PDA

View Full Version : CFN's Top 10 Coaches to hire

3afan
06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
10. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina – Even at this late stage of his career, Spurrier brings something to a program that goes well beyond wins and losses. He’s still a lightning rod for attention, which means kids want to play for him, the media wants to interview him and fans want tickets when he’s in the building. That dynamic, which very few coaches in any sport can create, was on display in Spurrier’s first season in Columbia. As long he’s motivated, he’s still one of the best and most innovative coaches in college football. And if there’s a chance to get such a galvanizing figure on board, it’d be awfully hard to pass up.
One-Year Record at South Carolina: 7-5 (0-1 in bowl games)
One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 6-5 (0-0 in bowl games)
Career Record: 149-45-2 (6-7 in bowl games)

9. Jeff Tedford, Cal – As good as Tedford has been in his first four years in Berkeley, it’s hard to believe it took him so long to get his first head job. The program he inherited was in shambles beyond just its 1-10 record, but he’s whipped the Bears into shape and into three straight bowl games for the first since the late 1940s. Tedford is one of football’s most gifted offensive strategists and a quarterback guru in every sense of the title. Without his presence, there’s no way Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers make it into the NFL’s first round in 2003 and 2005, respectively.
Four-Year Record: 33-17 (2-1 in bowl games)
Four-Year Record Before He Arrived: 13-31 (0-0 in bowl games)

8. Mack Brown, Texas – He’s beaten Oklahoma. He’s won the Big 12. And he’s brought the national championship back to the Lone Star State. Maybe now folks outside Texas can appreciate what Brown has done for the Longhorns. Vilified for years for not being able to win the big game, he’s all that is right in college coaching. He cares about his kids, runs a clean program and creates a home-away-from-home type atmosphere. Oh yeah, he’s also won more than 80% of his games in Austin, including the last two Rose Bowls. Brown hasn’t been under .500 in a season since 1989 and has won at least nine games in 12 of the last 14 years.
Eight-Year Record at UT: 83-19 (5-3 in bowl games)
Eight-Year Record Before He Arrived: 56-36-2 (1-3 in bowl games)
Career Record: 169-93-1 (8-6 in bowl games)

7. Jim Tressel, Ohio State – He’s already won a national championship, beaten Lloyd Carr four times in five tries and won all but one bowl game. Yeah, Tressel has been a pretty good hire for the Buckeye program. At times, he can be maddeningly conservative and predictable on game day, but he gets results, and is well-positioned to make a run at a second national title in five years. Tressel recruits well, emphasizes the fundamentals and leads his troops with the steady hand of an old-school field general.
Five-Year Record: 50-13 (4-1 in bowl games)
Five-Year Record Before He Arrived: 46-15 (2-2 in bowl games)

6. Urban Meyer, Florida – Don’t let last year’s temporary bout with mediocrity fool you. Meyer is a superstar of the coaching ranks. And he’s going to win plenty of games for Florida in the SEC. Meyer’s critics came out of every nook and cranny in 2005, but you don’t coach Bowling Green out of an abyss and guide Utah to a BCS bowl win unless you’re special. Meyer’s only 41, has already proven to be a crackerjack recruiter and flies above the curve in terms of offensive ingenuity. If he can’t out smart you, he’ll out hustle you, an indication that his drive to succeed is relentless.
One-Year Record at Florida: 9-3 (1-0 in bowl games)
One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 7-5 (0-1 in bowl games)
Career Record: 48-11 (3-0 in bowl games)

5. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame – It’s only been one year, but what’s not to like about Weis? With the entire sports world scrutinizing his every move, he made a immediate and profound impact on a university that was going sideways. He’s a winner in ways that extend beyond the record. Yeah, nine wins and a Fiesta Bowl berth was an impressive debut, but Weis has also displayed a knack for out coaching the opposition, cleaning up in recruiting and energizing the masses that’ve been pining for a capable leader since Lou Holtz left South Bend. Like Ralph Friedgen, Weis should have had a job sooner, and looks poised to make up for lost time.
One-Year Record: 9-3 (0-1 in bowl games)
One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 6-6 (0-1 in bowl games)

