PDA

View Full Version : Dirk fined ...

3afan
06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
... $5K for kicking tha ball into the stands after Sunday's game

thats probably just the start of the $s about to go to the NBA ... if not, then thats another discussion

slpybear the bullfan
06-19-2006, 09:07 PM
He had calmed down plenty by the time he came on the press conference.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
i can understand a fine if someone was injured...if not ITS JUST A STUPID INANIMATE BALL. why fine someone for "hurting" something that doesnt have feelings. and if it has feelings, it needs to learn how to speak up so we will stop slamming it on the ground when we run down the court...but seriously, its just a ball, make him buy a new one if that ball means that much to you.

PHS Wildcats
06-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i can understand a fine if someone was injured...if not ITS JUST A STUPID INANIMATE BALL. why fine someone for "hurting" something that doesnt have feelings. and if it has feelings, it needs to learn how to speak up so we will stop slamming it on the ground when we run down the court...but seriously, its just a ball, make him buy a new one if that ball means that much to you.

what if it had hit someone in the stands?:thinking:

Maroon87
06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Before everyone starts getting carried away, he's not the first one to be fined for doing that.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
what if it had hit someone in the stands?:thinking: then the fine should stand, that would almost be as the same as the fight last year at the pistons/pacers game. but is that about the ball hittong someone in the stands? no. its about him kicking the ball. and im not saying he should be any different than anyone else, i just dont see what the big deal about kicking the stupid ball is. IMO thats a stupid rule and should be changed.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
what if it had hit someone in the stands?:thinking: and what if oyu actually rooted for the team that is from the same place as you? holy crap, hadnt thought of that had'ja?

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 11:38 PM
and what if oyu actually rooted for the team that is from the same place as you? holy crap, hadnt thought of that had'ja?

there you go posting as haunt again... remember to log off

Bulldog_12
06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
then the fine should stand, that would almost be as the same as the fight last year at the pistons/pacers game. but is that about the ball hittong someone in the stands? no. its about him kicking the ball. and im not saying he should be any different than anyone else, i just dont see what the big deal about kicking the stupid ball is. IMO thats a stupid rule and should be changed.

Its being used as a punishment to help players remember that they are in front of a national audience and that many kids look up to them. And if kids get the impression that it is alright to throw a hissy fit every time something doesnt go their way, then we will really have problems in the future. I am glad he got fined. I understand being angry, but save it until you get out of the public eye, then you can moan and complain and kick bikes all you want.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
there you go posting as haunt again... remember to log off one misspelled word and im now someone who blatanly misspells words for attn? i didnt know you worried so much about what i or others do...if thats what you have to do to sleep at night...whatever.:hand:

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 11:50 PM
one misspelled word and im now someone who blatanly misspells words for attn? i didnt know you worried so much about what i or others do...if thats what you have to do to sleep at night...whatever.:hand:

umm joke... ha ha...

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Its being used as a punishment to help players remember that they are in front of a national audience and that many kids look up to them. And if kids get the impression that it is alright to throw a hissy fit every time something doesnt go their way, then we will really have problems in the future. I am glad he got fined. I understand being angry, but save it until you get out of the public eye, then you can moan and complain and kick bikes all you want. i can understand that, but that goes against something else i passionately believe...is not idolizing people. hes another person just like you and me, i think he should be allowed to show that he is human. after all its not a crime to be angry. people watch boxingand ufc, they dont get fined for kicking the crap oughta one another. i understand they are different sports, but still people will "look up to them" just the same regardless of the sport to which they are participating.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
umm joke... ha ha... um...whatever.:hand:

Bulldog_12
06-19-2006, 11:52 PM
i can understand that, but that goes against something else i passionately believe...is not idolizing people. hes another person just like you and me, i think he should be allowed to show that he is human. after all its not a crime to be angry. people watch boxingand ufc, they dont get fined for kicking the crap oughta one another. i understand they are different sports, but still people will "look up to them" just the same regardless of the sport to which they are participating.

There is a difference between showing you are upset and going over the line. Dirk went over the line and is now paying for it. To quote Mel Brook's Blazing Saddles," Please, you are making a German spectacle of yourself."

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-20-2006, 12:01 AM
i still dont see how kicking a stupid ball is "over the line"

Bulldog_12
06-20-2006, 12:02 AM
i still dont see how kicking a stupid ball is "over the line"

He acted like a five year old. If anything maybe it makes him realize how foolish he looks to people other than Mavs fans.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-20-2006, 12:04 AM
well, i will go kick a basketball so dirk wont be alone. not because i want to do something that he did, but because i want to show the world that what he did is no different than what i, or anyone else, would do, in fact ill do it for the same reason. so what, im gonna have to get fined 5 grand now?

Bulldog_12
06-20-2006, 12:23 AM
so what, im gonna have to get fined 5 grand now?

No, because you are not at your job and you are not required to be professional. It is just a game, but it is still Dirks job and he did not act professionally. If I went in to the office tomorrow and kicked the copy machine because it wouldnt work for me, I would probably be disciplined somehow. Dont you think?

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-20-2006, 12:33 AM
to correct your statement, i am at my job, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. i would venture guess to say that i am more watched everywhere i go because of my job than almost any other person in the world, and most definately any other job in the world. im sure you would be disciplined some how if you kicked a printer/copier. but the difference is that you/your workplace couldnt replace that item as easily as the NBA/the Dallas Mavericks/Drik Nowitski could replace a basketball. and you arent in the public eye in your work place.

Bulldog_12
06-20-2006, 01:02 AM
to correct your statement, i am at my job, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. i would venture guess to say that i am more watched everywhere i go because of my job than almost any other person in the world, and most definately any other job in the world. im sure you would be disciplined some how if you kicked a printer/copier. but the difference is that you/your workplace couldnt replace that item as easily as the NBA/the Dallas Mavericks/Drik Nowitski could replace a basketball. and you arent in the public eye in your work place.

Ok, well I didnt mean it to be so much about the printer, I meant more that you are held to higher standards at work than you might hold yourself to. You are going to be disciplined if you don't follow the rules that are set up. NBA players are demanded to be professional at all times on the court. Kicking a basketball across the gym, then kicking a bike, then kicking a water cooler is probably not smiled upon in ANY situation, much less at a job.