PDA

View Full Version : AOL is Evil!!!!

pirate44
06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
On Tape: Rep Won't Let Customer Quit AOL

POSTED: 4:11 pm EDT June 21, 2006
UPDATED: 5:53 pm EDT June 21, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watch Video: AOL Rep Won't Let Man Cancel Account | Slideshow: Blow-By-Blow Slideshow
E-mail: Send Video To A Friend
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An incredible video from CNBC shows an AOL customer trying to cancel his account, but a phone rep won't let him do it. What customer Vincent Ferrari got when he tried to cancel his account was a lot of frustration.

It took him 15 minutes waiting on the phone just to reach a real, live person.

And, what happened next was recorded by Ferrari on audio and lasted about four minutes:

CLOCK READOUT - 00:00

AOL REPRESENTATIVE: Hi this is John at AOL... how may I help you today?

VINCENT FERRARI: I wanted to cancel my account.

AOL: Sorry to hear that. Let's pull your account up here real quick. Can I have your name please?

VINCENT: Vincent Ferrari.

CLOCK READOUT - 00:30

AOL: You've had this account for a long time.

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: Use this quite a bit. What was the cause of wanting to turn this off today?

VINCENT: I just don't use it anymore.

AOL: Do you have a high speed connection, like the DSL or cable?

VINCENT: Yup.

AOL: How long have you had that...

VINCENT: Years...

AOL: ...the high speed?

VINCENT: ...years.

AOL: Well, actually I'm showing a lot of usage on this account.

VINCENT: Yeah, a long time, a long time ago, not recently...

CLOCK READOUT - 01:47

AOL: Okay, I mean is there a problem with the software itself?

VINCENT: No. I just don't use it, I don't need it, I don't want it. I just don't need it anymore.

AOL: Okay. So when you use this... I mean, use the computer, I'm saying, is that for business or for... for school?

VINCENT: Dude, what difference does it make. I don't want the AOL account anymore. Can we please cancel it?

CLOCK READOUT - 02:21

AOL: Last year was 545, last month was 545 hours of usage...

VINCENT: I don't know how to make this any clearer, so I'm just gonna say it one last time. Cancel the account.

AOL: Well explain to me what's, why...

VINCENT: I'm not explaining anything to you. Cancel the account.

AOL: Well, what's the matter man? We're just, I'm just trying to help here.

VINCENT: You're not helping me. You're helping me...

AOL: I am trying to help.

VINCENT: Helping... listen, I called to cancel the account. Helping me would be canceling the account. Please help me and cancel the account.

AOL: No, it wouldn't actually...

VINCENT: Cancel my account...

AOL: Turning off your account...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account...

AOL: ...would be the worst thing that...

VINCENT: ...cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:02

AOL: Okay, cause I'm just trying to figure out...

VINCENT: Cancel the account. I don't know how to make this any clearer for you. Cancel the account. When I say cancel the account, I don't mean help me figure out how to keep it, I mean cancel the account.

AOL: Well, I'm sorry, I don't know what anybody's done to you Vincent because all I'm...

VINCENT: Will you please cancel the account.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:32

AOL: Alright, some day when you calmed down you're gonna realize that all I was trying to do was help you... and it was actually in your best interest to listen to me.

VINCENT: Wonderful, Okay.

CLOCK READOUT - 03:39

"I've never ever experienced anything like that," Ferrari told CNBC.

He recounts how the AOL representative - as a last resort even asked if his dad was home.

"I think I could've put up with everything, but at the point when he asked to speak to my father, I came very close to losing it at that point," said the 30-year-old Ferrari.

Ferrari then posted the call online, and the response was tremendous.

AOL sent him an apology and said the customer service rep was no longer with the company.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-21-2006, 05:14 PM
duh.

pirate44
06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
someday when i find out how to do it without incriminting myself, i'll tell yall how i got the best of AOL about 6 years ago ;)

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 05:20 PM
He never should have gotten AOL in the first place.

pirate4state
06-21-2006, 06:22 PM
:flamingma :flamingma That stirred up unpleasant memories!!! :foul: :foul: STUPID AOL!!!!

Cameron Crazy
06-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Has anyone ever had problems with them? Except him of course:thinking:

SintonFan
06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Try to ask A-hole-l for a manual remove of their software on your computer and see what happens. They won't do it even though they are supposed to as required by law.

