PDA

View Full Version : Adidas' Daily Poll...Monday, June 26th

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I couldn't come up with an original idea...so I'm going to steal from a topic I heard on the radio today.

Who is the most clutch athlete in American sports TODAY???

I'll give you 5 names and an "other" option. If you choose other...explain why.

AggieJohn
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
someone's listening to ESPN radio right now

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

actually Eric K led off the Dan Patrick Show with it at noon...and he's my favorite guy on the radio. If I can't listen to the convo on the radio...why not have it here instead?

pirate44
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
haha..me too

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I didn't catch all of his Top 5...I think I heard

1. Ortiz
2. Woods
3. Bryant
4. Vinatieri
5. ????

DaHop72
06-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
actually Eric K led off the Dan Patrick Show with it at noon...and he's my favorite guy on the radio. If I can't listen to the convo on the radio...why not have it here instead? Adidas-Eric K-Mike Greenberg=Mancrush:devil: :devil:

AggieJohn
06-26-2006, 02:59 PM
watch out you miight get this poll hijacked

Sweetwater Red
06-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Up until this years play-offs I would have said Chauncey Billups.
I voted for Ortiz. The way he's hitting the ball....

Blastoderm55
06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
D Wade

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Adidas-Eric K-Mike Greenberg=Mancrush:devil: :devil:

I found your man crush Hops...

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/1532389_36_2.jpg

Old Tiger
06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Vinatieri for sure

DaHop72
06-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I found your man crush Hops...

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/1532389_36_2.jpg :confused: :confused:

AggieJohn
06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
you ever notice that whoever fills in for erik k really does suck

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
:confused: :confused:

do you never watch Fox Sports SW?

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:06 PM
you ever notice that whoever fills in for erik k really does suck

true...and when Eric K fills in for Dan Patrick the show gets better?

DaHop72
06-26-2006, 03:07 PM
do you never watch Fox Sports SW? I watch the Rangers and Astros when they are on. Switch back to ESPN when the game is over.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I watch the Rangers and Astros when they are on. Switch back to ESPN when the game is over.

you've never seen Ric Renner then? The really annoying guy with really bad hair???

injuredinmelee
06-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Vince Young is the clutch athlete.

I cant tell you how much i detest Rick Renner.

DaHop72
06-26-2006, 03:11 PM
you've never seen Ric Renner then? The really annoying guy with really bad hair??? Nope, guess I'll have to not change the channel so quick.

pirate4state
06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
you've never seen Ric Renner then? The really annoying guy with really bad hair??? This guy is a JOKE! DaHop do you never watch HS Sports Extra on Friday Nights??? He usually does the DQ Game of the Week!!! :hairpunk:

DaHop72
06-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
This guy is a JOKE! DaHop do you never watch HS Sports Extra on Friday Nights??? He usually does the DQ Game of the Week!!! :hairpunk: Dangit, I guess I'm missing out. I guess I'll have to watch him this fall and see what I've been missing.

Bullaholic
06-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Bodie Miller....:D

but I would probably add John Elway, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Bodie Miller....:D

but I would probably add John Elway, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady.

I didn't know that Elway and Montana were still playing! ;)

Bullaholic
06-26-2006, 03:30 PM
I didn't know that Elway and Montana were still playing! ;)

Yep...you did have "Today" on the end of your post. Sorry.

Emerson1
06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Phil Mickelson

wordonthastreet
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
The word on the street thinks that Vince Young is Mr. Clutch after watching the last two Rose Bowls.

Adidas410s
06-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Phil Mickelson

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/06/19/knMICKELSON_wideweb__470x327,0.jpg

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/06/18/PH2006061801029.jpg

I love Phil as much as anybody...but no!

AP Panther Fan
06-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
This guy is a JOKE! DaHop do you never watch HS Sports Extra on Friday Nights??? He usually does the DQ Game of the Week!!! :hairpunk:

His hair is annoying and he is a goof-ball!

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/1532389_36_2.jpg

Bulldog_12
06-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Renner is such a complete joke of an anchor. He came to Jasper once and he is just like the way he acts on tv in real life. Annoying as crap.

Anyways, Kobe gets my vote as clutch athlete.

AggieJohn
06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
true...and when Eric K fills in for Dan Patrick the show gets better? dp is very very bragadocious...

big daddy russ
06-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Kobe. I hate the guy, but he is the single most unstoppable man in sports today. Tiger's faded the last few years, and Vince comes close, but nobody.... NOT BRUCE BOWEN, NOT RON ARTEST, noone... can do anything to stop Kobe when he wants to score.

He's on track to be the next Jordan... and that's no small compliment. He can't be guarded.

