PDA

View Full Version : sweetwater mustangs

mustang04
11-05-2002, 11:13 PM
we are starting to pull together asa team and are now rackin up the victories...just curious, does anybody else think we are under-rated?? i mean we might not be statistically, but i wanna know ppl's opinions about us? and carillo is not all we have, hes one of our many talents, like josh jackson, jack squires, randyn tenery, these players do good too, and our defense is pretty awesome, but what do u think....GO STANGS!

vet93
11-06-2002, 12:25 AM
I think that you guys have a great team. I picked Sweetwater to win the region back in July. Your biggest enemy it seems is yourselves. If you guys are mentally into the game and play a consistent four quarters then you can beat just about anybody in the region on a given night. If you head is not in the game and you are up and down throughout the playoffs then you can be beat. Of course this goes for just about any team. Good luck in the playoffs!

mustang04:
we are starting to pull together asa team and are now rackin up the victories...just curious, does anybody else think we are under-rated?? i mean we might not be statistically, but i wanna know ppl's opinions about us? and carillo is not all we have, hes one of our many talents, like josh jackson, jack squires, randyn tenery, these players do good too, and our defense is pretty awesome, but what do u think....GO STANGS!

Ranger Mom
11-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Underrated???? - Uh.....Yeah!!!!

Why do you think I have been so worried about getting the stangs the first round????

Been there, done that, not ready to do it again anytime soon.

Good Luck!!

heck
11-06-2002, 02:15 PM
If you look at all the games Sweetwater has played and analyze them I think you will find that they have been a lot more consistent than a lot of folks that haven't seen them play think. They have lost three games: Graham at Graham by 5 pts, Greenwood at Greenwood by 6 pts and Snyder at Snyder by 6 in over time. Graham was clearly playing better ball than the Mustangs at the time but the other two games were not only winnable but for a bad punt snap at Greenwood just before half and the most pathetic coaching job I have ever witnessed (go ahead flame away) at Snyder (17-0 in the second quarter), Sweetwater would be 8-1 now.

But with three teams going to the playoffs, there isn't nearly as much emphasis on winning district as making a good playoff run and I think the Mustangs can do that. I have them projected to meet Monahans (at Monahans) first round, Perryton second round and Decatur then Kennedale. For what it worth.

vet93
11-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Heck...you certainly have been to the games and I have not. I have only gleened my information from what people have written in the newspapers and internet. It was my impression that there were some games where the mustangs lacked consistency(the Snyder game being one of them). Having said all of that, they still played a brutal schedule and deserve alot of credit for not running from good competition. This will only help them in the long run. For what it is worth, in my preseason picks I picked Sweetwater and Kennedale to meet in the regional championship game and for Sweetwater to win. I hope that it does come to pass then you can call me vetnostradamus93 :D

heck
11-06-2002, 04:33 PM
I guess consistency for 10-11 weeks or more is a problem for most teams. But if you look at total offense and defense I think the Mustangs have pretty impressive numbers. A lot of folks may not know but the defense has been real impressive. If you look at the Snyder game, the stats were very much in Sweetwaters favor (not to mention Denver City, Lamesa and Merkel). Like I said, poor play calling cost the Stangs the Snyder game...not just my opinion either.

Offensively, Sweetwater has three ligitimate running threats now. The passing game is their weakness. Not that they can't throw but the coaching philosophy is to keep it on the ground. This is fine until you get to the tougher teams and then a more balanced attach is needed. But a tough schedule should help them during the playoff run. They should also be pretty dang good next year too!

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Wtx_coach
11-06-2002, 06:16 PM
heck:
If you look at all the games Sweetwater has played and analyze them I think you will find that they have been a lot more consistent than a lot of folks that haven't seen them play think. They have lost three games: Graham at Graham by 5 pts, Greenwood at Greenwood by 6 pts and Snyder at Snyder by 6 in over time. Graham was clearly playing better ball than the Mustangs at the time but the other two games were not only winnable but for a bad punt snap at Greenwood just before half and the most pathetic coaching job I have ever witnessed (go ahead flame away) at Snyder (17-0 in the second quarter), Sweetwater would be 8-1 now.

But with three teams going to the playoffs, there isn't nearly as much emphasis on winning district as making a good playoff run and I think the Mustangs can do that. I have them projected to meet Monahans (at Monahans) first round, Perryton second round and Decatur then Kennedale. For what it worth.Hey Heck is sweetwater playing Monahans in Monahans, I guess they flipped home for home, well do you know what day this game is going to be on friday or saturday, let me know something ok

wildstangs
11-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Woo hoo, another Sweetwater fan. I think we are really getting it together now. The three losses were heartbreakers. We could easily be undefeated right now. I think we should have no trouble winning a few playoff games! Go Stangs!

mustang04
11-06-2002, 10:11 PM
thanx.....yeah graham we shoulda won i think honestly, but that was our first outta towner and everybody's fallible when it comes to those first few games, but after losses, u begin to critque, which is exactly what we're doing.....and to WTX COACH....we are playing monahans on nov. the 15th, im pretty sure there, we tried gettin to play them in midland but i dont think it worked that way, again, i have respect for every team that makes it to the play-offs and i just hope that we work hard enough to actually earn or deserve that 6th week, but good luck to all

heck
11-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Wtx Coach. I hear we are playing in Monahans if that is who winds up getting in. I think there may be a scenario where we could play someone else but not likely. We tried to get Midland's new stadium but it was booked. We won't play on Saturday (coaches preference) so look for us to be out your way on Friday night, Nov. 15.

pero chato
11-07-2002, 11:52 AM
I think Sweetwater will go deep in the playoffs this year. When they played us (Wylie) they looked very good. If they could keep the same level of intensity, they will make it to the Kennedale game. I'm a big Carillo fan, but never thought that he was all Sweetwater had, although he would be enough for most teams. Squires has stepped it up this year and is contributing a lot to the offense. The defense is underrated and is getting the job done. I was surprised at the Snyder loss, but Snyder appears to be peaking as well. Good luck Mustangs!

shackina
11-07-2002, 10:18 PM
The Snyder - Sweetwater game was a great game. Snyder isn't getting enough credit for that win. I know the Sweetwater coach made a dumb call, but Snyder had great intensity to come back from a 0-17 defecit in the 2nd quarter. Both these teams are really talented, and in my opinion, are both well coached. Snyder is peaking at the right time, I think those first 3 games gave them a wake up call and it may have helped them in the big game with Sweetwater because they didnt want to be in the losing locker room again. Im looking forward to Sweetwater's and Snyder's playoff runs. Even though it looks like Snyder may end up playing Everman third round.

wildstangs
11-07-2002, 11:23 PM
shackina:
The Snyder - Sweetwater game was a great game. Snyder isn't getting enough credit for that win. I know the Sweetwater coach made a dumb call, but Snyder had great intensity to come back from a 0-17 defecit in the 2nd quarter. Both these teams are really talented, and in my opinion, are both well coached. Snyder is peaking at the right time, I think those first 3 games gave them a wake up call and it may have helped them in the big game with Sweetwater because they didnt want to be in the losing locker room again. Im looking forward to Sweetwater's and Snyder's playoff runs. Even though it looks like Snyder may end up playing Everman third round.Ick, glad we dont have to run into Everman. I remember you guys ran into them a few years ago. Best of luck to the Tigers.