PDA

View Full Version : Best Novel you have ever read?

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
I have to say

Texas by Michener.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't read much... but I finished The Da Vinci Code after picking it up about five times... kept me interested the whole way...

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Da Vinci is my next project after Bleachers which should be finished tonight.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Da Vinci is my next project

Like they say, it's a great book, just remember it's fiction ha... just couldn't put that book down, I think when I did it was a cig break or something ha jk

DU_stud04
06-24-2006, 12:51 PM
davinci code was a great book, dan brown has a great imaginary....

right now im working on angels and demonds, also by dan brown

and another one i picked up was "the alphabet of manliness" by maddox, if you dont know who he is, check out his webpage, if you like his webpage, youll love his book http://www.maddox.xmission.com/

Phil C
06-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I really enjoyed For Whom the Bell Tolls by Earnest Hemingway. I had seen the movie, then read the book, and watched the movie again. A lot of times movies change things from the books but this was one movie that stayed very close to the book.

I liked Agatha Christi's And Then There were None. There have been several movie versions but the strange thing is that all the movies have the same different ending and none of them are ever like the book. Recently till James Coburn's death I was hoping they would made a remake of it (and stick to the book) but have the setting in America and Coburn playing the elder retired judge.

PPHSfan
06-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Lonesome Dove

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 03:29 PM
all the Lonesome Dove series of books were great.

hawkfan
06-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I know it is a kid's book, but Where the Red Fern Grows is the greatest book ever written.

DU_stud04
06-24-2006, 03:51 PM
i died in that book:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-24-2006, 04:04 PM
The da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger are my two favorites.

sww-bull52
06-24-2006, 04:11 PM
The Stand by Steven King and anything by John Grisham.

3afan
06-24-2006, 04:31 PM
The Sackett series by Louis L'Amour

pirate4state
06-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Black Hawk Down-Mark Bowden
Friday Night Lights (loved the book more than the movie)
The Harry Potter series!! :nerd:
most of John Grisham's books
Vampire Chronicles-Anne Rice

I love books :nerd: :nerd:

forgot Steven King's books :doh:

un b weavable
06-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Read? :confused:

AggieJohn
06-24-2006, 05:21 PM
matilda

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
matilda

A kid that works here had a shirt on today that said on the front:

Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer...

On the back it read: Too bad Chuck Never Cries.
His brother had them made for a school project.

wordonthastreet
06-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Word on tha street says that Meat on the Hoof was one heck of a book.

piratebg
06-24-2006, 07:27 PM
The Exorcist

William Peter Blatty

rockdale80
06-24-2006, 09:44 PM
The Last Picture Show
Texasville
Duane's Depressed

They are called the Texasville Trilogy by Larry McMurtry(Lonesome Dove). Really good reads.

PhiI C
06-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
The Last Picture Show
Texasville
Duane's Depressed

They are called the Texasville Trilogy by Larry McMurtry(Lonesome Dove). Really good reads.

Those were good books. I know the first two were made into great movies. I hope they make one of the third one. I had heard they were going too but that is all I heard.

Da Mules
06-24-2006, 10:20 PM
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner. This is not light reading--you have to really pay attention to understand and correlate the 4 different parts of this novel. This is a novel of the pre-WWII Old South. The first part (related from the viewpoint of Benjy, deaf/mute and mentally handicapped from birth) is the most difficult to understand, Benjy's brother Quentin's story is depressing but fascinating, youngest brother Jason's sarcastic viewpoint you might say is the Book of Job for the unrighteous man, and maid/cook Dilsey's story brings it all together.
Most of the books in print also include an afterword by Faulkner who felt compelled to finally explain what he's writing about even after telling it from four different viewpoints.
An outstanding novel by a world-class author.

smustangs
06-24-2006, 10:48 PM
one shot one kill about an ex marine snyper

SintonFan
06-25-2006, 12:47 AM
The Mote in God's Eye- Larry Niven(read it as an early teen and was fascinated)
The Sword of Truth Series- Terry Goodkind(great novelist who brought perseverence and the triumph of the human spirit to a whole new level, a must read for any sci-fi/fantsy or anyone who just enjoys the nobility of mankind)
Try Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind, you won't be dissapointed. It's not for the kiddos though.

SpreadtheRed
06-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
one shot one kill about an ex marine snyper

I have been wanting to read that...Is it a biography or does it just detail a sniper life in general?

My favorite book is Jurrasic Park, very detailed into genetics.

