PDA

View Full Version : Best high school, non-playoff game?

kepdawg
06-30-2006, 09:01 AM
What is the best high school, non-playoff game you have seen?

This is a test to see how many playoff games get mentioned.

Adidas410s
06-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Cooper 34 vs Permian 35 -1994 @ Ratliff Stadium. Cooper was up 21-0 after the 1st quarter. This was the Abilene Cooper team that had Zac Allen (1st Team All-State) @ QB and Dominic Rhodes @ RB...both of them were juniors at the time. Permian came back and took the lead at 35-21 in the middle of the 4th quarter. Cooper drives down and scores with about a minute left to make the game 35-28. They kick a perfect onside (Ratliff still had turf...ball hit and bounced over Permian's front line and Cooper recovered) and drive down and score another touchdown with about 10 seconds left in the game. This was also the last year that penetrations were used to break ties. Well Cooper was tied on penetrations but ahead on the 2nd category (1st downs I think???)...however, Randy Allen (now the coach at HP) thought they were behind in 1st downs...so he chooses to go for 2 instead of kick the XP. They then decide to run a halfback pass with Rhodes. He gets the ball on a sweep to the left side but when he pulls up to throw he is hit by a few Permian defenders and never gets off a pass...ballgame! Permian beat Cooper the following year 15-9 in the snow at Shotwell (I sat in the car during the 2nd half so that I could "thaw out") so it wouldn't be until 1996 that Cooper finally beat Permian for the first time in about 27-30 years.

Adidas410s
06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
man this is a hot topic!

44INAROW
06-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
man this is a hot topic!
I've been thinking on this..... (hurts doing that) ironically, the most exciting and close games in the last 2 years (PRESEASON) have been the Cuero/Wharton games.. down to the last play of the game....

gato 76
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Bay City- ElCampo 2004 in EC.Bay City down 17-7 with 3:50 in the 4th qt ,came back to beat them 21-17.

DaHop72
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Lubbock Estacado and Sweetwater on October 17, 1968.

Sweetwater lost that game 7-0 and Lubbock Estacado went on to win the state championship that year. Estacado never had as close a game than the game against the Mustangs. Since Sweetater and Lubbock Estacado were in the same district, Estacado advanced because of that night in October 1968. Later, that Mustang team carried the title "one of the best teams in Mustang history NOT to have gone to the playoffs."

Much has been said about that one game in Sweetwater's history. To this day, players from both Estacado and Sweetwater say that was the hardest fought game they were ever in

Sweetwater Red
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72

Sweetwater lost that game 7-0 and Lubbock Estacado went on to win the state championship that year. Estacado never had as close a game than the game against the Mustangs. Since Sweetater and Lubbock Estacado were in the same district, Estacado advanced because of that night in October 1968. Later, that Mustang team carried the title "one of the best teams in Mustang history NOT to have gone to the playoffs."

Much has been said about that one game in Sweetwater's history. To this day, players from both Estacado and Sweetwater say that was the hardest fought game they were ever in

My boss was on that team. I've heard that whole story a few
times..:D

DaHop72
06-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
My boss was on that team. I've heard that whole story a few
times..:D And probably ever bit of it true.:weeping: :weeping:

Adidas410s
06-30-2006, 11:02 AM

same thing happened with my dad's team @ Brownwood in 68 or 69. They lost to Estacado (I believe it was 7-0) and that was the closest game that Estacado had all season on their way to winning the state title.

big daddy russ
06-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Ingleside/Aransas Pass back in 2001 was a great game. Huge rivalry (high schools are only 4.6 miles apart), five lead changes throughout the game, came down to the last play of the game. A win would've sent Ingleside to the playoffs for only the second time since 1964. Oh, and nearly 5,000 fans were packed into a stadium that was designed to hold about 3,000.

Down 28-21 with about a minute to play, Ingleside drove the ball down the field and scored with less than five seconds to play. 28-27 with the conversion coming.

Ingleside goes for two, runs a misdirection. The entire defense is drawn to the left side of the field save one man, LB Leon Belfon. Ingleside's senior RB Brian Chatman then ducks away from the line and sprints off to the right side.