Cameron Crazy
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
lol...

luvhoops34
06-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I hate AOL!

They did the same thing to me when I tried to cancel my account. Ask me every question under the sun. They told me they would quit taking the pmt out of my checking acct and never did. I finally had to sic my bank on them and wellsfargo reimbursed me for about three months of bogus charges. The wells fargo guy told me that they had tons of complaints about aol.

Another time, I had paid to have something extra on aim messenger. Can't even remember what it was, only it didn't work correctly, so I called them to cancel it. They gave me another had time and I had to resort to making several phone calls.

Aol is nothing but a bunch of crooks. And everytime I get a chance, I tell people NOT to use them.

Fal44
06-22-2006, 02:10 AM
I remember when i first got my computer, i signed up for AOL for the free 90 days after like 2 weeks i tried to cancel it they told me they already did so i was like kool then like 3 months later my dad was like why am i paying for Internet and so is ur Mom so i had to call them again and cancel they wanted to talk to my parents i just told them well if i cant cancel it they why can i sign up for it finally they canceled it AOL is the worst.

DU_stud04
06-22-2006, 03:36 AM
they wouldnt let my mom cancel and kept giving us free service for a year...then i moved and they tried the same thing but i was the only one to get online, and that was for homework so they didnt need it atall,......she started getting mad and then went to spanish mode on their butts.....he gladly canceled when she did that. :D

DU_stud04
06-22-2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Has anyone ever had problems with them? Except him of course:thinking:

everyone has problems with them, overpriced, terrible service and bullcrap like that. im just happy with my T-3 service:D

spiveyrat
06-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Here's a link to a page with a audio excerpts of the call.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13447232/

Audio in it's entirety...

http://www.break.com/index/aolhell.html

STANG RED
06-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I had almost that same conversation with those morons a couple of years ago, and have heard the same from lots of other folks.
I dont think I have ever heard anything good about AOL, except for the propoganda that AOL themselves puts out.

AP Panther Fan
06-22-2006, 08:47 AM
I truly dislike AOL. They did the exact same thing to me when I tried to cancel only worse! I went through the 50 questions and then when I was standing my ground on discontinuing service, AMAZINGLY ENOUGH, THE PHONE LINE WENT DEAD. The a$$h0#@ hung up on me and I had to start all over by calling back!:mad:

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I truly dislike AOL. They did the exact same thing to me when I tried to cancel only worse! I went through the 50 questions and then when I was standing my ground on discontinuing service, AMAZINGLY ENOUGH, THE PHONE LINE WENT DEAD. The a$$h0#@ hung up on me and I had to start all over by calling back!:mad: :eek: Sounds like they have them brainwashed at new hire orientation on how to drive someone insane if they try to cancel!!! I'm really surprised some wack job hasn't gone postal on them!!!

AP Panther Fan
06-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: Sounds like they have them brainwashed at new hire orientation on how to drive someone insane if they try to cancel!!! I'm really surprised some wack job hasn't gone postal on them!!!

If there office would have been in Aransas Pass, it could have been me! You might only be corresponding with me by mail or an occasional weekly visitation. :D

STANG RED
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: Sounds like they have them brainwashed at new hire orientation on how to drive someone insane if they try to cancel!!! I'm really surprised some wack job hasn't gone postal on them!!!

I would have, the day I called them. But what was I going to do? Shoot the phone? Shoot the computer maybe? Somedays I feel like doing both anyway. Someday I probably will.

pirate4state
06-22-2006, 08:55 AM
If there office would have been in Aransas Pass, it could have been me! You might only be corresponding with me by mail or an occasional weekly visitation. :D LOL!! :clap: :D

AP Panther Fan
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I would have, the day I called them. But what was I going to do? Shoot the phone? Shoot the computer maybe? Somedays I feel like doing both anyway. Someday I probably will.

LOL....go for it!~

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

STANG RED
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
LOL....go for it!~

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Dont temp me!
This is quickly turning into one of those days.:hairpunk:

AP Panther Fan
06-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Dont temp me!
This is quickly turning into one of those days.:hairpunk:

Awwww, hope it gets better!

Why don't we all call AOL and try to disconnect someone else's service...that might be fun.:D