GreenMonster
06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Kobe. I hate the guy, but he is the single most unstoppable man in sports today. Tiger's faded the last few years, and Vince comes close, but nobody.... NOT BRUCE BOWEN, NOT RON ARTEST, noone... can do anything to stop Kobe when he wants to score.

He's on track to be the next Jordan... and that's no small compliment. He can't be guarded.

Nice point Russ but that doesn't answer Adidas' question. Is Kobe the most "CLUTCH" player in sports today? I have to say no because his team was no where near the Title. He was huge but he wasn't clutch. Adam Venatieri is my pick. He's like a Pinch Hitter in baseball, inserted into the game at an extremely important point in the game and he is expected to provide results by EVERYONE. Tons of pressure, biggest games of the season, all while having sat/stood on the sideline for the better part of the game trying not to look too bored. He's yet to fail on the biggest stages of all and that makes him CLUTCH.

eagles_victory
06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
I would have to say David Ortiz he has cameup so huge so many times what he did against the Yankees a couple of years ago was amazing.

Tiger Woods I say no why he is the best golfer in the world I really wouldnt describe him as clutch some of his masters he has ran away with he was one some close ones but as someone said earlier hes kinda faded

Kobe Bryant- I also say no Kobe is a great player but Game 7 against the Suns Game 7 2nd half is clutch time in the NBA he scores 3 points. A great player but not the most clutch player

Albert Pujols- The best player in the MLB but just bc ur the best doesnt mean your the most clutch. His homerun against Lidge last year was great. But it doesnt compare to how many times Ortiz has done it.

Vinnetari sp?- He is my runner up. Yes he has made some of the biggest under pressure kicks. But with the exception of the one in the snow which he shouldnt of even attempted bc the tuck rule. He has made fairly routine kicks from no longer then 48 I think kicks that most NFL kickers would make if he misses those kicks hes referred to as a choke artist where as if Ortiz grounds out its not a big deal. Vinnetari just does his job Oritiz goes above and beyond the call of duty IMO

Adidas410s
06-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Tiger Woods I say no why he is the best golfer in the world I really wouldnt describe him as clutch some of his masters he has ran away with he was one some close ones but as someone said earlier hes kinda faded

One description that I heard on Tiger is that he is more of a closer than he is clutch. When he is in the lead on Sunday...he puts on the red...shows up to the course...and leaves with a trophy and a big check. Guys on tour are intimidated by Tiger being on top to start the final round. Very similar to Mariano Rivera. If you couldn't beat the Yankees in 8 innings...you weren't going to do it in the 9th inning either.

The fact that Tiger comes through with the victory pretty much every time he has the lead on Sunday...that's clutch. He doesn't find a way to lose it...he makes you find a way to beat him.

Adidas410s
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
and for those questioning David Ortiz...he had a walk off hit for the 2nd game in a row yesterday to again beat Philidelphia.

big daddy russ
06-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Nice point Russ but that doesn't answer Adidas' question. Is Kobe the most "CLUTCH" player in sports today? I have to say no because his team was no where near the Title. He was huge but he wasn't clutch. Adam Venatieri is my pick. He's like a Pinch Hitter in baseball, inserted into the game at an extremely important point in the game and he is expected to provide results by EVERYONE. Tons of pressure, biggest games of the season, all while having sat/stood on the sideline for the better part of the game trying not to look too bored. He's yet to fail on the biggest stages of all and that makes him CLUTCH.
Yeah, I didn't take my point far enough. What I meant to say is that Kobe is even more unstoppable at the end of the game as he is during it. To me, the team being near the title has nothing to do with being clutch. Steve Kerr was clutch when he played with the TrailBlazers and Danny Ainge was clutch throughout the lean years with Sacto. This is just my view of clutch, but having a club that's good enough to go to the Finals is different from having a single player that can hit a game-winning shot, FG, RBI, etc. at any given time.

The best recent example I can think of was that overtime game against the Suns in this year's playoffs. With 0.7 seconds left, Bryant went over two Suns defenders to send it into OT, and then drained a fade away game-winner from about 19' out, double-teamed, as time ran out.

There's tons more, I just can't remember them all right now.

DaHop72
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM
you've never seen Ric Renner then? The really annoying guy with really bad hair??? Ok Adidas, I was watching the Ranger-Astro game and decided to check out the post game show. I watched about 30 seconds of the clown and his hair and turned the television off.

injuredinmelee
07-03-2006, 01:26 AM
i throw things at him when he comes to games i attend. Snuff, gum, pennies.

Fal44
07-03-2006, 01:33 AM
that guy is so annoying

Highschoolfan78
07-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Portugal's goalie if they win the world cup haha.. for what he did to England in those penalty kicks.. unreal.. had a hand on every single one..