PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about "Hazing" in general?

Ranger Mom
05-08-2003, 06:25 PM
I think those kids went WAY overboard. I have no problem with "friendly hazing". It doesn't seem to go on in Greenwood like it did where I went to school. We do have a powderpuff game every year, the night before homecoming - with the seniors winning - NO MATTER WHAT. It is all in good fun with the girls pummeling each other with water balloons and shoe polishing each other's cars the week preceding the game. If anything more than that goes on, I have never heard anything about it!

VWG
05-08-2003, 07:12 PM
It happens. Never saw it in h.s. but went through it in college. I agree that the stuff at the suburban Chicago HS went overboard.
Hazing, not all the time, but sometimes can be used to pull a group of people together to think and react to help each other in a tough physical or emotional situation.
Kids are kids, not to condone bad behavior, but they tease, they make wrong decisions, they fight, etc... Did you notice that that HS had a 97% rate of seniors going on to college? It got out of control, and shouldn't have. I don't agree with hazing as a form of dominance or physical abuse, but it can be used in a positive way also.

sinton66
05-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Personally, I don't approve of hazing in any form by anybody. Innocent fun and teasing are one thing, physical beatings and humiliation are something quite different. I never think it's a good idea to encourage behavior that establishes social "betters". It's roots are in classism, and as such, it has no place in a civilized society of equals.

Doon
05-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Wow, Sinton 66, nobody could have said it any better. We all know it happens. Just remember Hard Knocks with the Ravens and then Cowboys, and you see what goes on. Kids are seeing thier heroes participating, however, no punching, kicking, etc. I am retired military and man-o-man, back in the day!!! However, things have been changed, zero tolerance! Not saying that it doesn't still happen, but there are serious consequences if caught. I've seen it, been hazed and participated in it my whole life, even in high school in West Texas where it was condoned by the high school and community. The freshmen were made to wear a beenie from the beginning of school to homecoming. Then there was what was called Freshman Day where the guys had to wear dresses to school, girls wore inside out pants and shirts. Lipstick and eggs were the requisite for the day. At football practice on this day, Atomic Balm in the Jock, don't know what the girls got, but OW!!!!!!
Anyway, I really don't want it happening to my child, and don't know that it happens around here. With the way things are now, some school district would lose a heck of a lawsuit.

Green Ranger
05-09-2003, 08:27 AM
I am not quite sure of the hazing to which is being refered. My two cents though, I would be willing to bet there is more discrimination, at least here, than there is hazing. It may not be discrimination, however athletes are given the benefit of the doubt 9 out of 10 times. Especially football players, things are not equal in that sense at least at the varsity level. So of there was hazing, very little would be done with the exception of a little running at the expense of hurting someone's feelings. Not fair in my eyes, just my two cents.

texcaj
05-09-2003, 12:32 PM
I think that hazing to be cruel is not acceptable. However, class competition (ie. juniors vs seniors) is a good thing. But no matter what you think about it, the hazing in the movie "Dazed and Confused" is classic.

Pudlugger
05-09-2003, 04:30 PM
sinton66:
Personally, I don't approve of hazing in any form by anybody. Innocent fun and teasing are one thing, physical beatings and humiliation are something quite different. I never think it's a good idea to encourage behavior that establishes social "betters". It's roots are in classism, and as such, it has no place in a civilized society of equals.You're absolutely right Sinton66, hazing is inappropriate and illegal. If a teacher is aware of hazing and does not intervene it is a class b misdemeanor:
Texas State Law Code of Conduct
SUBCHAPTER F. HAZING
§ 37.152. Personal Hazing Offense - A person commits an offense if the person engages in hazing; solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid another in engaging in hazing; recklessly permits hazing to occur; or has firsthand knowledge of the planning of a specific hazing incident involving a student in an educational institution, or has firsthand knowledge that a specific hazing incident has occurred, and knowingly fails to report that knowledge in writing to the dean of students or other appropriate official of the institution. The offense of failing to report is a Class B misdemeanor. Any other offense under this section that does not cause serious bodily injury to another is a Class B misdemeanor. Any other offense under this section that causes serious bodily injury to another is a Class A misdemeanor. Any other offense under this section that causes the death of another is a state jail felony.

