PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Question

kaorder1999
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
I have a question. It seems like in every NBA Draft, as in other drafts as well, draftees are always compared to current players. Question I have is.....

Why does every 6-10 to 7 ft European that can shoot from the outside automaticaly billed as the next Dirk?

Why doesn't every American or African American that is 6-5 and someone who can take the ball to the rim tabbed as the next Dwayne Wade?

Sweetwater Red
06-29-2006, 09:00 AM
That bugs me too. Adam Morrison the next Larry Bird?
Puh-lease....:doh:

KTJ
06-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I have a question. It seems like in every NBA Draft, as in other drafts as well, draftees are always compared to current players. Question I have is.....

Why does every 6-10 to 7 ft European that can shoot from the outside automaticaly billed as the next Dirk?

Why doesn't every American or African American that is 6-5 and someone who can take the ball to the rim tabbed as the next Dwayne Wade?

Probably the same reason people can't tell a story without bringing race into it. How many times have I heard that "this black lady comes into the store and asks a question" or "this asian man was walking down the street."

Sadly, race is still a factor in pretty much everything.

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 09:43 AM

because dirk was the next manute bol

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2006, 09:44 AM
it has alot to do with some people not watching College and International Ball... If you had never cared to watch or even pay attention to college basketball... and then the draft is on and you begin watching... but have always watched Pro ball... it helps you get an understanding of who they play like and why they are being drafted at said position...

with that said, who the hell is Ronaldo Balkman

Bulldog_12
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, what D33AP said. Its all about giving you, the viewer, a better understanding of how this incoming player plays. If you know how Dirk plays, you know how the Italian plays. Most would automatically assume the Italian as a standard post-up center with his size.

Adidas410s
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
with that said, who the hell is Ronaldo Balkman

:clap: :clap: :clap:

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
:clap: :clap: :clap:

seriously...

Stephen A Smith says:
"they need a dog, a man who will be like Charles Oakley."

Bilas says:
"he's like a mix of Dennis Rodman and Ron Artest"

i say:
"Who is Ronaldo Blackman?"

Adidas410s
06-29-2006, 11:18 AM
seriously...

Stephen A Smith says:

Bilas says:

i say:
"Who is Ronaldo Balkman?"

Dennis Rodman was 6'9" and could guard a center.

Ronaldo Balkman is 6'5" and can guard a 2 guard.

The only thing that Balkman has going for him is that people might confuse him with Rolando Blackman. ;)

Adidas410s
06-29-2006, 11:18 AM

because we are still comparing Wade to Michael Jordan...not time to compare others to him yet. I did hear a few comparisons though between Brandon Roy and Dwyane Wade in that they are the most "NBA ready" players of their respective drafts.

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Dennis Rodman was 6'9" and could guard a center.

Ronaldo Balkman is 6'5" and can guard a 2 guard.

The only thing that Balkman has going for him is that people might confuse him with Rolando Blackman. ;)

yeah well whoever the hell he is. New York has just gone down the drain, and yeah...

Bulldog_12
06-29-2006, 11:19 AM
seriously...

Stephen A Smith says:

Bilas says:

i say:
"Who is Ronaldo Balkman?"

How could you not know???? :mad: He was only the MVP of the NIT!!!!!! GEEZ

:D

JasperDog94
06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
New York has just gone down the drain... And there's a problem with this?

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
And there's a problem with this?

John Starks was one of my favorites back in the day... I used to love watching Spike Lee vs Reggie Miller... Reggie scoring like 8 points in 9 seconds was rediculous...

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Trade Round Up (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2503390)

big daddy russ
06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I still can't see that comparison. I know it's been made a lot, but I see D-Wade more as another Jerry Stackhouse (the second 'next MJ' after Harold Miner), but with more of a killer instinct.