PDA

View Full Version : PI 28 vs La Feria 14 final

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 08:37 PM
All tied up 14-14 at the half . Good game going on down in the valley.

<small>[ October 24, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Mid80'sTarpon ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Yeah, sounds like it. Know any details??? Or are you just aware of the score???

Also, some other 32-3A scores....

Lyford 21
Rio Hondo 14 (half)

and

Progreso 0
Raymondville 15 (2nd)

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Not much details just that La Feria's defense was stopping the Tarpons. My source sounded a little disappointed on PI's part, but it might just be that La Feria is playing good and holding them.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-24-2003, 09:56 PM
I just saw...

Port Isabel 28
La Feria 14

In the 4th. Not sure how much time is left, though, but the game should be close to over.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Cool, that 1st half sounded to close for comfort.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 10:08 PM
28-14 it's a final. Last 5 minutes PI scored the last tds.

turbostud
10-24-2003, 10:21 PM
This was a good close game. PI scored the go ahead TD with 3:02 left and tacked on one more after La Feria went 4 and out. Both teams played good defense & were evenly matched. PI just pulled it out at the end. Good luck Tarpons the rest of the way.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-24-2003, 10:35 PM
All I have to say to Matthew is "we told you so"

eye of the tiger
10-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Big win for the Tarps. Way to go.

Old Green
10-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Congrats on the win.
Tarpons are starting to put it together.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 11:32 PM
turbostud:
This was a good close game. PI scored the go ahead TD with 3:02 left and tacked on one more after La Feria went 4 and out. Both teams played good defense & were evenly matched. PI just pulled it out at the end. Good luck Tarpons the rest of the way.turbo, thanks for your game perspective, we that can't be at the games appreciate any details we can get.

Mid80'sTarpon
10-24-2003, 11:33 PM
eye of the tiger:
Big win for the Tarps. Way to go.Thanks, how did your tigers do tonight.

PI-fan
10-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Great Game!

LF played a good defense scheme they showed no respect for PIs pass, they concentrated on the runners and it paid off for about 2 1/2 qtrs. LF has a very good D and had several penetrations that would throw our qb off during pass plays and cause some ugly lookin passes, lol. But PIs qb was able to punish LF on some plays when he passed the oncoming rush; he broke off some good runs.
As good as LFs Defense was, PIs was even better. Both teams had like two 3 and outs back to back. Both teams had some success running the ball. PI led during the 1st qtr 7-0, it was tied at half 14-14 and PI was at LFs 15yrd line but PI couldn't capitalize on the FG. PI had like at least 3ints to LF one. I don't remember any fumbles in the game, weird.
There were some questionable calls on the refs though, but then it got obscene when PI runner fell like 1 1/2 yds into the endzone yet it was placed like at the 1yrd line, then on LF next possession LF went for a pass and the receiver went about 35+yards and it went incomplete, yet the time stayed the same!! How in the heck do u explain that? Refs did not adjust the time, that was ridiculous.
Oh well, LF was a formidable opponent well at least for 2 1/2qtrs. Tarps put the game away in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. Missle had 2tds and Alvarez(qb) had one, and i think Johnny #33 had another. Oh, Nitro(nursing a hamstring) wasn't in the game till the 4th qtr. It was just want PI needed, he came in fresh, he dragged a lion or two on his runs.
Sorry for the long post, but i thought i'd explain it for the PI fans that could'nt attend the game.

footballgal
10-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Port Isabel knocks La Feria from ranks of unbeaten, 28-14

Christy Espinosa / Valley Morning Star

http://www.valleystar.com/images/uploads/Laferia102503.jpg
Port Isabel quarterback Gabe Alvarez looks past La Feria’s Marco Cano for an open man during their game Friday night at Lions Stadium in La Feria.
By MIKE GONZALEZ
mikeg@valleystar.com
956-421-9874

LA FERIA — It was a heavyweight fight between two of the Valley’s best programs at Lions Stadium Friday night. But it was the Port Isabel Tarpons who came away with a 28-14 District 32-3A win over the La Feria Lions in front of a packed house.

