PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust getting a Laptop off of ebay?

CHS_CG
06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Know somebody who is thinking about bidding on a laptop and told her she was kinda crazy.

pero chato
06-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Know somebody who is thinking about bidding on a laptop and told her she was kinda crazy.

Not just no, but no way.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:46 PM
I try and tell you all the time that you are crazy...;)

Buying/selling on eBay isn't a bad deal. I do it quite often. Just make sure that 1) you know what you are buying, 2) you have an expected price of what to pay and what you SHOULD pay for the item and 3) contact the seller for clarification before bidding. Remember, if the price looks too good to be true...then it is!

Case in point, there is somebody that keeps trying to sell 4 Cowboys season tickets for $1000 that are Section 28 Row 1. Those are 50 yard line seats btw. Obviously...these seats cost a few thousand each. I keep reporting them to eBay but these people keep hacking into new accounts and using people's ID's to post this scam.

Sweetwater Red
06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't buy any used electronic products. It just isn't worth
the chance.

Ranger Mom
06-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I have bought my last 5 cellphones off of e-bay, haven't had a problem with any of them.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have bought my last 5 cellphones off of e-bay, haven't had a problem with any of them.

as long as you buy the right brand! ;)

Ranger Mom
06-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
as long as you buy the right brand! ;)

HAHA!!

Shut up!:(

Emerson1
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Just don't buy a dell

CHS_CG
06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
i have a dell at home.

AP Panther Fan
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Nah, I don't think so.:thinking:

big daddy russ
06-26-2006, 04:59 PM
My family does it all the time. For all the skepticism that's out there, we've never had anything go wrong. Bought my girlfriend's PDA phone off of Ebay over Christmas-- no problems. My dad's boss bought a PowerBook (Mac laptop) off Ebay-- again, no problems.

Just be sure to check out their feedback ratings and comments and to contact them before you buy. I've had better experiences with Ebay than I've had with Best Buy.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
My family does it all the time. For all the skepticism that's out there, we've never had anything go wrong. Bought my girlfriend's PDA phone off of Ebay over Christmas-- no problems. My dad's boss bought a PowerBook (Mac laptop) off Ebay-- again, no problems.

Just be sure to check out their feedback ratings and comments and to contact them before you buy. I've had better experiences with Ebay than I've had with Best Buy.

:thumbsup:

Russ...I admire your candor and honesty.

big daddy russ
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
:thumbsup:

Russ...I admire your candor and honesty.
LOL.

I didn't see your post until just now. My bad.

mistanice
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm going to buy a laptop in the near future for college, but I dont know what brand to get, anyone have any ideas? What's wrong with Dell, I was thinking about getting one of those!

Emerson1
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
There is a timer inside of every dell product that tells it to break after the warrenty is up.

mistanice
06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I have an HP laptop, and I sent it in 7 times to get repaired, so that's why im leaning towards another brand.

Ranger Mom
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I have a desktop Dell at work, I absolutely HATE it!

The one I have at home is an old HP that has been upgraded so many times it doesn't even have a brand anymore, it's just a mutt!

I still run Windows98 on it cause I am scared to death to upgrade to XP in fear it will mess up and then I won't have a clue how to fix it. As it is now, I haven't ran into a problem yet that I wasn't able to fix myself!

SintonFan
06-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
As it is now, I haven't ran into a problem yet that I wasn't able to fix myself!
That's how most become "computer experts" to those around us. I bought an early E-Machines that had so many problems I was determined to fix, I became the go-to guy to fix their problems.;)
Back to topic, my bro just ten days ago bought an nice loaded laptop that he is now contesting in Pay Pal and Yahoo Auctions that he has yet to hear anything about. I hope his 350 bucks he approved via Pay Pal(via Visa) won't come back to bite him. I've explained his options to him but he is very inexperienced and has been in a funk for the last week.:( The amount of fraud out there is tremendous, if it looks to good to be true it probably is...:o

KindaCool
06-26-2006, 11:15 PM
it all depends on the physical hardware specs of the laptop

who cares if it has viruses or spyware or whatever

as long as it has the hardware capabilites of running windows xp pro, and it is NOT physically damaged then you'll be fine

software problems can be fixed quite easily

hardware on laptops, in fact, are quite difficult to fix

big daddy russ
06-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I'm going to buy a laptop in the near future for college, but I dont know what brand to get, anyone have any ideas? What's wrong with Dell, I was thinking about getting one of those!
As far as PC's go, if you're going on a budget, look at Compaq. If you're looking at something a little more expensive (in the $800-$1300 range), check out the ABS line. If you're looking at something a little more expensive, Fujitsus are good laptops.

Stay away from Intel processors. AMDs cost less and outperform Intels.... and it's not even close. Here's (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html) the proof. AMD Turions have longer battery life while Mobile Athlons have better performance.

BUT, if you can go with a Mac. They never have hiccups (ever get a message letting you know that 'this program is not responding?'... Macs hardly ever have that problem.), are the most stable computers on the market, and are every bit as fast as a PC. Don't worry about what the numbers on their boxes say, anyone who uses their computer for professional applications will tell you to go with a Mac.