PDA

View Full Version : Its time to clean out the no-posters

pirate44
06-20-2006, 03:23 PM
there are almost 400 3adownlow members who have zero posts. its time to tell em to post something or sayonara. i think this was done about a year and a half ago.

pirate4state
06-20-2006, 03:35 PM
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

CHS_CG
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
dang... somebody is puttin their foot down!

Fish's mom
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a plan to me

Boxcar Willie
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
There are some of us that like to read only. Dang I just
posted a reply.

pirate44
06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Boxcar Willie
posted a reply.
yes!!!:D

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 05:07 PM
posted a reply.

say hi.. not all of us bite...

Chief Woodman
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
not me!

piratebg
06-20-2006, 07:05 PM
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

pirate44
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!
YARRRRGH:mad:

injuredinmelee
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

I may use my teeth but I dont bite.

piratebg
06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
posted a reply.

Congrats on finally coming out of the closet Willie. Now if the rest of you people can't come out, IT'S THE PLANK FOR YOUR!!!

bjrod9
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
i like to read alot, i rarely post as all can see

piratebg
06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bjrod9
i like to read alot, i rarely post as all can see

True, but you have at least posted about 40 times since October. There are people who have been here longer than that and are still silent.

smustangs
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
i dont no y u waste the time to sign up if u r not going to post you can read and not be a member if im not mistaken

piratebg
06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
i dont no y u waste the time to sign up if u r not going to post you can read and not be a member if im not mistaken

AMEN :clap: :clap: :clap:

GIVE THEM THE AXE!!!

exbccards76'smom
06-20-2006, 10:42 PM

I may nibble a little bit!!!:D ::D

AggieJohn
06-21-2006, 07:06 AM
posted a reply. well get them to PM the mods....and tell them that they read only.....otherwise clean em out

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2006, 08:27 AM
You know some of these people who signed up, but only read may have signed up to show support for the Downlow.

They CHOSE to be a member, so they should be able to choose if they want to post or not.

pirate44
06-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You know some of these people who signed up, but only read may have signed up to show support for the Downlow.

They CHOSE to be a member, so they should be able to choose if they want to post or not.
thats cool, but the way they did it before i think, was to pm those inactive members. if no pm is returned, then out they go. im not for getting rid of people who log on, but what is wrong with getting rid of people who dont even log in?

Txbroadcaster
06-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree on those who do not come to site, I was talking about the ones who do come to site, but do not post.

mac77
06-21-2006, 09:14 AM
In the words of Teddie Roosevelt:

"It is better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!"

I post when I have something to say and read the rest of the time.

kaorder1999
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
why even delete any? what does that do?

Ranger Mom
06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
If they are still at "zero" post after a year or year and a half (can't remember which one), the system automatically deletes them.

That is why our number of members changes all the time!

People that want to read and and not ever post can still do so without signing up!

pirate44
06-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
why even delete any? what does that do?
its cleaning house. what's wrong with deleting the innactive ones? especially the ones who have never posted.

PPHSfan
06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
posted a reply.

That has got to be some kind of record. Waiting seven months to make your first post.

Cool.

44INAROW
06-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
That has got to be some kind of record. Waiting seven months to make your first post.

Cool.

Ain't no way I could stay quiet that long :D :D :D :D

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Ain't no way I could stay quiet that long :D :D :D :D

LOL...See, you are an OWCHI through and through... ;) :D

Phil C
06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I agree on those who do not come to site, I was talking about the ones who do come to site, but do not post.

But what if they send in donations?

Phil C
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

That alone should make them "keepers"...;)

Ranger Mom
06-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

That opens up a whole other can of worms.

I have had a couple of ROMMEES ask me if they could have their donation returned to them!!:D

District303aPastPlayer
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I have had a couple of ROMMEES ask me if they could have their donation returned to them!!:D

they do provide a great point...

pirate4state
06-21-2006, 10:33 AM

I have had a couple of ROMMEES ask me if they could have their donation returned to them!!:D Well they should have thought about that before they broke the rules! :D

Adidas410s
06-21-2006, 10:34 AM
they do provide a great point...

It does indeed. However, I would remind them that they were donating to the longevity of this board and it's ability to exist...not to their existance ON this board! If that was the case...well :rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM

Hilarious! I guess if I ever get ticked off at United Way, I should go back and request they refund all donations I have made to them over the years...:rolleyes:

If they won't listen to me, maybe I will ask the American Cancer Society...:thinking: :D

pirate44
06-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Hilarious! I guess if I ever get ticked off at United Way, I should go back and request they refund all donations I have made to them over the years...:rolleyes:

If they won't listen to me, maybe I will ask the American Cancer Society...:thinking: :D
haha..who ever heard of asking for a donation back?

