View Full Version : Teen vows to marry MySpace boyfriend

kepdawg
06-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Parents do your job! :rolleyes:

Teen vows to marry MySpace boyfriend

17-year-old who flew to Middle East to meet him talks on news show

10:59 PM CDT on Friday, June 23, 2006

Associated Press

GILFORD, Mich. – A teenager who flew to the Middle East to be with a man she met on My Space.com said Friday she intends to marry him.

"I love him very much," 17-year-old Katherine Lester said of Abdullah Jimzawi, 20, who works in his father's business delivering goods to West Bank convenience stores.

Ms. Lester appeared on ABC-TV's Good Morning America with her father and stepmother. Mr. Jimzawi also spoke with ABC during a taped portion of the segment, describing how the pair "can't live without each other."

After hearing what Mr. Jimzawi said, Ms. Lester began weeping.

"It's true," she said. "I love you. That's all I can say."

The two encountered each other about seven months ago on the social networking Web site but have never met face to face.

Ms. Lester, who turned 17 on Wednesday, was en route to Israel earlier this month when she was intercepted in Jordan by U.S. authorities who seized her passport and put her on a flight back to the United States.

Mr. Jimzawi has told The Associated Press that the two planned to marry and that Ms. Lester planned to convert to Islam. Ms. Lester, a Christian, declined to say Friday whether she intended to convert.

The two have resumed communication online since she returned home.

"Our initial reaction was to isolate her, to lock her up and just keep her safe here in America," said her father, Terry Lester. "But that's unrealistic because you can see the love they have for each other."

Authorities filed a runaway juvenile petition against Ms. Lester this week, and a judge ordered her to give up her passport and undergo counseling. If the judge finds that Ms. Lester was a runaway, she could be put under court supervision until she turns 18.

Cameron Crazy
06-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Man what a crazy story!

piratebg
06-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh give me a break. :mad:

Ranger Mom
06-24-2006, 12:09 AM
I watched that interview on Good Morning America and wanted to slap the parents.

"We didn't know what all she could do on Myspace".

Geez people, get a clue, it's been all over the news!!!!!

Whatever happened to keeping tabs on your kids? My daughter and her are the exact same age, I know where my kid is at all times.

She has a healthy enough fear of me to NOT cross the line like that!!

If she says she is going to spend the night with a friend, you can make darn sure I am on the phone with the parent confirming it. She is also not allowed to stay with anyone whose parents I don't already know and have a "feel" for.

How in the heck did the girl make it to Jordan without her parents knowing??
:doh:

pirate4state
06-24-2006, 12:14 AM
there are no words....:doh: :doh: :doh: ***???

SintonFan
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I always use mylifeispersonal.com. :clap:

stangGirl2007
06-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I always use mylifeispersonal.com. :clap:

What exactly is that?? I think I've heard of it before.....:doh:

SintonFan
06-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
What exactly is that?? I think I've heard of it before.....:doh:
lol
It's a dead url, but hey it works for me.:D

injuredinmelee
06-24-2006, 12:51 AM
no lecture yet from our self appointed unwanted advice giver?

Ranger Mom
06-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

LOL!!

pirate4state
06-24-2006, 01:01 AM
no lecture yet from our self appointed unwanted advice giver? Who are you talking about? :thinking: :thinking: There is no such person on this board!!

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad: :mad:

SintonFan
06-24-2006, 01:02 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSIDERATION!!! :mad:

Ranger Mom
06-24-2006, 01:02 AM
I always feel like it's directed at me for some reason too!!

I'm a BAAADDDDD girl!!:D

piratebg
06-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I always feel like it's directed at me for some reason too!!

I'm a BAAADDDDD girl!!:D

But why could something sooooo baaaaad feel ssoooooo goooood? I have always asked myself this question.

Tiger Baseball
06-24-2006, 01:17 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_117.gif

SintonFan
06-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
If you talking about piratebg, he might be old enough to be your older brother.:p
Lay off, he's not a perv...:)

Tiger Baseball
06-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
If you talking about piratebg, he might be old enough to be your older brother.:p
Lay off, he's not a perv...

SF chill out found this new smiley site and having a little fun with it. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_132.gif

SintonFan
06-24-2006, 01:40 AM
SF chill out found this new smiley site and having a little fun with it. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_132.gif
Did me adding a smiley above change my meaning?:D

piratebg
06-24-2006, 01:41 AM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-051.gif

Tiger Baseball
06-24-2006, 02:01 AM
older brother? That means he is pretty old then. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_11_3.gif

District303aPastPlayer
06-24-2006, 06:49 AM
he's my age.. so that should tell ya...

and here's my take on myspace. Does anyone remember when AOL was first making it big? Where everyone and their teenage brother were trading pictures with whoever they could find on the internet from different places? I do. No one made a big deal about it then. But now, everyone seems to. The same type of stuff is happening via the net that was happening some years ago. You can sue the website all you want, and say what you may, but its not a necessity in life. People CHOOSE to have a myspace. They will not die if they don't have one. I read in a story that a young lady, who, in her myspace, was dressed provocatively and almost obscene, lied about her age. She went on to meet guy after guy. None of them knowing she was not 18. She was sexually assaulted and now her family is suing myspace for because of this. My question is this: Why? Its not myspace's fault that their daughter was prancing around the internet scantily clad. Its not their fault that she decided to meet guys who she didn't know. And it definitely isn't myspace's fault that the girl is a proven liar (her age). Alot of blame is being put on Myspace, but if you think about it, its nothing new. AOL public profile, Yahoo Public Profiles, and MSN Spaces have been around for a while. Myspace has been around for 2 years. So really, who is to blame for all these going's on... Most people pointing fingers (In the media about myspace) should really take a long look in the mirror and examine their parenting skills before shifting the blame to others.

ILS1
06-24-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that my beautiful 16 year old neice decided on her own to close her MySpace account!!!! I was so proud of her!!!

:D

LH Panther Mom
06-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Who are you talking about? :thinking: :thinking: There is no such person on this board!!

:doh: :doh: It must've been late when you posted this. :p ;)

AggieJohn
06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
crazy teens and their supposed "loves"

MHSvarsity2007
06-24-2006, 05:33 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

that totally made my day