4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa – Ferentz was extremely slow out of the gate, winning just four games in his first two seasons in Iowa City, but has been one of the country’s premier coaches since turning things around in 2001. In many ways, he’s college football’s version of Bill Belichick, a calm, cerebral leader, who surrounds himself with a terrific staff of assistants. Ferentz and Co. have earned a reputation for taking average recruits that few other schools wanted and molding them into dominant college players and coveted NFL draft picks. See Robert Gallery and Chad Greenway.
Seven-Year Record: 49-36 (3-2 in bowl games)
Seven-Year Record Before He Arrived: 43-38-1 (2-2 in bowl games)

3. Mark Richt, Georgia – In Richt, Georgia has joined forces with the kind of young and successful coach that can conceivably be the pillar of the program for two decades and the school’s next Vince Dooley. He’s been that good in his first five years in Athens. Good coaches win games, but great coaches win titles, and Richt had already bagged a pair of SEC championships before his 46th birthday, including last year’s, which took everyone by surprise. Throw in a hard-to-imagine 19-2 record on the road that includes no out of conference cream puffs, and
Five-Year Record: 52-13 (3-2 in bowl games)
Five-Year Record Before He Arrived: 40-17 (4-0 in bowl games)

2. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma – No one is perfect, and that obviously includes coaches. Keep that in mind as visions of the 2004 Sugar Bowl, 2005 Orange Bowl and the first half of last year dance through your head. Yes, Stoops has shown hints of vulnerability the past couple of years, but not nearly enough to cloud all the good that he’d bring to any program. When he got on board in 1999, the Sooners were riding an unusual six-year streak of .500 or worse finishes, yet it took Stoops just two years to elevate OU to the top of the NCAA mountain. And they’ve been meandering near the peak ever since. He’s tough, disciplined and among the best defensive strategists in all of college football. Stoops is a franchise head coach, who’d bring dignity, better recruits and elevated expectations to his next employer.
Seven-Year Record: 75-16 (4-3 in bowl games)
Seven-Year Record Before He Arrived: 37-40-3 (1-1 in bowl games)

1. Pete Carroll, USC – Critics point to USC’s deep pool of local prep talent and assume any coach can be plugged into the job, and 10-win seasons will churn out. Those critics are sorely misguided. Carroll did not take over a well-oiled machine when he arrived in 2001. In fact, the once proud Trojans were mired in mediocrity and the last 10-win season had happened in 1988. After losing six games by a combined 29 points in his debut season, Carroll has led USC to a 48-4 record, four straight Pac-10 titles, three BCS bowl wins and at least a share of two national championships. His high energy, low stress coaching style has been a smashing success with the players, and his ability to make in-game adjustments and attract blue-chip talent from all over the country is second to none.
Five-Year Record: 54-10 (3-2 in bowl games)
Five-Year Record Before He Arrived: 31-29 (0-1 in bowl games)

BTEXDAD
06-23-2006, 04:36 PM
My take on Bob Stoops

After getting hammered in last two bowl games and also annihilated by Texas last year, do you think it's about time Stoops gets some of the old Mack Brown treatment about not winning the big games?

(And don't forget the 35-7 pasting OU got from K-State in big 12 title game prior to 2004 nat championship game.)

Stoops has been getting tons of credit for the five game winning streak over texas and for winning nat championship in year when there weren't a lot of good teams in country.
His teams have lost a lot of "big" games since that national championship and he's been playing the games with players that have consistently been ranked as better recruiting classes than Mack Brown's.
Mostly sour grapes, but I feel the man is overated.

Cameron Crazy
06-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
My take on Bob Stoops

After getting hammered in last two bowl games and also annihilated by Texas last year, do you think it's about time Stoops gets some of the old Mack Brown treatment about not winning the big games?

(And don't forget the 35-7 pasting OU got from K-State in big 12 title game prior to 2004 nat championship game.)

Stoops has been getting tons of credit for the five game winning streak over texas and for winning nat championship in year when there weren't a lot of good teams in country.
His teams have lost a lot of "big" games since that national championship and he's been playing the games with players that have consistently been ranked as better recruiting classes than Mack Brown's.
Mostly sour grapes, but I feel the man is overated. I dislike him very badly (stoops) that is!

KTJ
06-23-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not a Stoops fan. The real brains behind the Stoops brothers went to Zona.

Ferentz of Iowa is laughable at best. His teams are overrated and have done nothing the last several years. They are always picked to win the Big 10 or go to a highly contested BCS game, or even the NC, and they never deliver.