Sweetwater Red
06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Speaking of donations...I'll make a donation to this board if
Matthew 328 ranks Sweetwater higher than both Snyder and
Wylie in his pre-season poll. Otherwise figgitaboutit :D

super1
06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Why does it bother you if someone choses not to post? Does it harm anyone? Are you worried about the bandwidth their name may take up on the list? I don't understand why it's a problem.

pirate44
06-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by super1
Why does it bother you if someone choses not to post? Does it harm anyone? Are you worried about the bandwidth their name may take up on the list? I don't understand why it's a problem.
ive already answered that in a previous post. why does it bother you so much to get rid of the extremely inactive "members". whats wrong with a little house cleaning?

super1
06-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
ive already answered that in a previous post. why does it bother you so much to get rid of the extremely inactive "members". whats wrong with a little house cleaning?

No, you didn't answer my question in a previous post. You just stated that they should be removed.
Does the board have to pay extra for every name that's on the list? Is there a penalty after the member list gets so big?

Just tell me what the downside is to leaving these non posters on the list? Seems kind of arbitrary to just cut them loose if they aren't hurting anyone.

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
No, you didn't answer my question in a previous post. You just stated that they should be removed.
Does the board have to pay extra for every name that's on the list? Is there a penalty after the member list gets so big?

Just tell me what the downside is to leaving these non posters on the list? Seems kind of arbitrary to just cut them loose if they aren't hurting anyone.

The system is set up to delete inactive posters after a set amount of time anyway....so it's really a moot point!

super1
06-22-2006, 07:37 PM
The system is set up to delete inactive posters after a set amount of time anyway....so it's really a moot point!

That makes sense. The creators of the system planned ahead for this contingency. Pretty smart. What I couldn't understand was why a member of the posting public wanted them to be deleted. What does it matter to them?

Thanks for the info RangerMom!

lostaussie
06-22-2006, 07:39 PM

I have had a couple of ROMMEES ask me if they could have their donation returned to them!!:D i would assume the answer was "negative, ghost rider"

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 07:42 PM
That makes sense. The creators of the system planned ahead for this contingency. Pretty smart. What I couldn't understand was why a member of the posting public wanted them to be deleted. What does it matter to them?

Who knows why certain things bug certain people.

I will admit that on some days, there may be 4 birthdays, and you can tell by the username and age that 3 of them are the same person. They probably forgot their password and signed up again under another name.

I don't know WHY it bugs me, but it does!!!:D

pirate44
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM

i assumed you got my point when i said the reason is just to clean out the list. you know, make it smaller. maybe its not the best reason, but why dont you tell me why you get your panties oin a knot when i mention deleting the innactives. you say it was a "pretty smart" idea, for the creators to do, but you cry when i mention it. now after i admit to not having the best reason, you tell me what you have against doing it

SWMustang
06-22-2006, 08:09 PM
i assumed you got my point when i said the reason is just to clean out the list. you know, make it smaller. maybe its not the best reason, but why dont you tell me why you get your panties oin a knot when i mention deleting the innactives. you say it was a "pretty smart" idea, for the creators to do, but you cry when i mention it. now after i admit to not having the best reason, you tell me what you have against doing it

Because it's an elitist attitude for someone of your posting stature to request those with posting deficiencies be eliminated. They are people too - Show some compassion!!!!

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Because it's an elitist attitude for someone of your posting stature to request those with posting deficiencies be eliminated. They are people too - Show some compassion!!!!

It somehow loses something when it's not in all caps!!!

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!!

pirate44
06-22-2006, 08:21 PM
ill try to say this with as much compassion as i can muster up. i dont care about post counts. i post cuz its fun to interact in this type of forum. i have been the only one i know of on this board wanting to get rid of the "post count" and rank members acording to their longevity. that would make me one of the lower ones on the totem pole. it doesnt bother me. anybody can put up 7000 posts in 2 years, but it takes someone with a great appreciation for this board to contribute to it year after year. i hope i can be one of those. but why would someone register and not post even once over a long period of time? for whatever reason, i cant imagine it hurting their feelings. if so, too bad, cuz like ranger mom and super1 have said, there were smart people who anticipated that and programed this to automatically delete the inactives. so it is a moot point indeed. knowing that first, i woudnt have created this thread. but since it started, myself and a few others have been having fun with it in a silly sort of way. i encourage everyone to quit making these threads and this board more than what it is. its entertainment. information and fun. lighten up.

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 08:26 PM
ill try to say this with as much compassion as i can muster up. i dont care about post counts. i post cuz its fun to interact in this type of forum. i have been the only one i know of on this board wanting to get rid of the "post count" and rank members acording to their longevity. that would make me one of the lower ones on the totem pole. it doesnt bother me. anybody can put up 7000 posts in 2 years, but it takes someone with a great appreciation for this board to contribute to it year after year. i hope i can be one of those. but why would someone register and not post even once over a long period of time? for whatever reason, i cant imagine it hurting their feelings. if so, too bad, cuz like ranger mom and super1 have said, there were smart people who anticipated that and programed this to automatically delete the inactives. so it is a moot point indeed. knowing that first, i woudnt have created this thread. but since it started, myself and a few others have been having fun with it in a silly sort of way. i encourage everyone to quit making these threads and this board more than what it is. its entertainment. information and fun. lighten up.

YEAH!!!! What he said!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/RangerMom1/smilies/party0049.gif

SWMustang
06-22-2006, 08:34 PM

I was just joking with you. I don't care about post counts either. Now an avatar - that would be nice.