Tarpon running back Johnny Nieto (5 rushes, 34 yards, one touchdown) wasn’t called upon until the fourth, but made his carries count. With the game knotted at 14, Nieto scampered his way through for a 15-yard score to give PI a 21-14 lead with 3:02 left.

"I saw a humongous hole and my team got pumped up," Nieto said of his score.

After the kickoff, the Lions got the ball with 2:55 left, but quarterback Matt Garcia threw three consecutive incomplete passes, then was sacked by Esteban Delgadillo on fourth down to give the PI the ball back.

Four plays later, quarterback Gabe Alvarez (11-33-2 TDs) sneaked in from 1 yard out to ice the game and put the Tarps (4-1 in District 32-3A, 5-3) in first place for the first time this year.

"It was a hard-fought win," Tarpon head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "It says a lot, but we’ve got a long way to go. Now we have Progreso next week."

PI’s third part of the fearsome foursome, Misael "Missile" Iracheta, led the way with 21 carries, 134 yards and one touchdown which came from five yards out to give PI an early 7-0 lead.

"Our district championship was on the line, and we knew we had to play for four quarters," the speedster said. "And that’s what PI football is all about."

With the game tied at 14 with just under a minute left in the third quarter, La Feria (3-1, 6-1) had the ball inside the Tarpon 10 on a fourth and three. Instead of kicking the field goal to take the lead, the Lions elected to go for it, but the Seawall Defense stepped up and made the play of the night.

After Garcia escaped heavy pressure, he threw a pass to the goal line that was picked off by Irachata, stopping a drive that La Feria had for over seven minutes in the quarter.

Lion head coach Roberto Valdez felt the gamble was worth it against a team like Port Isabel.

"We felt like three points wasn’t going to be good enough," Valdez said. "They are an explosive team and we felt like we had to make it a challenge for our team."

The Lions also lost two key starters for the game in the first half in running back Albert Castillo and quarterback Adrian Limon. Before the injury, Castillo had 49 yards and a 20-yard touchdown that tied the game a seven early in the second quarter. Limon’s injury came in the first after he threw an interception to Frankie Herrera that set up the Tarps’ first score.

Marco Cano stepped in for Castillo and had a solid game with 15 carries, 74 yards, and one touchdown.

With a win next week against Progreso, PI can clinch at least a share of the district title as they have a bye in Week 10.

Turnovers also played a role for La Feria, as three QBs combined to throw three of them.

With Raymondville and Lyford winning their respective games, those two teams along La Feria have 3-1 district records with two weeks remaining.

turbostud
10-25-2003, 10:19 AM
PI-fan, I was standing even with the goaline when I believe it was Missle fell into the endzone and the ball was placed at the 1 yard line. I could not believe they didnt signal a touchdown but the refs seemed to be calling for La Feria all night. I guess they had "home field advantage". I thought it was interesting when the Tarps brought in injured RB #33. He was injured but fresh and the La Feria defense was one step slower. Any chance the Red Ants are going to beat PI? :D

PI-fan
10-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Progresso beating PI, uhm what r the chances of winning the lotto?
Turbo, You being from AP area have u heard who is probably making the playoffs in district 31. I know Bishop shutout Lyford earlier in the season, and Fal beat PI, both dist. 32 potential playoff teams but i believe(and hope) Lyford and PI are much better now. Oh Zapata looks to be doing well by beating Bishop and Fal; Hidalgo which beat Zapata earlier in the season isn't doing to hot now :(
Gonna be some interestin Bi-District games!

TARPON DAD
10-26-2003, 06:59 PM
boy i missed the game of the week ,had to work.
but im glad the tarpons took care of bussiness,progrso chances well let just leave it alone they have had a bad season maybe things
will be better next year,as far as the tarpons
way to go !
i will be at the game next week no matter what,
its parent night&gt;
any ways looks like ther still a lot games that
need to be pl,ayed before we know who getsa to play who!
but that doesnt change things,
THE TARPONS ARE BACK!

GO TARPONS GO!

ONE TEAM ONE GOAL!!!!