Chatman placed second in district in the 100 his freshman year. He was consistently one of the three fastest men in the district throughout his HS career (Sinton's Marcus Charles and Bubba Heard would trade victories with B.C.). He could cover 100 yards in less than 10.8 seconds. He could cover 40 in about 4.4. And there's two yards, half a field, and only one man between this little speed demon and a victory.

Belfon finds the angle, stops him on the one-yard line. Game. Set. Match.

tigerpride_08
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
i agree with the wharton/cuero games...the one in 2004 was a amazing!!...i was a freshman that year and got to travel with the varsity...i think the score was like 56-55...all i remember it was very heated on the sideline...

Phil C
06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
One of the best games was in Sinton vs Aransas Pass game in 1997 (I think). A tough game and after the fourth quarter it was tied 21 to 21. Sinton won the overtime toss and played defense. Aransas Pass scored to make it 28 to 21 after the kick. Sinton scores a td and since the team was tired the coach decided to go for two points. Sinton makes the conversion and wins 29 to 28 in a great hard fought game by two teams.

Also, another great game was two years ago in Cuero between two ranked teams (Sinton and Cuero). Cuero wins a close one 35 to 28 in a well played game by both sides. It was so well played that even though we lost you went away feeling good by the efforts of the kids.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2006, 11:36 AM
same thing happened with my dad's team @ Brownwood in 68 or 69. They lost to Estacado (I believe it was 7-0) and that was the closest game that Estacado had all season on their way to winning the state title.
Ooooh, I wonder if your dad was on the team with our CEO. :thinking:

c-town_balla
06-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Cameron 21 Giddings 20

Two ranked teams battling it out cameron was down 20-0 and half and came back. Cameron blocked a Gidding Field Goal with 5 seconds left to seal the win.

44INAROW
06-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Also, another great game was two years ago in Cuero between two ranked teams (Sinton and Cuero). Cuero wins a close one 35 to 28 in a well played game by both sides. It was so well played that even though we lost you went away feeling good by the efforts of the kids.

Phil, that would have been my next choice..... Great Comeback by the Pirates for sure

Adidas410s
06-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Phil, that would have been my next choice..... Great Comeback by the Pirates for sure

was that the game when Cuero was up like 35-7 or 35-14 before Sinton made a late comeback to get the score close?

Old Tiger
06-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Manor vs. Liberty Hill - 2 years ago I believe

Phil C
06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
was that the game when Cuero was up like 35-7 or 35-14 before Sinton made a late comeback to get the score close?

That is it Ad. I think it was 28 to 14 at the half but I am not sure.

CalallenWildcat
06-30-2006, 02:14 PM
#10 Calallen vs. #1 Gregory-Portland in 2004.

Scoreless first half, then in the 3rd quarter Calallen scored a TD and got a two-point conversion. With about 4 minutes left, GP tied it up. Then the kickoff was returned all the way to the GP 32 by Calallen. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Calallen got like 4 yards on a pass play, but then on the next play, Calallen was picked off and GP took over on their own 22 yard line. By then, there was only three minutes left. GP ran a toss play to the far side of the field and their all-state RB Connell Davis broke a tackle and then broke away, going 78 yards for the winning touchdown. The GP fans were going crazy; I was sitting on the home side at about the 50 yard line and I thought the stadium was about to fall down - it was actually shaking and swaying as the fans were going crazy. And it's not a run-down stadium, either. I believe the announced attendance for that game was 12,000 - GP's stadium holds 8,000.

Gp83
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by GPWildcat
#10 Calallen vs. #1 Gregory-Portland in 2004.

Scoreless first half, then in the 3rd quarter Calallen scored a TD and got a two-point conversion. With about 4 minutes left, GP tied it up. Then the kickoff was returned all the way to the GP 32 by Calallen. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Calallen got like 4 yards on a pass play, but then on the next play, Calallen was picked off and GP took over on their own 22 yard line. By then, there was only three minutes left. GP ran a toss play to the far side of the field and their all-state RB Connell Davis broke a tackle and then broke away, going 78 yards for the winning touchdown. The GP fans were going crazy; I was sitting on the home side at about the 50 yard line and I thought the stadium was about to fall down - it was actually shaking and swaying as the fans were going crazy. And it's not a run-down stadium, either. I believe the announced attendance for that game was 12,000 - GP's stadium holds 8,000.

