PDA

View Full Version : my morning brush with fame

pirate44
06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
i was listening to the Jim Lago morning radio program this morning and he was talking with Kinky Friedman. Kinky was in town last night for a fund raiser and this morning he was going to talk with a veterans group, along with Rick Perry. anyway, i had a meeting to go to downtown. as i was passing the City Diner, i noticed he was outside smoking a cigar looking at a newspaper. i honked a few times and when he looked up i gave him thumbs up (thats all i could think of.lol) he gave me thumbs up too. i was sure he would be with an entourage or something. anyway, i missed my turn on Starr street and had to make the block to go to my meeting.

KTJ
06-29-2006, 09:51 AM
I really hope he doesn't win.

But the sad part is Rick Perry is probably going to repeat. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RiverRat19
06-29-2006, 09:55 AM
My parents and I have met Kinky (on separate occasions) in Kerrville a few times. He's a very down to earth person. I admire his run for Gov but not sure he's the guy for the job. I don't care for Perry too much either. I may abstain my vote for Gov this year... we'll see.

pirate44
06-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

But the sad part is Rick Perry is probably going to repeat. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
i dont think he will win, but i hope he gets a large percentage of the vote. he is running a true grass roots campaign. very non-political and non p.c. i want people to realize that its not a cake walk just because you have an R or a D after your name.

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
i don't think he gets it, but i don't want perry back in office, and I'm a registered REPUBLICAN

KTJ
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
My parents and I have met Kinky (on separate occasions) in Kerrville a few times. He's a very down to earth person. I admire his run for Gov but not sure he's the guy for the job. I don't care for Perry too much either. I may abstain my vote for Gov this year... we'll see.

The crappy part is this is yet another year which none of the candidates are great.

I know all about Perry, I've heard Chris Bell speak here in Austin and he was horrid, I'm not a fan of Kinky because I don't think he takes this campaign seriously (platform???).

That leaves Keeton-Strayhorn.

:thinking:

Gobbla2001
06-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Like I've said once before, Kinky seems like one of those guys I wouldn't mind hanging out with... he seems very down to earth etc... and I really like that... but he just hasn't seen serious enough to me...

His official site is kind of a joke... I mean I love my mother, but I don't know if I'd want her as our governer...

Perry? I dunno, hope he's not the best out of all of 'em...

Grandma? May just have to do

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
The crappy part is this is yet another year which none of the candidates are great.

I know all about Perry, I've heard Chris Bell speak here in Austin and he was horrid, I'm not a fan of Kinky because I don't think he takes this campaign seriously (platform???).

i like strayhorn and she will likely get my vote, only because she's a former educator and knows how crappy the system is in texas

pirate44
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i like strayhorn and she will likely get my vote, only because she's a former educator and knows how crappy the system is in texas
i cant stand her

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i cant stand her it doesn't really matter, the govenor is so powerless

Gobbla2001
06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
i cant stand her

I hate her commercials man "One Tough Grandma"... okay, my grandma gave me bad spankings I don't want her in office :D jk

The only one I like I aint votin' for ha...

big daddy russ
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

I've actually spoken with all the gubernatorial candidates at one time or another, and Strayhorn (even though she's not perfect) will get my vote. The guy I really wanted in office was Star Locke, but Perry kicked the crap out of him in the primaries.

I'll put in a vote for Strayhorn, but I think this race is down to Kinky and Perry.

Blastoderm55
06-29-2006, 12:29 PM
i cant stand her

I don't care for her much either when it comes time to send in my sales tax check, but she's most likely the best and most qualified candidate.

pirate44
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
it doesn't really matter, the govenor is so powerless not really

big daddy russ
it doesn't really matter, the govenor is so powerless
To an extent... they still have to 'power' to call special sessions and light fires under everyone's butts. She won't be afraid to step on a few toes... I like that.

I like Rick Perry as a person, I just don't think he's the right guy for Governor.

