PDA

View Full Version : On This Day

BlueBlood
07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
On This Day

This Day in History

1608: French explorer Samuel de Champlain establishes the first permanent European settlement in Canada, a trading post along the St. Lawrence River that becomes the city of Québec.

1775: George Washington takes command of the Continental Army of the American colonies at Cambridge, Massachusetts.

1819: The first savings bank in the United States opens: the Bank for Savings in New York City.

1863: A Confederate charge led by General George E. Pickett fails to break the Union line in the Battle of Gettysburg, sealing a Union victory and turning the tide of the Civil War.

1962: After a long and brutal colonial war and a vote by Algerians for independence, French president Charles de Gaulle proclaims the independence of Algeria from France.

1971: American rock singer Jim Morrison, leader of the Doors, dies in Paris of a drug overdose.

Born on This Day

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, feminist and writer (1860)

Leos Janácek, composer (1854)

John Copley, painter (1738)

Tom Cruise, actor, idiot (1962)

Tom Stoppard, playwright (1937)

M. F. K. Fisher, food writer (1908)

Ranger Mom
07-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood

Born on This Day

This one made me laugh!!:clap:

hawkfan
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by BlueBlood

Born on This Day

LMAO

District303aPastPlayer
07-03-2006, 08:45 AM
i laughed at it too

Phil C
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
The North could have probably ended the war right after Gettysburgh. When retreating the South was delayed by a heavy running river caused by rains up North and could not cross (I dont' recall the river). President Lincoln realized this opportunity and urged the union army to move and capture General Lee and his army but the unior army procrastinated (Remember they had large casualities too). When the unior army finally moved the river went down and the Southern Army crossed and escaped thus insuring that the war would last a couple of more years.

Phil C
07-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Tom Cruse has made lots of good movies (Imazing how good direction and good script writing can make someone look good :))

He was in the Paul Newman movie Color of Money. It was the movie that finally won the oscar for Paul Newman which I guess Hollywood awarded it to him out of guilt because he had made other movies in which he deserved to win the oscar - much more than this movie in my opinion but I was glad they finally awarded him one.

Tom Cruse was also great in his first movie as the doomed boyfriend in the great Burt Lancaster movie Atlantic City.

District303aPastPlayer
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Tom Cruse has made lots of good movies (Imazing how good direction and good script writing can make someone look good :))

He was in the Paul Newman movie Color of Money. It was the movie that finally won the oscar for Paul Newman which I guess Hollywood awarded it to him out of guilt because he had made other movies in which he deserved to win the oscar - much more than this movie in my opinion but I was glad they finally awarded him one.

Tom Cruse was also great in his first movie as the doomed boyfriend in the great Burt Lancaster movie Atlantic City.

i thought his first movie was Risky Business?