I was there and that was one of the most hard hitting games I have ever witnessed. :eek:

Txbroadcaster
06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
As a fan I will go way back in 1988

Odessa Permian vs Marshall

When you talk regions now, East Texas is considered a power region in All classes, well back in 88 tht was not how it was. 5A had been weak for a while with exception of Longview.

Permian came to Marshall ranked 5th in state, Marshall was 10th, but most people thought that Permian would handle the small town East Tx team with ease.

a GREAT game, hard hitting, 95 degree Saturday, players getting sick, but not coming out. Some of the best football I have seen ( especially for it to be so early in season.

Marshall wins 13-12, on the strength of a defensive stand on a two-point conversion late in the game...Permian player tries for the corner and looks to have it made, dives, and is met at last moment by a Maverick defender and pushes him literally inches from the pylon out of bounds.

BTw..Marshall of 1988 is the best team to not win state I have ever seen. They lost to Carter in the play-offs 22-18 on pretty much a last second play.

Now as a broadcaster, This is not a game per se, but a regular season moment....My year as Canton's PBP was Kinne's first year there.

In game one Canton had lost to 2A Grand Saline in a close one mainly because GJ Kinne had four TO's in his first varsity game including fumbling at the Grand saline 5 with no one around him and the ball is picked up and returned 95 yards for game winning TD....

So in game two agianst Lone Oak, alot of Canton fans were rumbling that the coach's son who is a freshman should not be starting and so on.

First play from scrimmage, Kinne takes snap, rolls left, breaks three tackles, reverses field,( three times) takes a blindside shot from LB, staggers, does not fall, regains self and proceeds to run 75 yds for TD, The play takes honestly almost 3 mins off the clock

Then second play from scrimmage after stopping Lone Oak..Same thing happens except for Kinne as he is reversing fields for third or fourth time, stops on a dime, and heaves the ball off his back foot, while being hit 45 yds in the air on a rope to his WR for 72 yd TD...Those two plays, showed what Kinne had as far as talent.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Did you sit on our side? :D

CalallenWildcat
06-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
As a fan I will go way back in 1988

Odessa Permian vs Marshall

When you talk regions now, East Texas is considered a power region in All classes, well back in 88 tht was not how it was. 5A had been weak for a while with exception of Longview.

Permian came to Marshall ranked 5th in state, Marshall was 10th, but most people thought that Permian would handle the small town East Tx team with ease.

a GREAT game, hard hitting, 95 degree Saturday, players getting sick, but not coming out. Some of the best football I have seen ( especially for it to be so early in season.

Marshall wins 13-12, on the strength of a defensive stand on a two-point conversion late in the game...Permian player tries for the corner and looks to have it made, dives, and is met at last moment by a Maverick defender and pushes him literally inches from the pylon out of bounds.

BTw..Marshall of 1988 is the best team to not win state I have ever seen. They lost to Carter in the play-offs 22-18 on pretty much a last second play.

Now as a broadcaster, This is not a game per se, but a regular season moment....My year as Canton's PBP was Kinne's first year there.

In game one Canton had lost to 2A Grand Saline in a close one mainly because GJ Kinne had four TO's in his first varsity game including fumbling at the Grand saline 5 with no one around him and the ball is picked up and returned 95 yards for game winning TD....

So in game two agianst Lone Oak, alot of Canton fans were rumbling that the coach's son who is a freshman should not be starting and so on.

First play from scrimmage, Kinne takes snap, rolls left, breaks three tackles, reverses field,( three times) takes a blindside shot from LB, staggers, does not fall, regains self and proceeds to run 75 yds for TD, The play takes honestly almost 3 mins off the clock

Then second play from scrimmage after stopping Lone Oak..Same thing happens except for Kinne as he is reversing fields for third or fourth time, stops on a dime, and heaves the ball off his back foot, while being hit 45 yds in the air on a rope to his WR for 72 yd TD...Those two plays, showed what Kinne had as far as talent.

Terry, Terry, Terry, IM me sometimes...not now though because I'm not on.

