PDA

View Full Version : George West's New Coach

Buccaneer
06-22-2006, 10:07 AM
is Gary Davenport. He is a former coach at Sinton, CC Carroll, AP and Port Lavaca. His offensive coordinator will be Bruce Bush, former coach at Alice, GP, and San Marcos. Between them they have over 400 victories. They were hired on 6 month contracts.

AP Panther Fan
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
They are lucky to get Coach Davenport. I don't know the OC, but best of luck to them both!

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
:thinking: Interesting....

44INAROW
06-22-2006, 10:33 AM
6 months? Is that unusual? I don't know much about coach's contracts, but that seems kinda strange to me :eek:

OnceABucJr
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Both these guys are VERY successful RETIRED coaches. I can only assume GW didn't have time to search for a new AD/HC or wanted to get something started until they find a new coach. How much can you do in 6 months?

pirate44
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
my bro at three rivers has his work cut out for him. thats their big rival.

SintonFan
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
is Gary Davenport. He is a former coach at Sinton, CC Carroll, AP and Port Lavaca. His offensive coordinator will be Bruce Bush, former coach at Alice, GP, and San Marcos. Between them they have over 400 victories. They were hired on 6 month contracts.
Wow!
Two quality coaches like that at GW? They've always had some decent talent there and these coaches I bet can get things done pretty quick.:cool:

sinton66
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Wow!
Two quality coaches like that at GW? They've always had some decent talent there and these coaches I bet can get things done pretty quick.:cool:

Depends, takes at least a full season to get the bugs out of a newly installed wing-t. Dunno if G.W. has run the wing-t before, maybe they have. IF they have, you couldn't find better coaches to come in and refine it.;)
(Had to be some bucks involved to draw BOTH out of retirement)

SintonFan
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Bush ran the wing-t too.
Hopefully they'll get a chance to get all the kinks out.;)

super1
06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Actually, GW has been running the SLOT T, of which Bush is considered by many to be the guru of the Slot T.

There seems to be some controversy in this situation. The former HC had been looking at different job options and the admin. took exception to that and started looking for new coaches. Some in the admin had ties to Davenport and knew that he would be interested in staying in coaching so they hired him. Not sure just how Bush got involved, but he's been retired, too. All this was done before the former HC had turned in his resignation.

Good coaches, all....just a very interesting situation.

Phil C
06-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr
Both these guys are VERY successful RETIRED coaches. I can only assume GW didn't have time to search for a new AD/HC or wanted to get something started until they find a new coach. How much can you do in 6 months?

I guess it happens sometimes Once. I remember in 1973 (I think) Freer had had about 4 losing seasons but finally things were looking good. However, our head coach resigned for another job after the first week in practice in the fall about a week before the season was to start. However at the same time Coach Ted Grey (spelling) had left Refugio (where he had coached a co-championship state team) to go somewhere else that I can't remember but he got into a difference of opinionion with the school district and resigned. This left him open and Freer had an opening so he was hired for six months (I knew a member of the school board and he said they knew that Freer would only have him that football season since they got him on the rebound). That was a fun season because after having had four bad seasons Freer won district and advanced to regionals. After the season Coach Grey went to Calallen and later to Dickinson (spelling?) where he had success and won a State Championship.

maroogreen
06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Holy Moly! That's a lot of coach(es) for a 2A school!

My guess is that this is more of a "fun" thing for them. I'm betting neither one has to teach a class other than athletics. Really, it's a choice type of a job for a coach that doesn't have to worry about bringing home the bacon to support his family. Just go coach football and you're done--none of the administrative mess, no coaching sports you don't particularly care for, etc., and at the end of the season, no worrying about whether or not you have a job next year. Just coaching football for the joy of it...or because you can't get it out of your bloodstream...or because you've retired and hate being at the house with the missus...you get the idea.

It's probably also a way to get two great coaches and not have to go into an actual retire/rehire situation for the entire district. Some school districts choose not to participate in that.

CalallenWildcat
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
George West is going to rapidly improve with Davenport and Bush at the helm.

Blastoderm55
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Is GW still in the same brutal district as last year? They had a great team and still missed the playoffs because the district was so competitive.

GOFOR2
06-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by GPWildcat
George West is going to rapidly improve with Davenport and Bush at the helm.

not working with the kids during the off-season will be difficult.

CalallenWildcat
06-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
not working with the kids during the off-season will be difficult.

Agreed, but these two guys are great coaches. They'll have enough taught to the kids by Game 1 that the team will be ready. And watch out by the time District comes around.

CalallenWildcat
06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Not sure about this, but doesn't this give George West the winningest coaching staff in Texas HS Football?