Green Ranger
05-12-2003, 07:46 AM
I need to clarify my previous post as not to get any of my coaches in trouble. They have done nothing, however it is my opinion that some athletes are treated better than non athletes up front in reference to getting in trouble. Call it discrimination against others or what you may but to clarify my opinion and make sure my coaches dont get in trouble.

Pudlugger
05-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Green Ranger:
I need to clarify my previous post as not to get any of my coaches in trouble. They have done nothing, however it is my opinion that some athletes are treated better than non athletes up front in reference to getting in trouble. Call it discrimination against others or what you may but to clarify my opinion and make sure my coaches dont get in trouble.I also would not like to see any coaches get into trouble. Hazing is a big concern for coaches because it has become so entrenched in traditions and 'rights of passage' that it can and does occur despite the best effforts of well intentioned coaches and teachers. Most coaches recognize the problem and address it up front to their players so as to prevent any misunderstanding if the rules are broken. As for discrimination, well I don't know. I do feel that when a kid breaks a rule he should in most cases be given a second chance no matter whether he is the captain of the football team or just a troubled student. Obvious exceptions to this would be when significant danger to other students or teachers exists, such as would be the case for weapons or drug violations, violent fighting or particularly cruel or harmful "hazing" incidents.

Communication (by this I mean conferring with the players as a team and laying out the problem and rules and rationals for them, and consequences) and proactive intervention in potential hazing situations are the best ways to deal with this, imho. This is what most coaches are doing nowadays. I am glad you brought this up because everyone, players, coaches parents and fans should work together to insure the safety and well being of all our students and players.

Bandera YaYa
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
We just had our annual PowderPuff game, and my daughter played. The "meanest" thing done to anyone that night was having a water balloon explode on you. If I had seen anything else going on, I would have been over that fence! It's a real shame that this kinda stuff goes on today. Where were the teachers? the parents? I know it wasn't on school property (kinda seems like it was planned that way!) Still, the school had to know about it, from the video, there were alot of people standing way in the background...who were they? Also, it's kinda funny that the video taken to "mark" the memorable occasion, is now being used as evidence against the attackers!! Someone, wasn't too bright, huh? Yeah, the whole thing made me sick.. Those girls were disgusting to watch, like a lynching. Also, did you hear that one girl being interviewed and said "so, she got her head split open? It's not like she died or anything..." Now is that sick or what? Guess she might have felt a little remorseful if the girl would have died? What are some parents teaching their children? It's OK to hurt someone, just make sure they don't die! What a shame, is all i can say. Yeah, i don't believe the school should take all the heat, it's parents that should take their responsibility more seriously, in teaching their kids what is right and what is very, very wrong!

BHcheeze24
05-12-2003, 10:19 AM
I'd personally have to blame the parents because in a town where hazing is present and tradition they should know to go supervise and make sure that it doesn't go overboard. The school system has no control over the hazing if its not on school grounds. Our school here gives a letter out every year saying how its illegal and they also don't allow up coming senior to be able to pick the up coming freshman from school so I believe they're doing all they can do. After they leave the school grounds its those kids parents to make sure that things don't go overboard. Though i'm a proud student and loved my school life here i don't believe in this tradition that is still strong here.

<small>[ May 13, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: BHcheeze24 ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
05-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Sounds like your parents did a fine job with you and you should be proud of your maturity, as well as your school. I know things will go on, as they have in the past, but wouldn't it be a great world if no kind of abuse or hatred or violence existed??? I pray for that every nite and we all should,you know? Keep that smart head on your shoulders,I know you'll have a great life!! :cool: :cool: