PDA

View Full Version : Question for the moms

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
allow me to preface with the fact that I do not go to the Dr. I have to be really realyl bad to go. I have had sinus issues for about two weeks now. Today i feel lightheaded. Everytime i stand up my equilibrium is all jacked up. My head hurts a little bit. In your expert opinions (because moms are experts at dignosising) whats the deal? What an I take?

44INAROW
06-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Go to the doctor to find out exactly what's going on! sounds like you got "fluid" in your ears..... that will make you dizzy and light-headed...... My son woke up this morning all achy, 103º, achy, no energy etc..... if he's not better tomorrow, we'll be headed to the DR as well.......

OnceABucJr
06-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Injured - I'm not a Mom but a couple of months back I had your exact symtoms and my family doctor treated me for sinus infections and other sinus problems for almost 4 weeks and 3 different prescriptions - nothing worked and I eventually went to an ENT doctor and he diaognosed me within 5 minutes of checking me out. I also had vertigo when getting up quickly and felt light-headed or like a small headache most of the time.

The ENT treated me for "ear rocks", which are calcium deposits everyone has in their inner ear and when these particles break off (from head injuries or violent movement of the head and old age) and float into the circular tube in your inner ear, they will float and hit the sides of this tube and cause the vertigo or dizziness. I actually think mine happened from a violent sneeze!

Believe it or not, they treat this with physical therapy by laying you down on your back and slightly vibrating your head as they slowing turn your head from the side with the ear problem over a 15 minute timetable over to the side without the problem. This causes the "rocks" to sift back down the tube to the area they came from and, hopefully, stay there.

This can also effect your hearing slightly and may have to do some "balancing" exercises to "tune up" your balance again. Sorry for the long explanation but I have never felt so uncomfortable while all this was going on or so relieved when the ENT/Physical Therapist fixed me up in less than half an hour.

Hope this isn't your problem but it sounds just like my symtoms. Good luck!

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr
Injured - I'm not a Mom but a couple of months back I had your exact symtoms and my family doctor treated me for sinus infections and other sinus problems for almost 4 weeks and 3 different prescriptions - nothing worked and I eventually went to an ENT doctor and he diaognosed me within 5 minutes of checking me out. I also had vertigo when getting up quickly and felt light-headed or like a small headache most of the time.

The ENT treated me for "ear rocks", which are calcium deposits everyone has in their inner ear and when these particles break off (from head injuries or violent movement of the head and old age) and float into the circular tube in your inner ear, they will float and hit the sides of this tube and cause the vertigo or dizziness. I actually think mine happened from a violent sneeze!

Believe it or not, they treat this with physical therapy by laying you down on your back and slightly vibrating your head as they slowing turn your head from the side with the ear problem over a 15 minute timetable over to the side without the problem. This causes the "rocks" to sift back down the tube to the area they came from and, hopefully, stay there.

This can also effect your hearing slightly and may have to do some "balancing" exercises to "tune up" your balance again. Sorry for the long explanation but I have never felt so uncomfortable while all this was going on or so relieved when the ENT/Physical Therapist fixed me up in less than half an hour.

Hope this isn't your problem but it sounds just like my symtoms. Good luck!

Someone one else recently was telling me about "ear rocks". I kind of figured they were reading too many webmd articles. Thanks for the advice all.