PDA

View Full Version : Wylie Coach Assualts Ref (Article)

Matthew328
06-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Guess who got a cameo??

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/14867588.htm

44INAROW
06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Can we still call you Matt or do we need to refer to you as Mr Stepp? :D :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt Stepp, a staff writer for TexasPrepXtra.com, was at the game Saturday and saw the end of the fight.

"I saw people running and I thought originally it was two players who were fighting," he said. "Then I saw the others pull the two apart and the ref had blood under his nose. It was no good. It was crazy."

Phillips said he couldn't remember the man before he attacked him, but Stepp said people at the game had noticed the two were exchanging words back and forth during the game.

The two men "were a little frustrated," he said.

eagles_victory
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
that is awesome well not the punching part but you getting in there

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/new_thewave.gif

Matthew328
06-21-2006, 07:52 PM
LOL

Cameron Crazy
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
That have bad attitudes in Abeline!

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I thought it was person from the 5a town Wylie, not 3a Abeline Wylie.

pero chato
06-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
That have bad attitudes in Abeline!

Well, first of all it's spelled Abilene, and yes we sometimes have bad attitudes, but no, it was the 5A Wylie near Dallas who assaulted the ref.

Haunta Yo
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
The lnik is wokring now:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/14867588.htm

Referee says he is puzzled about being struck
By BEN TINSLEY
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

GRAPEVINE -- With scrapes on his face and lingering questions, Culley Phillips said Tuesday that he doesn't understand why a man attacked him Saturday as he refereed a seven-on-seven state qualifying tournament football game for high school players at Grapevine High School.

"I have never been physically assaulted before on a football field," the Arlington mortgage banker said. "I was totally shocked. My lip is sore, but other than that I'm fine. I'd never seen the man before in my life, and I really don't know if I could pick him out of two people right now if I had to."

Phillips was punched during the second half of a game between Lewisville Hebron and Wylie after he made a judgment call on a play. Grapevine police said the man who punched Phillips may be a coach for the Wylie team but did not release his name. They said the man is 47 and lives in Wylie, in Collin County.

Police expect to arrest the man today or tomorrow, Grapevine police Sgt. Bob Murphy said. According to TexasPrepXtra.com, a Web site that reports on seven-on-seven football in Texas, the game was stopped with Hebron ahead 33-18. Wylie had to forfeit the game and a final game against Flower Mound Marcus because of the fight.

The name of the man who police suspect hit Phillips will be released as soon as he is arrested, Murphy said.

Phillips has spent 30 years as a referee for the Texas Association of Sports Officials. He said he intends to referee a game Saturday at Bowie High School at Arlington.

Phillips said the man approached him during the game and said they would "speak to each other after the game," to which Phillips said he responded, "Talk now."

"Apparently what he meant by 'talking' was popping me. I was totally shocked. I was in the field and he shoved me in the chest and hit me with his right fist."

He called the attack "a sucker punch."

Phillips said the incident hasn't changed his zeal for refereeing.

"One time in 30 years isn't that much of a problem," he said.

Matt Stepp, a staff writer for TexasPrepXtra.com, was at the game Saturday and saw the end of the fight.

"I saw people running and I thought originally it was two players who were fighting," he said. "Then I saw the others pull the two apart and the ref had blood under his nose. It was no good. It was crazy."

Phillips said he couldn't remember the man before he attacked him, but Stepp said people at the game had noticed the two were exchanging words back and forth during the game.

The two men "were a little frustrated," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kaorder1999
06-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Stepp big time now.....

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes Stepp--You are famous!