion.

Aesculus gilmus
07-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Let me ask you a question: How long has it been since Dubai has funded terrorists?

About half the country still believes the "official" version of 9/11. I don't.

However, since you do, this statement astounds me. Two of the 19 hijackers who supposedly pulled off 9/11 all by themselves were citizens of the United Arab Emirates (one of which is Dubai). Dubai banks were a transit point for at least $100,000 of the funding.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=22983
"Before 9-11, the UAE sponsored hunting camps in Afghanistan attended by Osama bin Laden. In fact, according to U.S. intelligence, UAE Defense Minister Gen. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum requisitioned a C-130 cargo plane to deliver Toyota Land Cruisers, weapons and other supplies to bin Laden at one of the camps a year after the terrorist kingpin attacked U.S. embassies in Africa.

"Sheikh Mohammed, now the ruler of Dubai, knew bin Laden was wanted by the U.S., but provided him material support nonetheless."

Chief Woodman
07-05-2006, 08:36 AM
This reads alot like a political thread, which is SUPPOSED to be against the rules.

Phil C
07-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
This reads alot like a political thread, which is SUPPOSED to be against the rules.

CALM DOWN!! :mad: :( :eek:

Gp83
07-05-2006, 08:41 AM

Freedom ain't cheap;)

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 08:42 AM
"Before 9-11"

So he did this in the year 856, eh? The time frame is too broad. The $100,000 money transit took place in 1995. None has been transported since. The only thing that troubled me in that article was the 1999 hunting trip. Prove Sheikh Mohammad was on that trip and I'll retract my statement by saying that it's been 7 years, not 11, since Dubai (Dubai itself, not the UAE) has funded terrorists.

Aesculus, Yes, I was against DPW taking over port security. But I'm also against Citgo. My point is, there are certain things we get all up in arms over on our doorstep when something WORSE is sneaking in through the back door.

griff
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman

Thanks, Chief. Why doesn't everyone PM each other to continue this discussion. Let's keep politics off the board.

So, how about those Bears?

Phil C
07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by griff
Thanks, Chief. Why doesn't everyone PM each other to continue this discussion. Let's keep poilitics off the board.

So, how about those Bears?

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

Gp83
07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
what a goof ball. thats not good

RMAC
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM

We do that b/c if they might have them, why not take them away before they have them for sure. In the case w/ N. Korea, we know they have them, more likely ones that they could use for battlefield purposes, ergo, we're not just going to run in there, guns blazing. Plus, as much as it pains me to say this, N. Korea is run by some people that seem to be a little smarter, not more sensible by any means, but perhaps smarter.

Ranger Mom
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by griff
Thanks, Chief. Why doesn't everyone PM each other to continue this discussion. Let's keep politics off the board.

I agree 100%................had I seen this thread earlier, it wouldn't have gone on as long as it did!

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok. Let this thread...die. (the only reason why I am posting this here is because it's already on top)

JasperDog94
07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
We went in AND FOUND THEM. Sarin and mustard gas toxins were found-- and those are both WMD's, no matter what anyone else tells you. They found hundreds of other instances in which UN policies had been ignored, and even found low-grade uranium (had already been somewhat-enriched, but didn't yet have nuclear capability) in Iraq... :clap: :clap: :clap: It's about time this was brought up.

CalallenWildcat
07-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Ok. Let this thread...die. (the only reason why I am posting this here is because it's already on top)