PDA

View Full Version : You Stay Classy Ozzie Guillen

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't like Guillen as a player when I was growing up...and I like him even less now that he is a manager and gets even more face time.

On Tuesday to reporters, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen referred to Chicago Sun-Times columnist and Around the Horn contributor Jay Mariotti as a derogatory name for a homosexual.

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti with columns of the past, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game with the Cardinals, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] fag."

Mariotti was covering the NBA Finals Tuesday night and was not present to hear what Guillen said.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "fag" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Scott Reifert, the White Sox's vice president of communications, offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.

Maroon87
06-21-2006, 02:29 PM
It's stuff like this that really made losing to the Sox in the Series even worse. Zero class.

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

fag! :rolleyes: ;) :p

RiverRat19
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
He acts like a fool so much you wonder if it is all just an act. He's also a world champion until a new one is crowned but he still behaves like a fool....

3afan
06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
plans to attend the gay games? yeah right ....

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-21-2006, 05:24 PM
as much as i wish more professional players had sports...WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS. so what if he used a slur. its his opinion. if they didnt like it, they shouldnt have run it. i hate these damned controversies. its America for crying outloud, everyone is free, do what you like just dont involve those who dont wanna be involved. and i didnt read the article, im not gonna. but i dont think he pointed to one person specifically. so where does the problem lie? i think i saw something about the remark bing a "homophobic" remark in a news paper? if thats the case he has just as much of aright to feel the way he does as some one who is afraid of a spider or snake, or a terrorist group. does he not? people who are afriad of those other things in the past have said their piece about them, nothing was done, why is he not allowed to EXPRESS HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS?

big daddy russ
06-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Guillen also told Couch that he... attends WNBA games.
ROFLMAO. That is wrong in so many ways. Funny, but wrong.

Matthew328
06-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing about the WNBA thing..

honestly who cares...I actually think its amusing...

JasperDog94
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm not condoning what he said, but why is it that if you think homosexuality is wrong, you are classified as "homophobic"?

big daddy russ
06-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm not condoning what he said, but why is it that if you think homosexuality is wrong, you are classified as "homophobic"?
Nope. It literally means "fear of homosexuals," and last I checked, "homophobic" still gets thrown around too much.

DaHop72
06-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Wow, what a commisioner baseball has in Mr. selig. No suspension for this, only a fine and going to sensitivity classes. But suspended for having his pitcher throw at a batter in retaliation. I guess the Oz can do whatever he wants and not be treated like Rocker was for something similar.

GreenMonster
06-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Wow, what a commisioner baseball has in Mr. selig. No suspension for this, only a fine and going to sensitivity classes. But suspended for having his pitcher throw at a batter in retaliation. I guess the Oz can do whatever he wants and not be treated like Rocker was for something similar.

Honestly Hop, I think that Guillen's actions in Texas with his pitcher are far worse than his comments about this reporter. We all know that the press twists words and spread lies on occasion to sell papers. No big deal. The writer guy should blow it off and go on. MLB should have given Ozzie a very long suspension for not only condoning, but demanding that a player on the opposing team be hit with a pitch. Guillen should have known better than to blow up on that kid in public. It's one thing for teams to "take care of their own" and it's an entirely different thing when the Manager of said team advertises publicly that things like this still occur. Baseball spent years trying to clean up it's image and "beanballs" have been kept swept under the rug for quite some time now. MLB suspends pitchers caught throwing at hitters and the same should be done for Managers caught ordering up a beaning. I've only ever been involved in one fist fight regarding a baseball game. It was with an opposing summer league coach for screaming at his pitcher from the dugout
that he was going to run him until he dropped if he didn't hit the batter with the next pitch. It's bush league to pull crap like that. If you want a player hit with a pitch you do it quietly, VERY quietly, or you pay the consequences. He should have been fined heavily and suspended for at least 10 games.

PPHSfan
06-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Who cares if anyone offends a bunch of fags.:D

SpreadtheRed
06-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Well said. who cares about fags?...They should be executed. Guillen is right to say what he said. All Mariotti does is jaw on ESPN and needs to support his hometown team's coach...Jay Mariotti is a dousche

District303aPastPlayer
06-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
Well said. who cares about fags?...They should be executed. Guillen is right to say what he said. All Mariotti does is jaw on ESPN and needs to support his hometown team's coach...Jay Mariotti is a dousche

ummm dumba--... in case you didnt know, Mariotti does support the cubs... i believe... and is also pretty supportive of the bulls too... so yeah... most hatred is brought out by fear... so that tells me alot about everything you just said :)

Adidas410s
06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Mariotti's problems is with Jerry Reinsdorf. He has always felt that he is a very poor owner and has never been a fan of his.

DaHop72
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Honestly Hop, I think that Guillen's actions in Texas with his pitcher are far worse than his comments about this reporter. We all know that the press twists words and spread lies on occasion to sell papers. No big deal. The writer guy should blow it off and go on. MLB should have given Ozzie a very long suspension for not only condoning, but demanding that a player on the opposing team be hit with a pitch. Guillen should have known better than to blow up on that kid in public. It's one thing for teams to "take care of their own" and it's an entirely different thing when the Manager of said team advertises publicly that things like this still occur. Baseball spent years trying to clean up it's image and "beanballs" have been kept swept under the rug for quite some time now. MLB suspends pitchers caught throwing at hitters and the same should be done for Managers caught ordering up a beaning. I've only ever been involved in one fist fight regarding a baseball game. It was with an opposing summer league coach for screaming at his pitcher from the dugout
that he was going to run him until he dropped if he didn't hit the batter with the next pitch. It's bush league to pull crap like that. If you want a player hit with a pitch you do it quietly, VERY quietly, or you pay the consequences. He should have been fined heavily and suspended for at least 10 games.
I agree GM that you should not be throwing at a hitter ( a brushback with a purpose is for another day) with the intent to injure, but what I'm saying is why is one loose cannon not punished the same way as the other. I personally think selig is a loser as a commisioner and should be replaced.

JasperDog94
06-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I personally think selig is a loser as a commisioner and should be replaced. I don't think that you will get many arguements about that around here. His legacy will be "the steroid era".

CHS_CG
06-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
Well said. who cares about fags?...They should be executed.

glad you feel like that.. we can start with you

Maroon87
06-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
glad you feel like that.. we can start with you

Yikes!:eek:

CHS_CG
06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/grinser/grinning-smiley-026.gif

SintonFan
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
I personally think selig is a loser as a commisioner and should be replaced.
Well said. Rumors abound that George W, after his Presidency will become the new commish. Plans are in the works for the New York Yankess, Chicago White Sox and Texas Rangers to invade Toronto...;)

Blastoderm55
06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Well said. Rumors abound that George W, after his Presidency will become the new commish. Plans are in the works for the New York Yankess, Chicago White Sox and Texas Rangers to invade Toronto...;)

Selig already stole the Expos from the French. :D
Dubya would try to bring the Bluejays to San Antonio but would end up giving Nova Scotia an expansion team. :rolleyes: