PDA

View Full Version : Title staying in San Antonio, kinda...

Gobbla2001
06-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Has for 7 out of the last 8 years...

'99 - Spurs win
'00 - Shaq wins
'01 - Shaq wins
'02 - Shaq wins
'03 - Spurs win
'04 - Detroit
'05 - Spurs win
'06 - Shaq wins...

Shaq of course a graduate of San Antonio Cole High School...

Maroon87
06-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Sean Elliott played for the Pistons for a season. Does that count?:D

RiverRat19
06-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah... but O'Neil hasn't ever been too public about recognizing his roots in HS. Maybe he had a bad experience or whatever but I don't ever remember hearing about him returning to Cole to visit or giving props to his HS coaches. Not saying it hasn't happened but it seems that Shaq has "bigger and better" things on his mind than his roots in SA. That's my $.02 on Shaq.

AggieJohn
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
when you play that many teams it's hard to give credit to all those people

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RiverRat19
Yeah... but O'Neil hasn't ever been too public about recognizing his roots in HS. Maybe he had a bad experience or whatever but I don't ever remember hearing about him returning to Cole to visit or giving props to his HS coaches. Not saying it hasn't happened but it seems that Shaq has "bigger and better" things on his mind than his roots in SA. That's my $.02 on Shaq.

You have to realize Shaq was a military brat he was born in NJ, lived in Germany among other places. So he really has no roots anywhere. Growing up wth a few army brats I can understand him not going back and all. I remember my best friend saying once after his 7th move, Every town and school is the same, and it was hard for him to connect with any of them

super1
06-21-2006, 08:03 PM
A couple of years ago, he bought new uni's and shoes for the Cole boys and girls basketball teams at Cole. Not too shabby, I'd say.

He stays in contact with Coach Herb Moore, who was an assistant when Shaq was in HS but who is now the Head Boys coach at Cole.

maroogreen
06-21-2006, 10:46 PM
I have also heard that he maintains a close relationship with one of his coaches from Cole and that he has flown him out to a number of his NBA games.

RiverRat19
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Like I had said, I never heard of him having any kind of relationship with anyone at Cole since he's made the big time. I'm not saying it never happened but its not something that I've heard much about. I hope he does help them out and visit when he can. Good for him if so!

As far as being an army brat, I get that. My dad was an army brat (born at Fort Sam in SA, lived in TX, MO, MA, Japan before he went to HS) but he still considers his time in HS in Annapolis MD as some of the best times ever and his FB coach (Coach Larramore @ Annapolis High, God Bless is soul) as "his coach". He also said growing up, no matter where Uncle Sam sent them, he always considered himself a Texan because he was born here and my grandparents and his family were from here. I guess it's just personal experience that makes the difference.

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by super1
A couple of years ago, he bought new uni's and shoes for the Cole boys and girls basketball teams at Cole. Not too shabby, I'd say.

He stays in contact with Coach Herb Moore, who was an assistant when Shaq was in HS but who is now the Head Boys coach at Cole.

they did a special on this a while back on ESPN i think...

Maroon87
06-22-2006, 12:10 AM
When I was in college at Texas A&I (now Texas A&M-Kingsville) I saw him play for Cole vs. West Oso in the Region IV-3A tourney. To say he was a man among boys is an understatement.:eek:

DU_stud04
06-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Sean Elliott played for the Pistons for a season. Does that count?:D

sounds good enough for me.....but, if dallas did win, since avery did play for the spurs, would that have counted as a spurs victory also???? haha