PDA

View Full Version : No backcourt violation on Wade afterall!!

PHS Wildcats
06-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Associated Press

DALLAS -- The NBA said Tuesday that there was no backcourt violation on the play that led to Dwyane Wade's winning free throws in Game 5 of the NBA Finals.

After the Miami Heat's 101-100 overtime victory over Dallas on Sunday night, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said an assistant coach showed him a tape that led his team to believe that Wade should have been called for a turnover when he caught an inbounds pass to begin the possession.

"My understanding from the rule book is, if you are going to catch the ball in the backcourt, you have to be in the backcourt to catch it," Cuban said.

Not true, according to Rule 4, Section VI, which deals with frontcourt/backcourt.

Replays showed that Wade leaped near midcourt to catch the ball in the air, landing with possession in the backcourt.

Part of the rule states that, "frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during a throw-in in the last 2 minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period."

Because Wade was in the air when he caught the ball, league spokesman Tim Frank said his position wasn't determined until he landed. And since another rule allows for the ball to be thrown into the backcourt at that time, there was no violation.

"I knew I was straight," Wade said Tuesday morning after shootaround. "I know the rules. I knew it wasn't a backcourt."

Cuban was fined $250,000 by the league on Tuesday for his actions after the game.

Phil C
06-20-2006, 02:22 PM
"Tromped up analysis by people you never hear of." :D

PHS Wildcats
06-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Go to ESPN:clap:

Phil C
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Go to ESPN:clap:

My point exactly. (2005 USC team better than UT) :)

Adidas410s
06-20-2006, 02:37 PM
geez you think they could quote the rule straight from the rulebook when writing a story...but I guess that just wasn't possible here!

Trumped up analysis!!! :rolleyes:

Here is the text straight from the book:

e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
EXCEPTION: During the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or any overtime period, the ball may be passed anywhere(frontcourt or backcourt) on the court.

Either way...it's a stupid exception to have in the rulebook IMO.

Maroon87
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I think they oughta do away with the backcourt violation on all inbounds plays.

KTJ
06-20-2006, 03:15 PM
I could have told you that.

I've been hammering this to all my friend that it wasn't a backcourt violation. I'm a referee and Mavs fan. :D

However, that "backcourt" isn't the main issue so I don't know why people tried to make it so.

Adidas410s
06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
It wasn't a big issue...but the media just needed something else to throw into the fire!

pirate4state
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM
The commentators said it was cool as soon as it happened so I wasn't worried. ;) :D :D

This is all so silly!!!