PDA

View Full Version : Knicks fire Brown - Guess who the new coach is-

Snyder_TigerFan
06-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Knicks fire Brown, name Thomas new coach

ESPN.com news services

The New York Knicks fired coach Larry Brown on Thursday, replacing him as coach with president and general manager Isiah Thomas.

The Knicks finished 23-59 in Brown's first and only season at the helm.

"Larry has had a long and storied career. We hired him last summer with the expectation that he would be with the Knicks for a long time. Sometimes decisions work and sometimes they don't," MSG Chairman James L. Dolan said. "After careful consideration, despite the best intentions from everyone involved, this current structure did not work for us last season and I did not think it was going to improve next season."

Thomas, who joined the Knicks as president and general manager on Dec. 22, 2003, previously served as a head coach with the Indiana Pacers for three seasons from 2000-01 through 2002-03. His Pacers teams were 131-115 record, making the playoffs in each of his three seasons.

"No one in our organization is happy with last season and we all accept responsibility for our performance," Thomas said. "This has been a difficult time for the entire organization and our fans. Today begins the 2006-07 season for the Knicks, and I strongly believe we are on the right track to take major steps in our rebuilding process to achieve our goal of being one of the premier teams in the NBA."

STANG RED
06-22-2006, 09:28 AM
I never really understood why he left Detroit to begin with. Those guys loved him there, and they were seeing lots of success.

Sometime that greener looking grass on the other side of the fence, turns out to be stinkweed.

BTEXDAD
06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
there were some espn guys predicting this awhile back, but I'm still surprised.
I didn't think anybody could be stupid enough to hire/appoint Isiah as coach after the terrible job he's done as GM, but I guess as team president, he's actually hiring himself.
Knicks have to be one of the worst pro sports organizations around right now.

big daddy russ
06-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Thomas needs to shift his interests purely to coaching the team and let someone else take over as GM. That someone should then fire Thomas.

super1
06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
This is going to wind up costing the Knicks organization some $$$$$. Larry Brown was only in the 1st year of a 4 year deal. I don't think he's going to settle for a reduced buy-out of his contract. They are going to have to pay him.