PDA

View Full Version : i just got scammed

pirate44
06-28-2006, 04:50 PM
a little girl about 7 and an older lady who i thought was the mom came by my office wanting donations for the american diabetes association. i wrote a check for $10 and wrote my name and address on the paper she provided. she said she was going to be in a diabetes walk tomorrow. i assumed she was a kid of one of my colleagues since we dont allow solicitation in our building. anyway, i was later informed nobody knew who she was. i later went to the american diabetes association website and their next "walk" isnt until october 7th. im 100% sure i got taken. the ten dollars, im not worried about. im not concerned about them making the check to look like $110 instead of $10 cuz i called my bank to flag that check. what i am worried about is identity theft. they have mine and my wifes home information not to mention our drivers license numbers, our bank account number and routing number. i feel like an ass just for trying to be generous.

:flamingma

Cameron Crazy
06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
You did the right thing they did the wrong thing!

Bullaholic
06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
This site looks "legit", P44---

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

pirate4state
06-28-2006, 04:56 PM
:doh: :doh: I would try and make you laugh, but I think I'd be coming across as a little harsh and some people might get their feelings hurt. :rolleyes:

So I'll say this...hope they don't screw you over.

Cameron Crazy
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I like the way you put that!

wedo
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Thats is one reason why i never write checks! If i don't have cash I pay with my card! But you did the right thing anyways by trying to help!!

pirate44
06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:doh: :doh: I would try and make you laugh, but I think I'd be coming across as a little harsh and some people might get their feelings hurt. :rolleyes:

So I'll say this...hope they don't screw you over.
i know you pretty well as a friend, and i know your sense of humor, so i can take it.;)

pirate44
06-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This site looks "legit", P44---

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
thanks bull. ill take a look asap

olddawggreen
06-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
a little girl about 7 and an older lady who i thought was the mom came by my office wanting donations for the american diabetes association. i wrote a check for $10 and wrote my name and address on the paper she provided. she said she was going to be in a diabetes walk tomorrow. i assumed she was a kid of one of my colleagues since we dont allow solicitation in our building. anyway, i was later informed nobody knew who she was. i later went to the american diabetes association website and their next "walk" isnt until october 7th. im 100% sure i got taken. the ten dollars, im not worried about. im not concerned about them making the check to look like $110 instead of $10 cuz i called my bank to flag that check. what i am worried about is identity theft. they have mine and my wifes home information not to mention our drivers license numbers, our bank account number and routing number. i feel like an ass just for trying to be generous.

:flamingma

Yep, your toast man:eek: :eek:

pirate44
06-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Yep, your toast man:eek: :eek:
i know. i need some advice from ap panther fan:(

CHS_CG
06-29-2006, 09:02 AM
sorry p44 that is just wrong.. how could people go that low to scam people outta money and say its for a good cause! The people in this world today :mad:

pirate44
06-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
sorry p44 that is just wrong.. how could people go that low to scam people outta money and say its for a good cause! The people in this world today :mad:
after thinking about it, there were a lot of signs of it being a scam. my excuse is that i have been working late hours and waking up real early. i wasnt on top of my game yesterday.

Ranger Mom
06-29-2006, 09:16 AM
after thinking about it, there were a lot of signs of it being a scam. my excuse is that i have been working late hours and waking up real early. i wasnt on top of my game yesterday.

Unfortunately it happens all the time...but to drag a kid into it is the lowest of low!!

AggieJohn
06-29-2006, 09:20 AM
after thinking about it, there were a lot of signs of it being a scam. my excuse is that i have been working late hours and waking up real early. i wasnt on top of my game yesterday. what red flags do you see now?

Tiger Baseball
06-29-2006, 09:25 AM
scam artist they come in all ages

pirate44
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
what red flags do you see now?
the little girl was flawless in her delivery. ive never seen a kid asking for money with that smooth of lines. the paper i signed was just a piece of notebook paper. not an official diabetes sign sheet. although i assumed she was a kid to a co-worker, the parent would have just asked for the donation and not have the other parent and kid come up to the office. there are others i have forgotten.

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
how did this turn out 44

pirate44
07-21-2006, 02:23 PM
how did this turn out 44
the check hasnt gone through. im beginning to think it was just a poor lady using her daughter to get cash. she hopefully just tossed the check in the trash can and kept the cash. im still keeping an eye on the bank account though

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
the check hasnt gone through. im beginning to think it was just a poor lady using her daughter to get cash. she hopefully just tossed the check in the trash can and kept the cash. im still keeping an eye on the bank account though good to know

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 02:27 PM
the check hasnt gone through. im beginning to think it was just a poor lady using her daughter to get cash. she hopefully just tossed the check in the trash can and kept the cash. im still keeping an eye on the bank account though
It wouldn't hurt to check your credit report and if they have your address get an alarm and let your neighbors keep an eye out for any strange vehicles in your driveway.:)

AP Panther Fan
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
i know. i need some advice from ap panther fan:(

Sorry, I just saw this. On the bright side, they don't have your social security number. Did you put a stop payment on the check? (that would have probably cost you about $25.00 for a $10.00 check)

I think you are probably right about the whole thing. They might have just tossed the check because they were counting on cash donations. Did you leave the check blank, make it out to her, or make it out to an organization?

I see these things every day and they still infuriate me.:mad:

SPF25
07-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Sorry, I just saw this. On the bright side, they don't have your social security number. Did you put a stop payment on the check? (that would have probably cost you about $25.00 for a $10.00 check)

I think you are probably right about the whole thing. They might have just tossed the check because they were counting on cash donations. Did you leave the check blank, make it out to her, or make it out to an organization?

I see these things every day and they still infuriate me.:mad:
he told me he made it out to the American Diabetes Assoc. thank goodness.

pirate44
07-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by SPF25
he told me he made it out to the American Diabetes Assoc. thank goodness.
thats right. and i didntr cancel it since im not worried bout the 10. i did have them flag it and told them how much it was for. im feeling alot better about it now, but i still have my fingers crossed

AggieJohn
07-22-2006, 09:02 AM
sounds to me like there's not muc more to worry about

pirate44
07-22-2006, 02:37 PM
sounds to me like there's not muc more to worry about
i hope youre right

Old Tiger
07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
That's a sorry way to try to make an easy buck.

pirate44
07-22-2006, 05:32 PM
the thing is, if i saw a lady with a young girl asking me for money, i probably would have given her more.