View Full Version : Kinne: It's Florida or Baylor after Vols force choice

Aesculus gilmus
06-23-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.theoldcoach.com/archives/001319.php

Kinne: It's Florida or Baylor after Vols force choice

By David McNabb
theoldcoach.com
dallasblog.com
Gilmer QB G.J. Kinne said he's deciding between Florida and Baylor after Tennessee put on deadline pressure for a commitment. Kinne talked to Florida reporters on his visit this week that included a stop at Tennessee, which didn't want to hold a scholarship for Kinne any longer. When Kinne didn't feel comfortable committing, the Vols gave a first offer to a Chattanooga quarterback (B.J.Coleman if you must know) who immediately accepted.

Kinne is now one of three quarterbacks Florida coach Urban Meyer has offered. National recruits Logan Gray and Stephen Garcia are the others. Typically, it's which of those commits first will get the Gators' QB offer.

Kinne also is considering Baylor, where his dad Gary Joe Kinne (a former Baylor player) became an assistant in the spring. G.J. Kinne will attend the EA Elite quarterback competition in Las Vegas this weekend. While Florida and Baylor are at the top of Kinne's list, there are a lot of schools that may try to stay in the mix as well, particularly if Kinne qualifies for as one of the Elite 11 national qualifiers.

The elder Kinne was coach at Canton when a disgruntled player's parent shot Kinne in the Canton Fieldhouse in the spring of '04. The shooter has been sentenced to 20 years in prison. After Gary Joe Kinne left for Baylor, G.J. and his mother moved to Gilmer citing safety and emotional reasons.

G.J. Kinne grew up in Mesquite through eighth grade while his dad was a Mesquite assistant. A one-time North Mesquite standout, Gary Joe moved to Canton to take his first head coaching position. G.J. was the starting freshman quarterback and Canton improved to a school best quarterfinal playoff march in 2005.

At Gilmer. Kinne will be teamed with an already talented roster that includes senior WR/DB Curtis Brown (Texas commitment) and one of next year's top running prospects, junior Justin Johnson.

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
ahhhh.....SICK 'EM BEARS!!!

AggieJohn
06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
i do hope that kinne goes to baylor

Phil C
06-23-2006, 02:43 PM
It would be nice if Baylor gets him. Tennessee may not have had a choice but to ask for committment because if you wait too long for one he could change his mind and you might lose on someone else even though they still sometimes change their minds at the last minute leaving you holding the bag.

I remember a few years ago UT Women's Basketball had a weak verbal committment from a star California girl who on signing day changed her mind at the last minute (didn't keep her word) and decided to go to Connecticut. The sad thing was there was another good player UT could have gotten but she had already committed to A&M when UT didn't offer (she kept her word) and she became a star player for the Lady Aggies.

Needless to say I was delighted when Connecticut got eliminated in the playoffs last years. :)

Phil C
06-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I also think Florida already has some good committments at QB so he could probably start playing earlier at Baylor. Also Baylor is an up coming powerhouse because remember they just barely lost to OU at Oklahoma last year :eek: and the Aggies barely beat them. With Bill Bradley and that defense there and an improved offense Baylor will be a threat indeed.

hawkfan
06-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I think he will probably end up at Baylor, but I believe he has talent for perrinial(spelling) contender, such as Florida or Tennesse. But then again, maybe he ses something with the team that I don't. But I think he will have some competition at Baylor. That Szymanski kid from Wichita Falls is not a slouch by any means.

BlueBlood
06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I hope Lamar University gets him. Can he hoop?

sahen
06-24-2006, 12:22 AM
i hope he comes to baylor too....Syzmanski is gonna be pretty good but the more competition we have for QB the better they will be..sic'em!