PDA

View Full Version : This Day in Music

Adidas410s
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
One day like today...

Singer, songwriter and actor Kris Kristofferson was born in Brownsville, Texas. His first success as a songwriter came when Roger Miller recorded "Me and Bobby McGee." That song was turned into a million-seller by Janis Joplin in 1971. And Sammi Smith sold a million with "Help Me Make It Through the Night," another Kristofferson song. By this time, Kristofferson had begun his career as a singer, and in 1972, his single, "The Silver-Tongued Devil and I," was certified gold. His other successes have included the single, "Why Me," and the albums "The Silver-Tongued Devil and I" and "Jesus Was a Capricorn." In 1985, Kristofferson, along with Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, recorded the hugely successful "Highwayman" single and album.

Mark David Chapman, a 25 year-old drifter, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the death of John Lennon. On December 8th, 1980, Chapman shot Lennon seven times in front of Lennon's New York apartment building just hours after the former Beatle had given him his autograph.

Starting today this week in 1997, Hanson went to #1 with "Mmm Bop" and Wu-Tang Clan went to #1 on the album charts with "Wu-Tang Forever". This signified the beginning of the dominance of teen pop and hip-hop as the predominant music genres in American pop culture.

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Janis Joplin's verision of "Me and Bobby McGee" = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
06-22-2006, 02:51 PM
http://static.flickr.com/27/39185438_6e5c5105c3_o.gif