PDA

View Full Version : For Shame to the Mavs fans at the game last night!

Phil C
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
When the Heat were awarded the trophy for being the NBA champions there were not cheers or congratulations from the stands except by a few Heat Fans. In fact when the NBA commissioner was presenting the award I overheard some booing even though ABC tried to drown them out with their placement of microphones. This was not like last year when the Spurs won it in Game 7. Come on Dallas! Show good sportsmanship. Shame for Shame! :mad:

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't expect to hear fans of the opposite team cheering and celebrating by any means. I highly doubt you were celebrating when the UT Softball team lost to UCLA this year. However, I was upset to hear a local radio personality say "heck no I wasn't staying after the game last night to congratulate the enemy. I was mad at them for beating us." I e-mailed him this morning to say, "First off...they aren't the enemy. Also, you don't have to cheer for them but a show of respect goes a long way. It's part of being a classy fan to show respect for those who have been victorious through fair play and hard work."

Just my thoughts...

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 09:12 AM
one other thing Phil...but didn't San Antonio win the title on their home court last year? I bet if they had won it in Detroit the crowd wouldn't have been as receptive to them winning it!

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Here is the e-mail that I sent to the radio personality this morning...

I wanted to write you in response to your comments regarding the post-game festivities after the Mavericks lost last night. Let me preface this by saying that like you and many others, I have attended as many playoff games as possible to support our team and have enjoyed the thrill of the past two months. However, where I believe you and I differ is in our view of how to react once the Mavs had lost to the Heat. While obviously I wasn’t expecting to see a lot of fans stay around and cheer on the Heat, I was surprised to 1) see so many people leave and 2) hear people booing the Heat. You stated this morning that you wouldn’t cheer on the enemy. First off, we must put a sporting event into proper perspective. The Miami Heat were not our enemy, they were our opponent. Our team was in direct competition with them for a common prize, the NBA Championship. Miami competed in a fair manner on the court and did not use dirty, unethical play to earn their championship. They competed at the highest level and on the biggest stage in their sport and they came out on top. Is that something that you should have to celebrate? No. It is something that should be respected? Yes I think it is. I can understand your frustration, if any, as well as the disappointment that comes with the Mavericks losing after being so close. I felt those same feelings walking out of the AAC last night. However, I think it would have been a very classy gesture by all Mavericks fans had more of us stayed to watch the presentation and offer mild applause to recognize the accomplishments of the Miami Heat. I didn’t say we had to celebrate and be happy. However, given the impressions that many outside of Dallas have about the Mavericks and our owner, fans, etc., I think showing a touch of class would have made a profound statement about the type of fans and organization that we have in Dallas.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-21-2006, 09:31 AM
The camera did show Mark Cuban on the floor soon after the game and it did look like he was clapping in a congratulatory manner towards the Heat. Thought that was pretty cool.

JHS_c/o_06'
06-21-2006, 09:32 AM
even Cuban clapped for them...or maybe it was for dallas......but regardless...he showed some class

DaHop72
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Here is the e-mail that I sent to the radio personality this morning...

I wanted to write you in response to your comments regarding the post-game festivities after the Mavericks lost last night. Let me preface this by saying that like you and many others, I have attended as many playoff games as possible to support our team and have enjoyed the thrill of the past two months. However, where I believe you and I differ is in our view of how to react once the Mavs had lost to the Heat. While obviously I wasn’t expecting to see a lot of fans stay around and cheer on the Heat, I was surprised to 1) see so many people leave and 2) hear people booing the Heat. You stated this morning that you wouldn’t cheer on the enemy. First off, we must put a sporting event into proper perspective. The Miami Heat were not our enemy, they were our opponent. Our team was in direct competition with them for a common prize, the NBA Championship. Miami competed in a fair manner on the court and did not use dirty, unethical play to earn their championship. They competed at the highest level and on the biggest stage in their sport and they came out on top. Is that something that you should have to celebrate? No. It is something that should be respected? Yes I think it is. I can understand your frustration, if any, as well as the disappointment that comes with the Mavericks losing after being so close. I felt those same feelings walking out of the AAC last night. However, I think it would have been a very classy gesture by all Mavericks fans had more of us stayed to watch the presentation and offer mild applause to recognize the accomplishments of the Miami Heat. I didn’t say we had to celebrate and be happy. However, given the impressions that many outside of Dallas have about the Mavericks and our owner, fans, etc., I think showing a touch of class would have made a profound statement about the type of fans and organization that we have in Dallas.
Well stated Adidas.:clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
The camera did show Mark Cuban on the floor soon after the game and it did look like he was clapping in a congratulatory manner towards the Heat. Thought that was pretty cool.

yeah I liked seeing that. I sure wish all of the fans would have done the same. You don't have to celebrate...but hang around for 2 or 3 minutes (you can't get out anyways) and show respect to the opponent for their great accomplishment.

Bulldog_12
06-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
even Cuban clapped for them...or maybe it was for dallas......but regardless...he showed some class

No, he was clapping menacingly in the general direction of David Stern and officials. :D

Rabbit'93
06-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Cuban helped perpetuate the booing last night. His actions since becoming owner of the have carried over to the fans. I don't think the fans were booing the Heat, I think they were booing Stern. IMO Stern hasn't done enough to to curtail the poor officiating in the NBA. It's there, everyone sees it, from fans, coaches, & media. Cuban has gone about changing the ref situation the wrong way.

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
No, he was clapping menacingly in the general direction of David Stern and officials. :D

I thought I saw him do this...

DISCLAIMER: The following link will show you a picture of somewhat questionable conduct by the beloved owner of the Dallas Mavericks. If you or others around you aren't emotionally stable enough to handle this picture, then please be advised that it is against your best interests to click on this link.

Cuban Being Cuban (http://www.rutherfordfamily.net/Mark68262057093_3300_1-1.jpg)

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Cuban helped perpetuate the booing last night. His actions since becoming owner of the have carried over to the fans. I don't think the fans were booing the Heat, I think they were booing Stern. IMO Stern hasn't done enough to to curtail the poor officiating in the NBA. It's there, everyone sees it, from fans, coaches, & media. Cuban has gone about changing the ref situation the wrong way.

love him or hate him, you gotta love how he addresses things and then they change

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I thought I saw him do this...

DISCLAIMER: The following link will show you a picture of somewhat questionable conduct by the beloved owner of the Dallas Mavericks. If you or others around you aren't emotionally stable enough to handle this picture, then please be advised that it is against your best interests to click on this link.

Cuban Being Cuban (http://www.rutherfordfamily.net/Mark68262057093_3300_1-1.jpg)
So what is he doing, flicking off the fans?

KTJ
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

I disagree. Big time.

pirate44
06-21-2006, 12:03 PM
i think they should have cheered the champions in a sign of good sportsmanship (or good fansmenship:thinking: ). but getting beat like that had to have shocked the fans.

slpybear the bullfan
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Most of them were probably trying to hit the road... the game didn't even start until 8:20

Emerson1
06-21-2006, 11:38 PM
It was 9:20 for heat fans. Back in the WCF games started at 9:30 here.