UPanIN
06-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Bellville vs Navasota 2004 season

I think the score was Navasota 38 Bellville 35

Great game.

maroogreen
06-30-2006, 04:23 PM
1988 - Mathis beat Sinton for the first time in like a gazillion years after Mathis's AD left after one year to become the Sinton AD. Don't remember the score--just the feeling of euphoria after it was over :D

2004 - Cuero/Sinton game. It got so intense that I had to leave the stands for awhile and wander around by the concession stand because I was having chest pains.

I thought both Wharton/Cuero games for the last two years were pretty intense.

cdlvj
06-30-2006, 04:57 PM
1994 SA MacArthur vs Judson.

This was when Judson was a power house. They had previously beat Mac by at least 50 points in previous games.

Judson had a 60 game district winning streak.
MacArthur won 32-31.

If I am not mistaken, La Grange also upset Sealy that same year when Sealy was winning everything.

Phil C
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM
It was 2A but when I was a senior at Freer High School (1967) we played Hebbronville for the District Championship (this was back when only the district champion went into the playoffs and in case of a tie there was no overtime but then it went to penetrations). Hebrronville had a great passing attack. It was a close game. We got ahead 20 to 12 but Hebbronville made a td in about the middle of the fourth quarter to make it 20 to 18. Hebbronville went for 2 of course and if they had made them they would have had the edge in penetration and advanced into the playoffs. On the two point conversion the Hebbronville player caught a pass just a foot outside the endzone so Freer had the lead (the player was a class act and admitted he was out of bounds). Freer held on to win the game 20 to 18 (both teams deserved to advance but that was the rules then). Freer got two games into the playoffs and lost a close 0-6 game to San Antonio Randolph who the next week lost a close game to eventual state champion Sweeney 14-21.

Gobbla2001
06-30-2006, 05:23 PM

21-7 Cuero at half... 28-7, 28-14, 28-21, 35-21, 35-28 I think...

Gobbla2001
06-30-2006, 05:27 PM
My "personal" favorite would have to be my senior season (2000)...

We had never beaten Sealy and they were up 14-0 with five minutes left in the game IN Sealy...

then our qb broke loose on a bootleg for about 80 yards and the TD, untouched, weeving in and out of traffic (was so graceful, playing WR at Baylor this year now that he's all healthy and stuff).. Sealy 14 Cuero 7...

then we stop Sealy on defense and tie it at 14-14 on a 4th and goal from 'bout the 9... goes into OT...

We win the toss, play D and Sealy scores, 21-14... We score on ANOTHER 4th and goal (at the 6 I believe) to make the score 21-20...

We go for the tie, ball gets kicked, ball gets blocked and sails into the endzone... Sealy player tries to catch it, touches it, doesn't catch it and Cuero recovers...

Cuero 22 Sealy 21 final

44INAROW
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
My "personal" favorite would have to be my senior season (2000)...

We had never beaten Sealy and they were up 14-0 with five minutes left in the game IN Sealy...

then our qb broke loose on a bootleg for about 80 yards and the TD, untouched, weeving in and out of traffic (was so graceful, playing WR at Baylor this year now that he's all healthy and stuff).. Sealy 14 Cuero 7...

then we stop Sealy on defense and tie it at 14-14 on a 4th and goal from 'bout the 9... goes into OT...

We win the toss, play D and Sealy scores, 21-14... We score on ANOTHER 4th and goal (at the 6 I believe) to make the score 21-20...

We go for the tie, ball gets kicked, ball gets blocked and sails into the endzone... Sealy player tries to catch it, touches it, doesn't catch it and Cuero recovers...

Cuero 22 Sealy 21 final

that was a great game too....... much excitment for sure!

GetRDoneStangs
06-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Sweetwater vs. Snyder.... Believe it or Not.....:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Tiger stadium, neither team will go to the playoffs this year..:thinking: :thinking:

Snyder up by 1 point and have the ball deep in their own end of the field with very lttle time left. The Tiger QB takes the snap... goes back.... and.....
takes a knee!... This happens a couple more times and now the ball is inside the 5 with seconds left in the game. A ccouple of penalties occur and the ball is inside the one with NO TIME REMAINING!!....So a play must be ran with the last flag on the offense......:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

The Tiger QB can't take a knee because that would be a safety and give the victory to the Mustangs... he can't throw it away because that would be a safety as well....
He drops back.. throws the ball ... and it is INTECEPTED !! and returned for a touchdown!!!!

