PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 2

Phil C
07-03-2006, 08:53 AM
No one here has been posting updates on this great 2006 event and shame on us all. :( Today is the second stage even though on Saturday they did have what they called a short time trial (just a little over 4 miles). For the next several days it is expected to be dominated by the sprinters until we get to the mountain stages.
I will report as I get information but alas, unlike last year, I have been unable to find live up to date reports. :( You can watch the tour in the mornings or wait till night at about 7 P.M. when the stages are reshown. The beautiful part is that you can see the country of France and its' beautiful cities as well as enjoy a great race which is wide open this year since Lance has retired.
On day 1 Tur Husshor of Norway won on the first day narrowly over American George Hincape who after Sunday leads the race. Mr. Hincape is considered one of the early favorites of the race and if he can finish the race he has a good chance because he is a good mountain climber. There are several Americans that are considered challengers who consist of Mr. Hincape who is wearing the yellow jersey. David Zambriski is in 3rd place but will probably fade out in the mountains and Floyd Landis who is a contender is in 9th place. It is very close right now between all the places so anything can happen.
Unfortunately, two favorites Ivan Basso of Italy and Jan Ulrich of Germany were forbinnen by the Tour because of implications in a Spanish Drug investigation. The comentators agree if they are guilty they deserve to be banned but if it turns out these men are not guilty then it will be one of the greatest injustices ever done and the Tour de France officials will lose credibility which has suffered much recently due to their unsuccessful attacks on Lance.
The French did get some glory when Jimmy Casper of France won the second stage. It is great for the French but I don't think he is a long term contender.
Yesterday Tur Hushovd was injured by a spectator who was holding out a big plastic hand. His arm was cut but hopefully he will be back today. Also fortunately it happened just a few feet from the finish line and he was able to finish yesterday's race. Spectators please do not hold things out in front of the riders and please stay off of the roads. It is ok to cheer and support the riders but safety must be first priority. Please do not through bottles, water or other things on the road. Remember the riders will be given water as needed by their coaches who follow behind in cars.
I don't have any information on the 2nd stage today yet since I can't find anywhere live so I will post later. Remember we get to enjoy this great event on OLN TV until July 23. Good times indeed! Vive le Tour!!

pirate44
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
its funny how Lance isnt in it and i didnt even realize it was going on

Phil C
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Lance is riding in one of the press cars and does do daily comentary on OLN.

WOSgrad
07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Here is the website:

http://www.letour.fr/

Phil C
07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by WOSgrad
Here is the website:

http://www.letour.fr/

Thank you WOS! :) :clap:

Phil C
07-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks to WOS I can give you an update. There is still some ways to go. Some good news is that appearantly the injury to Tur Hushovd was not seriously injured and is racing well today.
He has taken the lead for the yellow jersey from George Hincape because of his third place in a sprint. But it is very close. This isn't expected because George is a mountain climber like Lance and usually these early stages are won by the sprinters. Still it is encouraging if Geroge can stay close to the leaders. The race is still wide open though which makes for a thrilling Tour de France.

Others of you that want to report please feel free to do so. Also comments on the how the race is going are appreciated.

Last year I was unable to find a chat room in which the race could be discussed intelligently.

pirate44
07-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Phil_c, me being the lazy guy i am, and not wanting to do the research, are there any Americans seriously favored this year?

never mind, i just finished reading it :doh:

District303aPastPlayer
07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Yesterday, the guy who won the prologue was pushed into the guard rail in the final sprint, and his arm was severly cut... he went down after the finish line as the peleton was crossing... not a pretty sight.

George Hincapie is your yellow jersey...

District303aPastPlayer
07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
Phil_c, me being the lazy guy i am, and not wanting to do the research, are there any Americans seriously favored this year?

never mind, i just finished reading it :doh:

George Hincapie and Bobby Julich are looking good. Hincapie was Lance's water guy, seriously, the past 2-3 years

JasperDog94
07-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Is Barry Bonds participating in the "Tour de Rhoids" this year?

District303aPastPlayer
07-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Is Barry Bonds participating in the "Tour de Rhoids" this year?

naaa... he got thrown out like Jan Ulrich :)

CalallenWildcat
07-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Last year I was unable to find a chat room in which the race could be discussed intelligently.

Not even in French?

Phil C
07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
As expected Tur Huschod of Norway now has the yellow jersey. Robbie McEwen of Australia won stage 2. There was a crash in the peloton which halted about half the riders with 1/2 mile to go. I don't know what that had an effect on. Right now the sprinters are dominated the standings but that was expected.

CalallenWildcat
07-03-2006, 11:17 AM
As expected Tur Huschod of Norway now has the yellow jersey. Robbie McEwen of Australia won stage 2. There was a crash in the peloton which halted about half the riders with 1/2 mile to go. I don't know what that had an effect on. Right now the sprinters are dominated the standings but that was expected.

The Mountain Stages are the fun ones...Armstrong jamais n'a bien fait dans les étapes d'ouverture

Phil C
07-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GPWildcat
The Mountain Stages are the fun ones...Armstrong jamais n'a bien fait dans les étapes d'ouverture

GP que je pense que George Hincapie fera bien dans les montagnes. Meme mantenent il est calme dans le quatriema endroit loin derriere les dirigeants.

pirate44
07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
GP que je pense que George Hincapie fera bien dans les montagnes. Meme mantenent il est calme dans le quatriema endroit loin derriere les dirigeants.
:eek: hey!! this is Texas!! speak Texican

CalallenWildcat
07-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Texas French? LOL that would be Frenxan.

J'espère que Hincapie peut gagner.

Phil C
07-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Montre quelque Compassion! :mad:

:D