PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer’s football prospects getting better and better

Aesculus gilmus
06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2006/06/22/local_news/sports/sports02.txt
Gilmer’s football prospects getting better and better
Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:35 AM CDT

By LOUIE AVERY
Texarkana Gazette

It just gets better and better for the Gilmer Buckeyes.

Gilmer’s football team got statewide attention recently when G.J. Kinne transferred in from Canton. He was named the 3A Player of the Year after passing for more than 4,000 yards his junior season.

It wasn’t surprising Kinne left Canton. He reportedly received threats of bodily harm after local Jeff Robertson was sentenced to 20 years for shooting Kinne’s father Gary Jo Kinne.

Still, there’s room for suspicion since Kinne chose Gilmer, a team that Canton beat 61-58 in the playoffs last winter. The Buckeyes operate out of a wide open offense that should fit Kinne’s talents quite well.

Gilmer already had an outstanding quarterback in Jamell Kennedy, who reportedly has no problem moving to wide receiver so Kinne can have his job.

The Buckeyes also have Curtis Brown back. He is considered by many to be the top prospect in the state at wide receiver and has already committed to Texas.

Can it get any better than this for the Buckeyes?

It did a few days ago when Houston Tuminello transferred from Mesquite to Gilmer. Tuminello played football last season at Canton where he caught 90 passes for 1,225 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Word has it that Tuminello and his family moved to Mesquite because he was also receiving threats of bodily harm. His father is a minister who was looking for a smaller community to call home and Gilmer just happened to fill the bill.

Now you might be saying that’s great for Gilmer and what does it have to do with Texarkana?

Now you might be saying that’s great for Gilmer and what does it have to do with Texarkana?

Well, if the prognosticators know what they’re talking about, Liberty-Eylau will advance to the playoffs from District 16-3A.

Since L-E will be the largest school in the district it will compete in Division 1 (big school). Their first- round opponent would come from District 15-3A, where the largest school just happens to be Gilmer.

If both teams finished the regular season 10-0, Gilmer, ranked No. 1 by Texas Football Magazine in its pre-season poll, would obviously be a favorite. That scenario is not likely because the Leopards will be playing one of the hardest schedules in 3A this fall.

L-E has Sulphur Springs, Paris, North Lamar, Mount Pleasant, Greenville and defending 3A state champion Wimberly on its schedule. Realistically speaking, it’s not likely the Leopards will be unbeaten this coming season.

That could work to the Leopards’ favor.

Gilmer has some tough games with teams like Tatum on its schedule, but the Buckeyes’ prospects of going 10-0 during the regular season are good.

Say the Leopards finish 8-2 or 7-3, odds makers will have Gilmer winning in a rout. If the Gilmer players believe that, a shocking upset is not out of the question.

But if you’re a Leopard fan, you’ve got to be wondering who’s going to guard Brown? And Tuminello? And Kennedy? And let’s not forget Kinne is a running threat as is running back Justin Johnson.

L-E folks can’t really complain about Gilmer’s good fortune because the Leopards have had their share of transfers that contributed in several sports.

Will Middlebrooks, Josh Wheeler, Brandon Jones and others came to L-E after attending middle school somewhere else. But they weren’t senior transfers.

Still, my gut says Tuminello’s moving to Gilmer deserves a very long look from the Executive Committee in District 15-3A.

CHS_CG
06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
GILMER GILMER GILMER:rolleyes:

Aesculus gilmus
06-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Now you are beginning to know how we felt up here in this neck of the woods a few years back when Burnet was in 3A and every thread was about McGee and Shipley.:)

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Now you are beginning to know how we felt up here in this neck of the woods a few years back when Burnet was in 3A and every thread was about McGee and Shipley.:) Every year it is someone new. No worries! It should be noted that all the teams/persons heavily touted early didn't win the State Championship that year. ;) Just a little FYI.