This game has been talked about for years now... I even sort of had a laugh about it with Coach Baugh (Now retired)... Like I said earlier, neither teams went to the playoff that year...but THE GAME will never be forgotten!

Cameron Crazy
06-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Someone doesnt like them tigers eh? lol:confused: :D

sahen
06-30-2006, 06:29 PM
1999 Baytown Sterling vs. #1 in State (#3 in nation i think, cant remember exactly) Katy....wrote about this several times on the board so if someone is really that interested u can find it or PM me....Sterling ended Katy's 35 game regular season winning streak (their seniors had never seen them lose a regular season game) on their homecoming 28-25.....oh yah Sterling was ranked before the game by the polling people around 105, one of the biggest upsets i have ever seen....

1999 Baytown Sterling vs. Baytown Lee....this rivalry is easiest one of the best in the state when the 2 teams r competitive, unfortunately for Baytown that doesnt happen often (Sterling has sucked for a long time now)....Sterling continuing their apparantly freak season and defeated Lee for the first time in about 10 years, Drew Tate was the freshman QB for Lee, who threw a late interception to seal the deal for Sterling and start the year long party that was ended by 3 straight drummings by a more experienced Lee squad (and perennial playoff contending).....Stallworth was full as it is for almost all of the promising and competitive Sterling/Lee games so atleast 14,000 were on hand....

199? (i was young so mid 90's or less) Liberty vs Stafford (i think? someone might the team better, but i think that was who it was, once again i was young so i cant remember that really)...Liberty was beat and Stafford was kneeling it down for the final time...a defensive lineman swatted the ball as it was snapped and punched it through the QB and saftey valve runningback's legs, a defensive back from Liberty beat the running back to the ball and ran it in for a touchdown for a Liberty win....pretty much the impossible happened right there, atleast it makes it where i always watch the kneeldown anticipating something to happen now.....

Old Green
06-30-2006, 06:35 PM
The CalAllen-Cuero games were always intense. Seemed like playoff games.

DaHop72
06-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Sweetwater vs. Snyder.... Believe it or Not.....:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Tiger stadium, neither team will go to the playoffs this year..:thinking: :thinking:

Snyder up by 1 point and have the ball deep in their own end of the field with very lttle time left. The Tiger QB takes the snap... goes back.... and.....
takes a knee!... This happens a couple more times and now the ball is inside the 5 with seconds left in the game. A ccouple of penalties occur and the ball is inside the one with NO TIME REMAINING!!....So a play must be ran with the last flag on the offense......:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

The Tiger QB can't take a knee because that would be a safety and give the victory to the Mustangs... he can't throw it away because that would be a safety as well....
He drops back.. throws the ball ... and it is INTECEPTED !! and returned for a touchdown!!!!

This game has been talked about for years now... I even sort of had a laugh about it with Coach Baugh (Now retired)... Like I said earlier, neither teams went to the playoff that year...but THE GAME will never be forgotten! Great story, lacking facts. The QB could have taken a knee, but since he and the WR had nearly had a touchdown a couple of plays earlier, they decided on their own to run it up for the first Snyder win in a long time. The safety, the real good player who later lost his life, great kid can't remember his name, laided back and waited and intercepted the ball and took it in for the touchdown. Ballgame. For about 5 seconds you could have heard a pin drop on both sides, everybody was so stunned. Then the Mustang side erupted. It was truly a game that will never be forgotten by both sides.

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2006, 07:00 PM
2002: Liberty Hill's win over Wimberley, 22-8 AT Wimberley (one of those special "mom" things)

2003: LH vs Llano - 20-19, Llano's go ahead TD called back on penalty

2004: LH vs Burnet - 27-28, decision was made to go for the win instead of the tie, 2-pt conversion failed by inches :(

2004: LH vs Manor - Manor ranked # 1 in the state :D

2005: LH vs Hutto - fight to the end, final 49-40

2005: Every game :D

DU_stud04
06-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Great story, lacking facts. The QB could have taken a knee, but since he and the WR had nearly had a touchdown a couple of plays earlier, they decided on their own to run it up for the first Snyder win in a long time. The safety, the real good player who later lost his life, great kid can't remember his name, laided back and waited and intercepted the ball and took it in for the touchdown. Ballgame. For about 5 seconds you could have heard a pin drop on both sides, everybody was so stunned. Then the Mustang side erupted. It was truly a game that will never be forgotten by both sides.

didnt that tale end with burrying a football at the 50 yard line? wasnt sure if that was fact or another urban legend between these 2 teams. my dad has told me about that story just about every year when we play them, and it never gets old.