AggieJohn
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've actually spoken with all the gubernatorial candidates at one time or another, and Strayhorn (even though she's not perfect) will get my vote. The guy I really wanted in office was Star Locke, but Perry kicked the crap out of him in the primaries.

I'll put in a vote for Strayhorn, but I think this race is down to Kinky and Perry. i think kinky is just a trendy pick

Gobbla2001
06-29-2006, 12:34 PM
i think kinky is just a trendy pick

Yah, that's what's scary... most people are doing it because of trend...

I'm a big Texas-Music fan and I've noticed all of them are saying "Vote for Kinky", which is fine if they truely feel that way, but they've also got a lot of fans on that bandwagon that are gunna vote for him just because Bleu Edmonson etc... said they were...

That'd be fine if it were "Governer for the Day" or something, but this is more than a game...

I really hope he can do it and maybe he can, but putting Willie Nelson in charge of the Texas Rangers or whatever his website said??? I like Willie but are you on crack?

Outlawing the declawing of cats? That's one of his main topics on his site (or was when I looked into all of the candidates)...

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

I really hope he can do it and maybe he can, but putting Willie Nelson in charge of the Texas Rangers or whatever his website said??? I like Willie but are you on crack?

willie has a past, i don't think that you can actually put a person with a criminal past like his in a goven't position like that

Blastoderm55
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM

I'll put in a vote for Strayhorn, but I think this race is down to Kinky and Perry.

You actually favored Locke? The guy came into my store to hand me a flyer with that tax poem of his. I realize it must be so hard living a life of wealth and having to lose it all to these horrible taxes to pay for stuff like a public education for your grandkids as well as upkeeping these nice things called paved roads. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch an old dude, but after reading that bile, I certainly felt warranted in doing so.

pirate44
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Yah, that's what's scary... most people are doing it because of trend...

I'm a big Texas-Music fan and I've noticed all of them are saying "Vote for Kinky", which is fine if they truely feel that way, but they've also got a lot of fans on that bandwagon that are gunna vote for him just because Bleu Edmonson etc... said they were...

That'd be fine if it were "Governer for the Day" or something, but this is more than a game...

Outlawing the declawing of cats? That's one of his main topics on his site (or was when I looked into all of the candidates)...
you cant take that stuff serious. he is a man of satire and very intelligent. he's just having a little fun in his persuit of the job

Blastoderm55
06-29-2006, 12:40 PM
not really

Its kind of true. Most of the dirty work is done by the hands of the Lieutenant Governer.

pirate44
06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Its kind of true. Most of the dirty work is done by the hands of the Lieutenant Governer.
i didnt say he fully off base. i was just saying he has power as bdr mentioned

Gobbla2001
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
you cant take that stuff serious. he is a man of satire and very intelligent. he's just having a little fun in his persuit of the job

I know, and it's funny, but what is he serious about? Most people I know who favor him tell me he's serious about teachers being paid more, about closing the border etc...

I bet I can't count the number of candidates who say that evvvvverrrrryyyy time and don't get it done when elected.... not saying he's the same but you get my point?

He says/said he didn't have a stance on gay-marriage, okay, don't know where he's going with that one...

What I did like is he's not against the death penalty, just against the wrong guy dying etc... I like that about him, but that's about as serious as the guy has gotten... most people I know are willing to vote for him on that little?

I asked a ton of times to give me more information on his stances on things, his plans etc... and no one could give me anything but the silly stuff...

Gobbla2001
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM

I asked a ton of times to give me more information on his stances on things, his plans etc... and no one could give me anything but the silly stuff...

