PDA

View Full Version : Reyna retires from international competition

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Reyna retires from international competition

HAMBURG, Germany (AP) -- U.S. captain Claudio Reyna retired from international competition Friday, a day after his final World Cup game ended with a loss and an injury.

Reyna, who turns 33 on July 20, joined the national team in 1994 and was on the U.S. World Cup roster for the fourth time. He became captain in 1998, shortly after Bruce Arena became coach.

"It was clear that four years is too much time to make the next one," Reyna said at a news conference. "So it just makes sense to stop now. I think it's a good time, as well, to stop playing at a good level."

Reyna, who will continue to play for Manchester City in England's Premier League, filled a key role in the Americans' surprising run to the quarterfinals in 2002. But his final World Cup was disappointing. The United States finished last in Group E with one point after losing 2-1 to Ghana on Thursday in a game the Americans needed to win to advance to the second round.

He scored eight goals in 112 international appearances, directing the team's offense from the center of the midfield. Reyna also has played club ball for Bayer Leverkusen and Wolfsburg in Germany, Glasgow Rangers in Scotland and Sunderland in England.

"When we look down the road, the day we do eventually win a World Cup, I think Claudio is still going to remembered as one of the greats and one of the pioneers," said U.S. coach Bruce Arena, who was also Reyna's coach at the University of Virginia.

Reyna sprained a ligament in his left knee midway through the first half Thursday on the play that led to Ghana's first goal. Reyna collected the ball on a short backpass in the 22nd minute when he and Haminu Draman collided, their left knees knocking.

Reyna crumpled to the ground in pain. Draman picked up the ball and came in one-on-one against goalkeeper Kasey Keller, putting the ball onto his right foot and sending it into the corner of the net from about 12 yards.

Reyna was carried off the field on a stretcher, but wasn't replaced and was soon seen jogging on the sideline. He came back into the game in the 26th minute, but appeared to be in pain and was replaced in the 40th minute by Ben Olsen.

Forward Brian McBride, who turned 34 Monday, and defender Eddie Pope, who is 32, also said they were playing their last World Cups. Keller hopes to play in the 2010 tournament, when he'll be 40.

"We don't really have a major, like a European Championship, in two years or something like that, where I felt in two years I could still be playing, but at four years I think is a little bit too much," Reyna said. "They're a few other guys that I think are in the same situation."

Your views on this story? Email newsdesk@soccernet.com
Join the discussion on our Message Boards

AggieJohn
06-23-2006, 02:38 PM
this is like nick van exel retiring, who cares, you were good once and you stunk it up

Phil C
06-23-2006, 02:53 PM
:(

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 02:55 PM
don't be downhearted Phil. We have a good group of up and coming talent that will hopefully lead the US to new heights in World Cup competition.