JasperDog94
06-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Word has it that Tuminello and his family moved to Mesquite because he was also receiving threats of bodily harm. :rolleyes:

Mommy, he's looking at me... That's apparently good enough for UIL purposes.

Adidas410s
06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Now you are beginning to know how we felt up here in this neck of the woods a few years back when Burnet was in 3A and every thread was about McGee and Shipley.:)

except those players didn't have a bunch of ?'s swirling around over why they were playing in Burnet.

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:rolleyes:

Mommy, he's looking at me... That's apparently good enough for UIL purposes.

http://img157.exs.cx/img157/2443/crazy1673te.gif

JHS_c/o_06'
06-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I dont exactly have an unbiased view of Gilmer....so i'll stay out of this one.

Gobbla2001
06-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
except those players didn't have a bunch of ?'s swirling around over why they were playing in Burnet.

Yah, those were actually Burnet's players... I still have yet to figure out if we are discussing Gilmer or Canton's players here...

The headline should read:

"Canton's football prospects getting worse and worse"

Gobbla2001
06-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Did Canton have any great defensive players from last year's team that are returning this season?

prospects could be getting better (Kinne Jr.), better (Other dude) and BETTER (another dude)...

Hell may read better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better before the season starts...

The UIL must have a big table cuz some big stuff's going on under it...

Gobbla2001
06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
every thread was about McGee and Shipley.:)

Yah, but these are about breaking the UIL rules, they just broke the rules of gravity etc...

mustang04
06-22-2006, 05:42 PM
wow.....why am i not surprised????:rolleyes:

Gobbler Fan
06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Gilmer has officialy been moved to the top of my *teams I want to lose list*:D

mustang04
06-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Gilmer has officialy been moved to the top of my *teams I want to lose list*:D

hahaha!!!:D

Gilmer is like one of my buddies that i used to play NCAA football on the PS2 with ....he'd build this ridiculously bad@$$ team then i'd play against him with one of the default college teams (usually UT or Kansas State) and i'd beat him haha

sometimes you can have a top ranked athlete at every position but that doesnt always promise a win!:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
What I want to know is how a good, upstanding preacher's son would be receiving threats of violence for....:thinking:

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What I want to know is how a good, upstanding preacher's son would be receiving threats of violence for....:thinking:

well....you know how those preacher's kids can be!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

lostaussie
06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
did ya'll know larry brown got fired today. the knicks replaced him with isiah thomas. snyder_tigerfan told me that earlier today!!!!!!!

PPHSfan
06-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Here is some news for you sports fans. Gilmer was gonna roll BEFORE Kinne and Company got to town.

Gilmer 15-0 in 2006

Celina 16-0 in 2006

Hide and Watch.

gtownpoke
06-22-2006, 09:56 PM
im gettin to like pphsfan more and more lol

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke

I used to til he went and got a job and abandoned us!:(

Emerson1
06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Here is some news for you sports fans. Gilmer was gonna roll BEFORE Kinne and Company got to town.

Gilmer 15-0 in 2006

Celina 16-0 in 2006

Hide and Watch.
Do you have a prediction for the Jackrabbits this year?

PPHSfan
06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Do you have a prediction for the Jackrabbits this year?

I hope that Forney will sneak into the playoffs this year. But I am not gonna go out on a limb just yet.

On another note though. I believe former Jackrabbit Caleb Hanie will have a break-out season this year at Colorado State.

Gobbla2001
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

Gilmer 15-0 in 2006

Celina 16-0 in 2006

Hide and Watch.

Shoot, you gotta get out more :p :D

Phil C
06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke

A great person indeed. He just needs to improve his attitude toward women's soccer. :)

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
A great person indeed. He just needs to improve his attitude toward women's soccer. :)

and softball...and old western movies...

Phil C
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and softball...and old western movies...

:)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4408/1694/200/young_vince_soccer.jpg

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
:)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4408/1694/200/young_vince_soccer.jpg

ROFL...good one Phil! :thumbsup: