PDA

View Full Version : Will the Heat Repeat?

Phil C
06-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Now that Heat fans have had time to celebrate let's look toward next year. What do you think Miami's chances are next year. I think excellent because they got Wade and Shaq and a top coach. The only thing is I look for is the Heat to have to put up some money to keep Wade in the future because some other teams (especially the Lakers) are going to go after him is my thought. But for right now they have an excellent chance. Wade is becoming the next MJ and Shaq still has a few great years left.

kaorder1999
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
you never know with Riley....I could picture him retiring after this one!

Who knows

pirate44
06-21-2006, 09:28 AM
maybe, but then again, maybe not ;)

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Wade wouldn't end up with the Lakers. They don't need two superstars to play shooting guard. If he was to leave, which I find highly unlikely, I would think the most logical places for him to land would be the LA Clippers, Houston (say bye bye to T-Mac maybe???), the Knicks (they do have the $$$), and maybe even Chicago or Milwaukee.

Just trying to think of teams that will have a big man but need somebody at the guard position to provide a solid 1-2 punch.

thewyliefan
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
i'd like to see dwade playing for the bulls

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wade wouldn't end up with the Lakers. They don't need two superstars to play shooting guard. If he was to leave, which I find highly unlikely, I would think the most logical places for him to land would be the LA Clippers, Houston (say bye bye to T-Mac maybe???), the Knicks (they do have the $$$), and maybe even Chicago or Milwaukee.

Just trying to think of teams that will have a big man but need somebody at the guard position to provide a solid 1-2 punch.

honestly, arent the knicks like very close to hitting the salary cap with about 4-7 guys taking up 85% or something of the room? they have guys locked up for years with HUGE contracts that no one will pick up. Now putting wade with the bulls, that would be exciting :)

AggieJohn
06-21-2006, 10:08 AM
no

PPHSfan
06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Shaq guaranteed it.

And when a Texan makes a guarantee....

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Shaq guaranteed it.

And when a Texan makes a guarantee....

he's a transplanted Texan... yeah he went to SA Cole... but he didnt grow up there... :p

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Only way Heat can win is if shaq performs. Dwade is great but they don't win it without Shaq.

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Only way Heat can win is if shaq performs. Dwade is great but they don't win it without Shaq.

They don't need Shaq. Look at the numbers...as the season went on and into the playoffs...his production kept decreasing. The NBA Finals finalized the transition of Dwyane Wade to NBA Superstar and Shaq to NBA Superstar/Role Player/Spokesperson.

Shaq's Stats
Finals
PPG - 13
RPG - 10
BPG - under 1
FG% - 60%
FT% - 29%

Playoffs
PPG - 18.5
RPG - 10
BPG - 1.5
FG% - 62%
FT% - 38%

Regular Season
PPG - 20
RPG - 9
BPG - 2
FG% - 60%
FT% - 47%

Career
PPG - 26
RPG - 12
BPG - 2.5
FG% - 58%
FT% - 53%

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
If shaq had been injured at the start of the playoffs, there is no way the heat would of made it to the finals, let alone win it.

Phil C
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
honestly, arent the knicks like very close to hitting the salary cap with about 4-7 guys taking up 85% or something of the room? they have guys locked up for years with HUGE contracts that no one will pick up. Now putting wade with the bulls, that would be exciting :)

There is no salary cap in NBA basketball.

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

yes there is, there is no cap in MLB

Phil C
06-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
yes there is, there is no cap in MLB

Oops! That is right. :(

3afan
06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

yes there is Phil - although its not a hard cap and there are many legal loopholes & exceptions

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes there is Phil - although its not a hard cap and there are many legal loopholes & exceptions

It's the worst salary "cap" structure of any pro sport. Heck...I would rather have baseball's "luxury tax" that is ineffective but simple to understand than the mess that the NBA has. They ensure that a team like the Knicks will be down for 5-10 years as they have to pay out all of this guaranteed money to crappy players. I wonder if a sports team could file for bankruptcy and get out of their contracts?

JHS_c/o_06'
06-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Nope...cause the spurs will win it all next year. And i'll be living in san antonio.....so bring it on baby.

Maroon87
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd be inclined to say no. Yes, they have D Wade, but Mourning, Shaq, and Payton are well past their primes. I can see Riley looking to get out soon, kinda sail into the sunset so to speak. I was impressed with Posey and Haslem but they're not gonna provide much scoring.

Keep an eye on Sacramento next year. They're gonna be tough. I'm not saying they'll win it all, but they'll be a high seed in the West IMO.

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'd be inclined to say no. Yes, they have D Wade, but Mourning, Shaq, and Payton are well past their primes. I can see Riley looking to get out soon, kinda sail into the sunset so to speak. I was impressed with Posey and Haslem but they're not gonna provide much scoring.

Keep an eye on Sacramento next year. They're gonna be tough. I'm not saying they'll win it all, but they'll be a high seed in the West IMO.

i cant believe i will say this, but look out for the clippers

pirate4state
:cheerl: GO CELTICS! :cheerl:

:thumbsup:

Emerson1
Pheonix isn't gonna be any good.

big daddy russ
06-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

It just depends on who has the cap money available. The Knicks have the pocket money to make it happen, but aren't under the cap enough to make a serious offer to any high-profile players. Under the current CBA, any team that is over the cap can only offer a mid-level exception (I think it's still just under $5 million a year) to a free agent, and they only get one mid-level exception every two years. The Heat could do a sign-and-trade with the Knicks, but NY has so many outrageous contracts it's tough to see Miami going for any package they could put together.

The Clipps only have three players under contract past 06-07 (Corey Maggette and Elton Brand each have three years left, Cuttino Mobley has four) and have great location on their side, so they're a legit threat to pick up his services. Milwaukee already has a ton of room and could have more if they decide not resign either Joe Smith after next season. Could you imagine a starting lineup of TJ Ford, Dwayne Wade, Michael Redd, Jamaal Magloire and Andrew Bogut?

Toronto also has tons of money coming off their cap each of the next two years, and the only player they're guaranteed to resign would be Chris Bosh. One last team that should be in the running (this surprised the hell out of me) will be Memphis. The only 'big contract' they have is a good one: Pau Gasol at about $10 million for the next five years. Lorenzen Wright's $8 mil contract expires in a couple of weeks and Eddie Jones' $15 mil-per-year contract comes off the books at the end of '07. Shane Battier, Mike Miller, and Damon Stoudemire are all locked up for no less than three more years, so they have a great foundation to offer D-Wade.

1. Clipps
2. Memphis
3. Milwaukee
4. Toronto

DU_stud04
06-22-2006, 04:37 AM
they wont repeat,...i say next year will either be the la koby's or sa-town spurs:D