PDA

View Full Version : 2nd shooting in a matter of months in Burleson County

CHS_CG
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Burleson County officials are investigating a police shooting that left a former Texas lottery winner dead. Thomas Strong from the Burleson County community of Harmony won $3 million in the lottery 13 years ago. But this morning he was on the wrong side of the law.

Police aren't saying why Thomas Strong, a long time Burleson County resident and $3 million lottery winner changed his luck Wednesday morning.

"A neighbor had called about a disturbance about someone with a gun on neighboring property," Burleson County Sheriff Dale Stroud said.

Stroud says Strong was shooting guns in his front yard. When law enforcement arrived he started shooting at them, then took off in his pick-up truck.

The chase moved across Highway 36 then after a shoot-out between officers and Strong the situation ended in tragedy next to Harmony Baptist Church.

"The subject involved in the shootout is deceased. None of the officers were injured although at least 1 vehicle has taken rounds, there were a lot of rounds discharged by both parties, by officers and the suspect," Stroud said.

Police searched the area near Strong's house for shell casings, while a Department of Public Safety helicopter scanned the area.
Folks in nearby Caldwell wondered why a man with so much, would turn on police.

"I did know him and his wife and he seemed like a nice fellow," Burleson County resident Jimmy Kovar said.

Strong was related to a few officers involved in the shootout, and Sheriff Stroud knew him for 30 years.

"This is unfortunate this is what you hope never happens but unfortunately sometimes we have no alternative and that's what probably happened here today," Sheriff Stroud said.

Authorities will continue looking for answers to why this one-time millionaire turned his gun on the law.

Strong's family members declined to comment on the situation.

This is the second shooting in Burleson County in the last few months.

In May, Wayne Hefti was shot in Caldwell after pointing a rifle at officers.

Hefti only sustained minor injuries and faces charges for attempted capital murder of a peace officer.

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
looks like "windfall" has it's next episode

CHS_CG
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
its a very sad event.. this took place on my county road and ended just up the road from my house on the other side of the hwy.

olddawggreen
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
My prayers to the family of this man, not knowing his background, I don't want to try to comment on why this happened. As far as the lottery winnings, it is my opinion that windfalls don't always solve a persons problems, but many times intensify them.

AP Panther Fan
06-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
My prayers to the family of this man, not knowing his background, I don't want to try to comment on why this happened. As far as the lottery winnings, it is my opinion that windfalls don't always solve a persons problems, but many times intensify them.

You are absolutely right in my opinion as welll. Receiving a large amount of money can push people over the edge and ruin marriages, families, etc.... Often they lose sight of the important things in life.:(

CHS_CG
06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
knowing how a small town is i cant confirm if this is actually a possibility but there are conflicting reports that say he might have shot himself. I think what most likely happened was rounds from both parties were being fired and he was hit. Not for sure but I know how rumors can be in this damn town!

SintonFan
06-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
knowing how a small town is i cant confirm if this is actually a possibility but there are conflicting reports that say he might have shot himself. I think what most likely happened was rounds from both parties were being fired and he was hit. Not for sure but I know how rumors can be in this damn town!
I think one of your first posts said something about "Caldwell is Hell on ice" or something to that effect.
Man, that story is a reverse hard-luck story. :(

CHS_CG
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I think one of your first posts said something about "Caldwell is Hell on ice" or something to that effect.
:(

hell on earth!:D