Meaning give me information so I can understand this man ha

maroogreen
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

I would vote for a trained monkey over Rick Perry, and I'm also a registered Republican. Neither the Rs or the Ds have made me very happy lately. I think a lot of people feel that way and I also think it has a little bit to do with the Kinky support. People figure, "why not?" He can't be too much worse than what we've had. Of course, we've thought that before...:thinking:

big daddy russ
06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
You actually favored Locke? The guy came into my store to hand me a flyer with that tax poem of his. I realize it must be so hard living a life of wealth and having to lose it all to these horrible taxes to pay for stuff like a public education for your grandkids as well as upkeeping these nice things called paved roads. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch an old dude, but after reading that bile, I certainly felt warranted in doing so.
I can't say I ever wanted to punch him, but then again I never read his poem. His plan actually had nothing to do with taking taxes away from the educational system, it was all about helping out the farmers in this state. If you're running a small, family-owned farm, it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet. The government is taxing these guys out the wazoo, basically making the agricultural landscape here in Texas one that's being dominated by big business. One where the small guys can no longer survive.

Locke wanted to levy some of the taxes on the rest of us (WHICH I'M FOR!!!) to give those guys a break. He also wanted to keep Strayhorn close and let her work with Congress to hammer out a plan for the educational system. I'm not a farmer, but I know what a lot of my friends are going through. Based on that and the fact that he knows how to delegate, he had my vote.

Even though he was raised on a farm and attended Agricultural, Perry has been horrible for the farmers and ranchers of the state. Look up anything about the wool industry here in Texas. You'll understand. Thank God for Susan Combs.

So to answer your question, yes, I actually favored Locke.

big daddy russ
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
The Lt. Governor is the most powerful man in the Texas State Government... and I have no problems with Dewhurst. I liked his proposal on education reform, the first and the second ones. If any one thing could happen in this election, I'd pray that Dewhurst finds his way back.

Blastoderm55
06-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I can't say I ever wanted to punch him, but then again I never read his poem. His plan actually had nothing to do with taking taxes away from the educational system, it was all about helping out the farmers in this state. If you're running a small, family-owned farm, it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet. The government is taxing these guys out the wazoo, basically making the agricultural landscape here in Texas one that's being dominated by big business. One where the small guys can no longer survive.

Locke wanted to levy some of the taxes on the rest of us (WHICH I'M FOR!!!) to give those guys a break. He also wanted to keep Strayhorn close and let her work with Congress to hammer out a plan for the educational system. I'm not a farmer, but I know what a lot of my friends are going through. Based on that and the fact that he knows how to delegate, he had my vote.

Even though he was raised on a farm and attended Agricultural, Perry has been horrible for the farmers and ranchers of the state. Look up anything about the wool industry here in Texas. You'll understand.

So to answer your question, yes, I actually favored Locke.

Sorry, I must of got the wrong impression upon meeting the man. So, is his support of small business across the board, or does it apply only to agriculture. Those of us in the small business sector have been getting our butts kicked by big business for years, and its always been the Conservatives who've allowed for the kind of capitalist profit driven expansion that destroys local business.

Upon further research at www.starovertexas.com

TAXES by Star Locke

TAX his cow, TAX his goat, TAX his pants, TAX his coat
TAX his crops, TAX his work, TAX his tie, TAX his shirt
TAX his chew, TAX his smoke, teach him TAXES are no joke!
TAX his medical, TAX his pills, TAX his business, TAX his play
if he hollers make him pay more money every day
TAX his licenses ,tax his car
drive him to drink…….then TAX the bar !
Tax his food and TAX his drink, TAX his horse then TAX his ass,
TAX his retirement then TAX his TAX , TAX his electric
and TAX his phone, TAX him till his mind is blown
IF he protest, TAKE HIS PROPERTY...then TAX him more !!!
TAX him till he’s on the floor
KICK HIM ! HIT HIM ! ….KNOCK HIM DOWN
STOMP HIM ! SMASH HIM … INTO THE GROUND ! !
TAX his coffin, TAX his grave, TAX the sod in which he lays
and then put these words on his tomb…
”TAXES DROVE HIM TO HIS DOOM”
and ……after he is dead-and-gone he still can’t relax……..
for NOW…the GOVERNMENT wants
…..THE INHERITANCE TAX !