Mack should DEFINITELY be higher on the list. Doesn't he have the best record, or winning percentage, over the last 5=8 years???

Cameron Crazy
06-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I wish the chief were here so he could tell me how good they are going to be this year!:D

injuredinmelee
06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Ferentz of Iowa is laughable at best. His teams are overrated and have done nothing the last several years. They are always picked to win the Big 10 or go to a highly contested BCS game, or even the NC, and they never deliver.

Mack should DEFINITELY be higher on the list. Doesn't he have the best record, or winning percentage, over the last 5=8 years???

Right on with the stoops brain and muscle to AZ.

big daddy russ
06-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
That's exactly why I picked (and whiffed) on the Wildcats being the surprise team of '05. I'm going for a double whammy this year. With that QB they have and the defense taking on the personality of Stoops, I can't help but think they'll be better than their rivals in Tempe.

On that note, I'm very impressed with Bob Stoops. To me, the most important quality in a head coach is his ability to delegate responsibility and find the guys he can trust doing just that. Brown has made some great strides towards that end the last few years, but Stoops, over the course of his career, should be number one as of right now, IMO.

wordonthastreet
06-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Word on tha street says that Mack should be much higher on the list. The boy at Tech has done a great job with less bluechips and should crack the top 10.

KTJ
06-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by wordonthastreet
Word on tha street says that Mack should be much higher on the list. The boy at Tech has done a great job with less bluechips and should crack the top 10.

I like Leach and I think he's the greatest offensive mind in the game right now.

The only thing that prevents me from putting him in my top 10 is that Tech hasn't consistantly beaten the top teams in the Big 12 (Big 12 South.)

If Tech can do that this year, which if they do, they are BCS bowl bound, then Leach becomes a hot name.

gtownpoke
06-24-2006, 09:52 PM
redo this list in 10 years and i bet steve kragthorpe is on there

KTJ
06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
redo this list in 10 years and i bet steve kragthorpe is on there

Is that the coach at Tulsa?

gtownpoke
06-24-2006, 10:24 PM
ya he's the one at tulsa. i have heard from lots of people if franchionce gets the boot after this year kragthorpe will be the lead for his replacement. that would be a HELL of a get for the aggies. the man can coach

Steer Fever
06-24-2006, 10:50 PM
yes STOOPS is the best coach on that top ten list. Big Mack is so overrated it's funny. he can't win the big games VY won all the games for him. lets just see how he does this year w-o VY. he was basically their whole team.

Emerson1
06-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Steer Fever
yes STOOPS is the best coach on that top ten list. Big Mack is so overrated it's funny. he can't win the big games VY won all the games for him. lets just see how he does this year w-o VY. he was basically their whole team.
And stoops can't win without a good player either. Look at the RRS, no adrian and OU got owned.

big daddy russ
06-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I think Stoops is the best coach on the list, but Mack's not far behind.

KTJ
06-24-2006, 11:33 PM

This tells me you have no collective clue about college football. Still to calf-roping or whatever yall do in Graham.

But Coach Fran is the savior for Agricultural football. He's a better game day coach than Bob Stoops and a better recruiter than Mack Brown. :D :D :D

Bulldog_12
06-25-2006, 01:34 AM
ya he's the one at tulsa. i have heard from lots of people if franchionce gets the boot after this year kragthorpe will be the lead for his replacement. that would be a HELL of a get for the aggies. the man can coach

Actually, word around Aggieland is that if Fran gets the boot it will be Tommy Tuberville from Auburn as the front runner. He was here a few years ago as a defensive coordinator. There was a link to a story somewhere about it. Ill see if I cant find it.

Bulldog_12
06-25-2006, 01:35 AM
I found the story.

Tuberville a possibility (http://www.alexcityoutlook.com/articles/2006/06/12/sports/sports03.txt)

DaHop72
06-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I like Leach and I think he's the greatest offensive mind in the game right now.

The only thing that prevents me from putting him in my top 10 is that Tech hasn't consistantly beaten the top teams in the Big 12 (Big 12 South.)