GetRDoneStangs
06-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Great story, lacking facts. The QB could have taken a knee, but since he and the WR had nearly had a touchdown a couple of plays earlier, they decided on their own to run it up for the first Snyder win in a long time. The safety, the real good player who later lost his life, great kid can't remember his name, laided back and waited and intercepted the ball and took it in for the touchdown. Ballgame. For about 5 seconds you could have heard a pin drop on both sides, everybody was so stunned. Then the Mustang side erupted. It was truly a game that will never be forgotten by both sides

I have a copy of the game somewhere ???? I could not recall all of the details ...So I did make it vauge.. I did not want to bring up the fact of trying to run up the score.. (You know Trying to show Some Compassion!)... Anyway win or lose it was one for the ages!!

The safties name was Robbie Smith and he was killed in an automobile accident....

West22
06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
how about marlin stopping 4a ennis 35 game winning steak a couple of years ago?

DaHop72
06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
I have a copy of the game somewhere ???? I could not recall all of the details ...So I did make it vauge.. I did not want to bring up the fact of trying to run up the score.. (You know Trying to show Some Compassion!)... Anyway win or lose it was one for the ages!!

The safties name was Robbie Smith and he was killed in an automobile accident.... Hey, nothing wrong with compassion. It's just a fact of what high school kids sometime think.

The Smith kid was a good all around athlete if my memory serves me.

DaHop72
06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
didnt that tale end with burrying a football at the 50 yard line? wasnt sure if that was fact or another urban legend between these 2 teams. my dad has told me about that story just about every year when we play them, and it never gets old. Yeah, Du that's another urban legend. No football buried at the 50 that I know of.

joetexas
06-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Royse City 70
Mt. Vernon 60

hutex04
07-01-2006, 02:36 AM
hutto beating thorndale when we were in 2a like 14-7 to clinch a playoff spot. We were 5-4 and they were 8-1 before the game, and winning that game bumped them out from going to the playoffs that year. Great times

LHMom
07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

AWESOME GAME. I think that's one I'd probably pick, as well.

tigerpride_08
07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
do people not think us sticking with #1 Cuero 2 years straight and losing by a combined 2 points doesnt sound like good games...somebody had to watch them from on here

Sweetwater96
07-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Does anyone remember the Andrews/Sweetwater game from maybe 12 years back? Both teams were in 4A and ranked, it was the last game of the season before the playoffs. The winner would be the District Champion. It was played in Andrews and within the first 5 mins of the game Andrews was up 14-0. It was 28-14 in the 2nd QTR (andrews) and the game went back and forth in the 2nd half before Sweetwater won 51-40. That was an AWESOME game from back in the day....

Snydertigersrul
07-03-2006, 04:39 AM
In 2005, Snyder 27, Wylie 23 after the Tigers trailed 23-6 at halfitme. Snyder 21, Sweetwater 20 in the state quarterfinals at Big Spring.
In 2006, Snyder16, Wylie 13 after the Tigers trailed 13-3 with six minutes to play in the fourth quarter.

STANG RED
07-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater96
Does anyone remember the Andrews/Sweetwater game from maybe 12 years back? Both teams were in 4A and ranked, it was the last game of the season before the playoffs. The winner would be the District Champion. It was played in Andrews and within the first 5 mins of the game Andrews was up 14-0. It was 28-14 in the 2nd QTR (andrews) and the game went back and forth in the 2nd half before Sweetwater won 51-40. That was an AWESOME game from back in the day....

That was a great game, but there was also another year back then when Sweetwater and Andrews tied in the regular season, and again in the quarter finals of that same year. Sweetwater won both on penetrations. Both of those were great games. I dont remember the scores, but they were both pretty high scoring. It may have been 25-25 in the regular season game, and 34-34 in the quarter final game.
It seems like those games were played sometime in the mid to late 80s.

oh well
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM

This game has been talked about for years now... I even sort of had a laugh about it with Coach Baugh (Now retired)... Like I said earlier, neither teams went to the playoff that year...but THE GAME will never be forgotten!

I doubt coach Baugh laughed about it at all

Sweetwater Red
07-03-2006, 10:13 AM

Given your play by play...you can see why neither team was
gonna go to the play-offs.

What year was this and who intercepted the ball?

STANG RED
07-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Given your play by play...you can see why neither team was
gonna go to the play-offs.

What year was this and who intercepted the ball?

I was at that game, but I dont remember the kids name. The game was sometime in the early to mid 90s I think.
When that last series began, Sweetwater had all 3 timeouts left, and had regained all the momentum after a late score to get the score close. The Snyder QB (one of their coaches sons), and the Snyder coaching staff made alot of bad decisions in that last 4 plays. It was obvious, they wouldnt be able to simply run out the clock, with Sweetwater still having 3 timeouts. If they had just ran their regular offence, they probably could have won the game, but the QB kept kneeling too deep, and they got pinned back against the gole line. The kid then made an ill advised pass to the left that got picked off at about the 5 and ran in, over 2 or 3 tigers, just barely over the goal line. The score keeper, never even put the score up on the board. In fact, the scoreboard and stadium lights were turned off, before the teams even got off the field, and while fans were still in the stands.

Highschoolfan78
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with Gobbla on the sealy game.. that was personally my favorite to watch.. It ended in a weird way, but it was greatly in the Gobblers favor coming back in a few minutes.. Awesome!!

Mustangpride09
07-03-2006, 11:35 AM
The best nonplayoff game i've ever seen was this year. Sweetwater @ leveland. The whole game was back and forth, leading to a tie at halftime. With about 2 minutes left in the game, Leveland scores to go up by 7. We get the ball back and begin our drive. We get a 4th and 15 on our 45. Our running back skye green makes an amazing catch on our sideline, first down. So once again we get stuck at 4th and 10. We run a HB counter up the middle with Joseph Banyard, breaks 3 tackles while dragging a defensive end, throws him off, and scores the winning touchdown.

Sweetwater Red
07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
The best nonplayoff game i've ever seen was this year. Sweetwater @ leveland. The whole game was back and forth, leading to a tie at halftime. With about 2 minutes left in the game, Leveland scores to go up by 7. We get the ball back and begin our drive. We get a 4th and 15 on our 45. Our running back skye green makes an amazing catch on our sideline, first down. So once again we get stuck at 4th and 10. We run a HB counter up the middle with Joseph Banyard, breaks 3 tackles while dragging a defensive end, throws him off, and scores the winning touchdown.

Funny. That game and the Iowa Park game have two things in
common. Joseph Banyard getting it done.:D

PHS Wildcats
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Didn't know it was already started.

1. I think it was in '86 I was in elementary school, Palestine and Henderson. A close tight football game, very foggy night. Henderson was up 15-8 and with 10 secs left Joe Calhoun threw a 50 yd Hail Mary that was caught for a TD, but the play was called back for illegal provedure. I remember tearing up, becuase I thought the game was over, so there was 1 sec left and he threw a 55yd Hail Mary and was agian caught for TD our side went crazy and running onto the field. That's when I feel inlove with football.

2. My jr yr, we played Athens in '93, I scored 3TDs in what was and still is the state record for the highest tie for a football game, 41-41 we missed a field goal on the last play that would've won it.

3.'04 DII State championship game between Kilgore and Dallas Lincoln. Kilgore won in 2OT on a block field goal that was ran back for a TD. 33-27. I have the audio from the final play I'll post it when I get home.

4. '04 Regional Semis between SLC and Abilene 50,000 fans in the stands @ Texas Stadium. Game back and forth, Abilene driving deep inside SLC territory in the final secs and SLC gets an interception with 15 sec left to secure a 35-30 win.

5. '05 State Title game between Hutto and Tatum, very good game. My girlfriend is from Tatum, but I don't think Hutto lost the game, they ran out of time. Tatum fans before you jump on me you did everything to win the game. So I give you all the credit.

Bonus. '04 D1 State Title between Marshall and Ennis, Very good game, Marshall actually ouplayed Ennis, but Ennis made the big play and a stop on 4th down in the last second to win 23-21