RM - I knew it was missing something when I wrote it. You nailed it.:)

pirate44
06-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I was just joking with you. I don't care about post counts either. Now an avatar - that would be nice.

RM - I knew it was missing something when I wrote it. You nailed it.:)
dang, i typed out all that crap for nothin:mad: :D

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Now an avatar - that would be nice.

Only 1,038 post to go!!!

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2006, 08:40 PM
It somehow loses something when it's not in all caps!!!

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!!
You forgot the smilie. :p

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You forgot the smilie. :p

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

There we go!!!!

Administrator
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
LOL -- this brings back memories of me having to manually purge members who don't come here anymore.

This package (vBulletin) does not have the capability to delete users who do not post/visit/activate their account at signup, etc. I did, however, write a custom script to have this occur. So, basically, the way the script works, is that if a user does NOT VISIT the site (being logged in with their userid) at least once every year and a half, then they are deleted. The people that you see in the members list, that haven't posted in the past year and a half, are actually the members who just read the site. The cleanup occurs nightly, and e-mails any members who are in jeopardy of being deleted. So, basically, the 'true' non-returnee's are deleted -- albeit, after 1.5 years. Why so long? a number of members only read the site specific times of the year (ie: football, baseball, etc.), then never even come back to the site until the following season. 1.5 years is plenty of time for someone to come back and "visit" the site.

Hope this makes sense ;) and cleared up for everyone :)

pirate44
06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Administrator
LOL -- this brings back memories of me having to manually purge members who don't come here anymore.

This package (vBulletin) does not have the capability to delete users who do not post/visit/activate their account at signup, etc. I did, however, write a custom script to have this occur. So, basically, the way the script works, is that if a user does NOT VISIT the site (being logged in with their userid) at least once every year and a half, then they are deleted. The people that you see in the members list, that haven't posted in the past year and a half, are actually the members who just read the site. The cleanup occurs nightly, and e-mails any members who are in jeopardy of being deleted. So, basically, the 'true' non-returnee's are deleted -- albeit, after 1.5 years. Why so long? a number of members only read the site specific times of the year (ie: football, baseball, etc.), then never even come back to the site until the following season. 1.5 years is plenty of time for someone to come back and "visit" the site.

Hope this makes sense ;) and cleared up for everyone :)
gotcha:thumbsup: now lets get back to havin fun.

Ranger Mom
06-22-2006, 08:50 PM
gotcha:thumbsup: now lets get back to havin fun.

Well...I got part of it right!!:cool:

SWMustang
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Only 1,038 post to go!!!

It's gonna take a while. I've been REALLY busy doing stuff around the house. However, I can still dream about that glorious day when my wildest dreams become reality and I have an avatar.

AggieJohn
06-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Because it's an elitist attitude for someone of your posting stature to request those with posting deficiencies be eliminated. They are people too - Show some compassion!!!! sounds like you have "Posting ENVY "

SWMustang
06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
sounds like you have "Posting ENVY "

I have no shame - your assessment is correct. :(

MHSvarsity2007
06-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I can still dream about that glorious day when my wildest dreams become reality and I have an avatar.

i am too!! it's my goal for 2006 to get an avatar on here!

super1
06-23-2006, 03:51 AM

I'm sorry that you thought I had my "panties oin (sic) a knot".
I'll have you know that I am a male and don't wear such items. Perhaps you do. Not that anything is WRONG with that.

I really couldn't care less whether the inactives get removed or not. I don't know that I've ever even looked at the list. If I were creating a website such as this, I would have the inactive posters taken off too because it would make my job easier.
I don't know why I find it strange that a regular poster would care either since it really doesn't affect them at all unless they are a Mod and have to deal with working around them.
Maybe it's like another poster said. It sorta seems like an elitist attitude.

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I didn't mean to get into a pissing contest over it. :D

pirate44
06-23-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm sorry that you thought I had my "panties oin (sic) a knot".
I'll have you know that I am a male and don't wear such items. Perhaps you do. Not that anything is WRONG with that.

I really couldn't care less whether the inactives get removed or not. I don't know that I've ever even looked at the list. If I were creating a website such as this, I would have the inactive posters taken off too because it would make my job easier.
I don't know why I find it strange that a regular poster would care either since it really doesn't affect them at all unless they are a Mod and have to deal with working around them.
Maybe it's like another poster said. It sorta seems like an elitist attitude.

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I didn't mean to get into a pissing contest over it. :D
lighten up :rolleyes:

DaHop72
06-23-2006, 08:30 AM
lighten up :rolleyes: Francis:D :D

Ranger Mom
06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Francis:D :D

HAHA!! That's exactly what ran through my mind!!

DaHop72
06-23-2006, 08:39 AM
HAHA!! That's exactly what ran through my mind!! Great minds:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sweetwater Red
06-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Excellent movie. I bet super1 doesn't have a clue as to what it
means.

super1
06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Excellent movie. I bet super1 doesn't have a clue as to what it
means.

Stripes

DaHop72
06-23-2006, 10:40 PM