And his FAMILY SECURITY AND PROTECTION ACT
(Excerpts I enjoyed :rolleyes: )

[a ] THE TEXAS ALCOHOLIC AND BEVERAGE COMMISSION IS HEREBY CLOSED and the enabling legislations is hereby rescinded.

[b] The FAMILY HOME SECURITY COMMISSION shall take over all existing facilities presently owned or leased by the T.A.B.C. and shall make its own determinations as to any future facility location needs.

[c] All TAX ON PRIVATE PROPERTY in TEXAS is hereby rescinded and repealed.

[a] The ATHLETIC BOARD shall set minimum Physical fitness work out programs for all TEXAS SCHOOLS with 2 hour minimum P.E. daily classes for all students. (Good idea)

[b] The ATHLETIC BOARD shall establish a High Protein Diet Nutrition Program that shall be instituted in all TEXAS Schools with the goal to [a] promote the physical fitness in each student. [b] to eliminate OBESITY and addictive behaviors in children and staff. (Like this idea)

[a] This COMMISSION shall levy a 100% of price sales cost tax for the sale on all item listed below:

1 . any video game containing any form of human violence. .

2. any machine, toy, or cd that uses or includes bodily harm of any human or human image its function or goal or score.

OUCH!

[a] This COMMISSION shall levy a ACTION FEE TAX on any act of abortion on a human female within the State of TEXAS. This tax shall be levied upon and be paid by each individual involved in each act of abortion procedure done or practitioners thereof within the borders of the STATE OF TEXAS. The fee/tax is $10,000.00 each participant per each abortion. The one exception to this rule is when it is medically determined that the mothers life is in danger if the pregnancy is continued. Failure to pay said tax shall be a Class A Felony. (:rolleyes: )

[b] This commission shall levy a 50% of price of sales tax [GREASE TAX] upon all food prepared by deep-frying or cooking in any form of oil or grease for human consumption

[c] This commission shall levy a 50% of price sales tax on any beverage sold to humans to be consumed by humans that contains added glucose, fructose, sucrose to the beverage for sale to humans. (Oh no! No more deep fried twinkies and Mountain Dew! I can live with this actually.)

All in all, I think the guy has good intentions, but we do not need another politician who plans on governing with the Bible. Sorry. Religion has no place in government. I respect the man's beliefs, but once they infringe on those of others, the line has been crossed. I'd still sooner vote for Locke than Perry.

GreenMonster
06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
I know, and it's funny, but what is he serious about? Most people I know who favor him tell me he's serious about teachers being paid more, about closing the border etc...

I bet I can't count the number of candidates who say that evvvvverrrrryyyy time and don't get it done when elected.... not saying he's the same but you get my point?

He says/said he didn't have a stance on gay-marriage, okay, don't know where he's going with that one...

What I did like is he's not against the death penalty, just against the wrong guy dying etc... I like that about him, but that's about as serious as the guy has gotten... most people I know are willing to vote for him on that little?

Big D, one of the things I like about Kinky is he isn't afraid to ask people elsewhere about what they are doing to fix problems (i.e. border control) instead of trying to come up with his own way. Why re-invent the wheel if it's working for someone else.

SintonFan
06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
i don't think he gets it, but i don't want perry back in office, and I'm a registered REPUBLICAN
I agree with you AJ. Up in SA they are turning existing roads(ie 1604 and 281) into toll roads with some construction being done. That is illegal according to Texas law, yet it's still happening. All because "outside of country" money interest, well, maybe that's not all of it but that's a big part of it.
Perry will not get my vote!:mad:

big daddy russ
06-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I must of got the wrong impression upon meeting the man. So, is his support of small business across the board, or does it apply only to agriculture. Those of us in the small business sector have been getting our butts kicked by big business for years, and its always been the Conservatives who've allowed for the kind of capitalist profit driven expansion that destroys local business....
I can't say one way or the other. Based on the way he feels about the Ag industry, I'd want to say yes, but again, that's just what I think.