SintonFan
06-25-2006, 01:34 AM
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever- Steven R. Donaldson(great series and the author is a true master of the English language)
I can't pick just one...:(

PPHSfan
06-25-2006, 02:20 AM
I prefer Dean Koontz to Stephen King. I also like the way Dan Brown writes, I just wish he didn't include one cheesy scene in every book that would require a really bad Stephen Segal wannabe to play the part.

vet93
06-25-2006, 09:17 AM
The Sackett Series....Read them all as a kid
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Ender's Game (SciFi)

LH Panther Mom
06-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I prefer Dean Koontz to Stephen King.
I like both of them. :)

Maybe not the best I've read, but certainly in the top of the list:

War and Remembrance
Gone with the Wind
The Once and Future King
Charlotte's Web

sww-bull52
06-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
I have been wanting to read that...Is it a biography or does it just detail a sniper life in general?

My favorite book is Jurrasic Park, very detailed into genetics.

Biography about Marine SGT Carlos Hathcock. I may still have it somewhere. If I do it's yours. Very good book.

smustangs
06-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by sww-bull52
Biography about Marine SGT Carlos Hathcock. I may still have it somewhere. If I do it's yours. Very good book.

awsome book the guy was amazing

DaHop72
06-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Most of Robert Ludlums books are very good reading.

SintonFan
06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by vet93
The Sackett Series....Read them all as a kid
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Ender's Game (SciFi)
I haven't read Ender's Game. Orson Scott Card is a great sci-fi author imho.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Fiction:
All the Pretty Horses (McCarthy,nothing like the movie; awesome book)
Horseman, Pass By (McMurtry's first)
Last Picture Show

Nonfiction:
The Bad Guys Won! (Story of the '86 NY Mets World Series run)
It's Not About the Bike (whether you like Lance Armstrong or not, interesting read)

pirate44
06-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
The Sackett series by Louis L'Amour
i have never been a fiction reader, but for a few years in high school, i started reading the Sacketts series of books and loved em. each character reminded me of people i know. great books.

Da Mules
06-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The Mote in God's Eye- Larry Niven(read it as an early teen and was fascinated)
The Sword of Truth Series- Terry Goodkind(great novelist who brought perseverence and the triumph of the human spirit to a whole new level, a must read for any sci-fi/fantsy or anyone who just enjoys the nobility of mankind)
Try Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind, you won't be dissapointed. It's not for the kiddos though.

"Mote" is one of the all-time best of the Sci-Fi stories. First encounter and xenophobia. I have an old dog-earred copy that I dig out of the storage shed every couple of years and read again.

The "Dune" series by Frank Herbert is also a must-read for every serious sci-fi fan. I have all of them from the 1st "Dune" novel to the latest ones written by his son Brian Herbert. Brian cannot match his father's subtle technique, and get the reader into the character's mind, but he's better on action. Too bad they couldn't have worked together (Frank died in 1987.)

Terry Goodkind is extremely good on concepts, but the man.... just can't write.

None of these authors hold a candle to William Faulkner, but I'll be the first to admit they are a lot more fun.

My slanted Cliff's notes for today :D

Originally posted by SintonFan
I haven't read Ender's Game. Orson Scott Card is a great sci-fi author imho.

Orson is also a truly great sci-fi writer. If you read Ender's game, you will definitely want to finish that series, with Speaker for the Dead, Enders Shadow, etc. He has another great and completely different series about Alvin Maker (The Hatrack River stories) which concerns America if history had been slightly different, and if everyone had a small touch of magic (their "knack.")

Card just released 3 outstanding books in a completely new genre (Women of the Bible) Sarah, Rebecca, and Rachel & Leah. All 3 are very well-researched, and bring to life the times of the Patriarchs, and explore the reasons for the conflicts between the Biblical characters well, in a new light for most of us (me, anyways.) I did get a little bit tired of the constant expounding of the women's state of mind/inner conflict, but other than that thoroughly enjoyed all 3 books.

West22
06-25-2006, 09:47 PM
EAST OF EDEN , JOHN STIENBECK

SintonFan
06-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules

Terry Goodkind is extremely good on concepts, but the man.... just can't write.

My slanted Cliff's notes for today :D

I'd pay a nickel to hear how you really felt about Terry Goodkind?:D
I think he doesn't get enough credit for what he has done with his positive style(which rubs the negativists the wrong way) and human "spirit" issues. I thoroughly enjoy the way in which Terry has enriched the whole series from the first book to now.
Have you read Faith of the Fallen in the series? An inspiring read...:cool:
The worst to be said imo is that he tends to "wrap up" his books fairly quick. But not as quick Robert Jordon does in the Wheel of Time series.;)

piratebg
06-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Pretty much any book written by Dr Seuss.

"I do not like green eggs and ham." Words of wisdom from a true master of the pen.