If Tech can do that this year, which if they do, they are BCS bowl bound, then Leach becomes a hot name. For Tech to advance in the Big 12, their defense has to get better. You can't always depend on ourscoring the other team.

wordonthastreet
06-25-2006, 11:53 AM
If Fran doesn't produce in Aggieland this year, the word on tha street is that he will be seeing the highway.

injuredinmelee
06-25-2006, 01:06 PM

seems like just a couple of years ago you could take Krags out and insert frannies name and its the same thing all the ags said then.

injuredinmelee
06-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This tells me you have no collective clue about college football. Still to calf-roping or whatever yall do in Graham.

But Coach Fran is the savior for Agricultural football. He's a better game day coach than Bob Stoops and a better recruiter than Mack Brown. :D :D :D

when I first saw your post i was thinking wow his guy is a moron then it hit me that you were all about sarcasm. Hook EM!

Cameron Crazy
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM
"HOOK THEM":D

Chris Hart
06-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

If Tech can do that this year, which if they do, they are BCS bowl bound, then Leach becomes a hot name. Agreed that Leach needs to consistently beat OU and UT to make the list. But, how many of those on that list could do as much as Leach has done with the talent at Tech? IMO, maybe a couple of them at best...

big daddy russ
06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Ferentz of Iowa is laughable at best. His teams are overrated and have done nothing the last several years.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. We're talking about coaching, not preseason hype, and Ferentz has done a phenomenal job. If you look STRICTLY at the talent he has to work with and his teams' performances over the last few years, they've more than held their own.

Originally posted by KTJ
They are always picked to win the Big 10 or go to a highly contested BCS game, or even the NC, and they never deliver.
Here's how his Hawkeyes have finished over the last four years:

YEAR...OVR...CONF...BIG TEN FINISH...BOWL GAME
'05......7-5....5-3.......3rd (t).....#16 Florida over #11 Iowa, 31-24 (Outback)
'04......10-2..7-1.......1st (t)..........#11 Iowa over #12 LSU, 25-20 (Capital One)
'03......10-3..5-3.......3rd (t)..#25 Iowa over No. 17 Florida, 37-17 (Ouback)
'02......11-2..8-0.......1st (t)...#5 USC over #3 Iowa, 38-17 (Rose)

Here's a rundown of their recruiting classes the past five years:

STARS...'02...'03...'04...'05...'06

A grand total of two five-star recruits the past five years, a total of 15 four-star recruits (average of only three per year) during that same time span. Only once ('05- they were 11th) did they have a recruiting class that was ranked in the top 40 in the nation and that was also the only class to average more than 2.71 stars per recruit. Not exactly a UT or OU. During that same time, however, with those same recruits, they've been to one BCS Bowl Game and three second-tier bowl games. They've also never finished lower than third in ONE OF THE TWO HARDEST football conferences in the nation, capturing the Big Ten crown twice.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Kirk Ferentz is "laughable" as one of the top coaches in the nation or how the Hawkeyes have been overrated any year except 2005, when they finished third in the Big Ten.

While the Macks, Bobby Bowdens, and Pete Carrolls of the world make contenders out of four-star recruiting classes, Ferentz has done the job with sub-3-star recruiting classes. And while UT has put together a string of 10-win seasons with a boatload of the best recruits in the nation, Ferentz has done the same with a bunch of recruits that were trying to decide between the University of Iowa and Northwestern North Dakota University- Fargo Campus. One season with fewer than 10 wins in the past four years is more than respectable in my book. You take away UT's national title year, the Hawkeyes have been the better team.

Ferentz deserves that spot, and Mack is nowhere near the coach that Ferentz is.

big daddy russ
06-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Actually, word around Aggieland is that if Fran gets the boot it will be Tommy Tuberville from Auburn as the front runner. He was here a few years ago as a defensive coordinator. There was a link to a story somewhere about it. Ill see if I cant find it.
Here's to a Big XII Title for the Ags in '06. :D :D :D

Old Tiger
06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Urban Meyer is the best young coach out there. His system is really good to work at Bowling Green and Utah. Florida will be awesome within it.

3afan
06-25-2006, 03:49 PM
...Big Mack is so overrated it's funny. ....

thats the way to think for yourself .......

Bulldog_12
06-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Here's to a Big XII Title for the Ags in '06. :D :D :D

I knew you would become the biggest Ag supporter after this. lol

big daddy russ
06-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I knew you would become the biggest Ag supporter after this. lol
You know it. I may even stop wearing my Auburn shirts to the games.:D