PDA

View Full Version : Where in the heck is Giddings??

Phantom Stang
07-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok, I know I can look on Mapquest.:p
What I really want to know, is why they're on just about every pre-season top 10 poll that I see.:thinking:

Phil C
07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
It is about 50 miles south of Cameron.

SWMustang
07-03-2006, 04:25 PM
It's on 290 between Houston and Austin. On the east end of town is alittle convenience store called Buckys. They have the cleanest restrooms around in case you have to make a pit stop.

Phantom Stang
07-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Are they in Region 3?

big daddy russ
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Are they in Region 3?
Yup.

They have a QB who (I hear... never seen him play) is amazing. Brock Fitzhenry. Will be a junior this year... and they return most of their starters, 7 on each side I think.

griff
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
You would do yourself a favor to learn more about other 3A schools, regions, and who else plays football besides Sweetwater and the teams in your district.

I saw the QB from Giddings play last year. He's small and quick on his feet. He's good at running the option, but he can't throw a beachball in the ocean. Defenses will have a tough time stopping their rushing attack. But if Giddings gets behind, they do not play catch up with their style of offense. They have enough players returning to merit the top 10 ranking.

Gobbla2001
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
290 to you, 77 to me :D

And it is very hard to throw a beach ball INTO the ocean, the wind is blowing in your face at most times and the beacball is not a great throwing tool... jk, I understand what you meant...

Phantom Stang
07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by griff
You would do yourself a favor to learn more about other 3A schools, regions, and who else plays football besides Sweetwater and the teams in your district.

Why do you think I asked about Giddings in the first place? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the rest of your post was informative, so thanks.:)

injuredinmelee
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
all i knwo i when i go through there i go through Elgin first and get me some sausage...
Us fat guys know where the good stops are.

STANG RED
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
all i knwo i when i go through there i go through Elgin first and get me some sausage...

Thats great sausage. I had my first, just a month or so ago. I usually get Opa's all beef sausage from Fredricksburg.

espn1
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
If you want good sausage? Pick up some V&V at HEB and throw it on the Pit.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
If you are wondering why Giddings is on the top 10 in every pre-season poll that you see, I have some answers for you. They return the majority of their starters, and all of them were key players on last years team that made it to the regional finals. They basically run the ball every play with their quarterback, Fitzhenry, and their fullback, Jarmon. They have a lot of speed on both sides of the ball and they play tough, that's for sure.

sinton66
07-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Go a little farther east and pick up some sausage from Chapel Hill. Trust me, that's the best store-bought sausage I've ever had, particularily the smoked garlic variety, mmmmmmm!

griff
07-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Why do you think I asked about Giddings in the first place? :rolleyes:

Anyway, the rest of your post was informative, so thanks.:)

It's just interesting how so many posters on this board are shortsided about anything outside of their little town. That's what I meant.

By the way, where in the heck is Sweetwater? :D

Phantom Stang
07-04-2006, 04:58 PM

By the way, where in the heck is Sweetwater? :D
Oh.... I reckon it's a pretty good way from Kingwood.
Wherever the heck THAT is!:D

KTJ
07-04-2006, 04:59 PM
It's just interesting how so many posters on this board are shortsided about anything outside of their little town. That's what I meant.

Is it a requirement to know everything about every 3A school/town?

LH Panther Mom
07-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Is it a requirement to know everything about every 3A school/town?
One can try to, like me. :p

griff
07-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Panther Mom. You're response is exactly what I was hoping to generate. It's refreshing to see others who have a wider scope of interest in 3A football beyond their little local world. I just wish more people here would take the same interest. I live in and follow football in Region 3, but I'm also interested in what happens with Region 1, 2 and 4 schools in case my 3A school happens to meet them in the playoffs in football or any other sport. I want to know more about the schools, football teams, and traditions of others schools besides my own.

FYI...my question was rhetorical. I do know where Sweetwater is. I also know they were a successful 4A program not long ago. Kingwood is a community north of Houston near Bush Intercontinental Airport. Their high school is 5A, but that's not my alma mater.

Cameron Crazy
07-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes,Kingwood is very good at basketball. The head coach was my coach a TABC last year.

KTJ
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Thank you, Panther Mom. You're response is exactly what I was hoping to generate. It's refreshing to see others who have a wider scope of interest in 3A football beyond their little local world. I just wish more people here would take the same interest. I live in and follow football in Region 3, but I'm also interested in what happens with Region 1, 2 and 4 schools in case my 3A school happens to meet them in the playoffs in football or any other sport. I want to know more about the schools, football teams, and traditions of others schools besides my own.

I was just asking dude. I pretty much know where every 3A school is and what they are about and I'm sure most people here do too.

Your initial question came off as kind of haughty, rather than inquisitive. But then again, that's the internet for ya....you can never tell the real meaning behind something.

big daddy russ
07-04-2006, 08:44 PM
...It's refreshing to see others who have a wider scope of interest in 3A football beyond their little local world. I just wish more people here would take the same interest... I want to know more about the schools, football teams, and traditions of others schools besides my own...

What I really want to know, is why they're on just about every pre-season top 10 poll that I see.:thinking:
OK, maybe I'm lost here, but isn't that exactly what Stang was doing? I answered his question to the best of my knowledge. How did he offend you?

From the outside looking in, it sounds like he's trying to have a wider scope of interest in 3A football beyond his little local world. Are you mad because of it???

I guess I'm just not following your logic here. You're upset because he needs to have a broader scope of the football landscape but he should come onto this message board with prior knowledge. That's the message we're all getting from you.

griff
07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
KTJ, my response was not directed toward you, but toward the original question of "Where in the heck is Giddings?"

I used that question as an opportunity to dovetail into commenting on how too many posters at the downlow don't have an appreciation of teams, schools, and towns involved in 3A football that are outside their region. The "Where in the heck is Giddings" was a good example of that kind of thinking. It sounded like, "Who are they...I've never heard of them, so they can't be that good."

Phantom Stang
07-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I titled this thread with the question, "Where the heck is Giddings", partly to draw attention, and partly because I truely didn't know where the heck Giddings is.
No other reasons than that.

BTEXDAD
07-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I titled this thread with the question, "Where the heck is Giddings", partly to draw attention, and partly because I truely didn't know where the heck Giddings is.
No other reasons than that.

Sweetwater is where the Rattle snake roundup is.

They also used to have some hellacious hail storms. I was an insurance adjuster in my younger life some 20 years ago and spent three weeks in a row in sweetwater adjusting hail losses.
Not a bad town to be in, but I had found every bar and restaurant by the end of the first week.
there's probably some new ones by now(?)

buffpride
07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Don't forget City Meat Market in downtown Giddings on the corner of 290 and 77. One of the best "made fresh everyday" BBQ places around. Still serve you on brown butcher paper. No plates here.

buffpride
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
As for the team....very potent running game. This year's team should be better than last year. We will see. If they can stay healthy throughout the season they should make a good showing in the playoffs. Fitzhenry and Jarmon will be running behind a strong offensive line and defensively they should be solid behind the two linebackers, Dock and Clemons.

gold_33
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Sept 1 Wimberley at Giddings should be one of the best matchups of the opening week, both times have to come out firing right outta the gate.