PDA

View Full Version : Peewee Football

pirate44
06-19-2006, 08:10 PM
im not sure if this is 1978 or 1979, but i thought it was 1978 which would make me 6 years old. i could be wrong. maybe a Sinton poster who was a part of this team could help me out on that. does anyone else have their peewee football pics?

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1943/mikespeeweefootballteampicsml0.jpg

44INAROW
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Are you the 1st one on the left on the top row? OR...3rd from the right on the front row?

pirate44
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Are you the 1st one on the left on the top row? OR...3rd from the right on the front row?
dang youre good. im the 3rd from the right on the bottom row. the other is my brother (coach in Ingleside). #84 is my oldest brother (head coach at Three Rivers). my youngest brother was a couple years too young to play.

OnceABucJr
06-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Is the coach in the middle another relative?

pirate44
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by OnceABucJr
i think that's Julius (Bubba) Petrus. no relation.

piratebg
06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
I wish I could have played peewee football, but my parents always signed me up for soccer instead. I'm going to let my sons choose.

OnceABucJr
06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I can see that's Bubba now. Do you remember the other coaches and some of the other players names? Always interesting to see them then (compared to now!)?

pirate44
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
the other coaches are on the left, Hughes Thomas and on the right, former Sinton Pirate coach Murray Stevenson

pirate44
06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I can see that's Bubba now. Do you remember the other coaches and some of the other players names? Always interesting to see them then (compared to now!)?
hmm..thats tough. let me guess.

bottom row, left to right:
??, Robert Vasquez, ??, Mike Hesseltine, Tony ?, Bobby Morin (i think)

middle row, left to right:
David Sandel, Eddie Hesseltine, Matt Petrus, Will Petrus, Kevin Root, Scott Sandel

top row, left to right:
Darrell Hesseltine, KJ Styra, ??, ??, Steven Thomas, ??(his name is on the tip of my toungue, i just cant remember), Steven Knox (im not 100% on this one either)

coaches:
Hughes Thomas, Julius Petrus, Murray Stevenson

OnceABucJr
06-19-2006, 09:17 PM
If you know them now it's interesting to see how they've changed or, in some cases, not changed that much. I never met Hughes or Bubba before they had gray hair so it's interesting to see them 25+ years ago. Thanks

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:34 PM
If you know them now it's interesting to see how they've changed or, in some cases, not changed that much. I never met Hughes or Bubba before they had gray hair so it's interesting to see them 25+ years ago. Thanks
yeah, its interesting. i dont look at this pic much so its fun to get the dust off and take a look. at the time of course, i never knew coach Stevenson was one of the Sinton Hich School coaching greats. He has legendary status around here.

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
i know if i posted some of my dad's old little league teams photos, there are several posters on here that would recognize each other. i might do that someday. maybe during baseball season.

Fish's mom
06-19-2006, 11:42 PM
I still have my son's , they'll probably shoot me but I'm going try to post it on here tomarrow. They'll the the juniors on our varsity next year. HAHAAHA They grow up fast.

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i know if i posted some of my dad's old little league teams photos, there are several posters on here that would recognize each other. i might do that someday. maybe during baseball season.

do it now, im in one or two of those pictures

pirate44
06-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
do it now, im in one or two of those pictures
he has most of that stuff boxed up right now, but i'll see what i can do. you know he still has every scorebook for just about every team he coached. its pretty cool looking through those things.

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 07:37 AM
he has most of that stuff boxed up right now, but i'll see what i can do. you know he still has every scorebook for just about every team he coached. its pretty cool looking through those things.

ive already told you my admiration for him. taught me well on a baseball field :)

AP Panther Fan
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW OR...3rd from the right on the front row?

LOL...I picked him out immediately! :D

Guess he is aging well!

pirate44
06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
LOL...I picked him out immediately! :D

Guess he is aging well!
haha..i didnt photoshop and brighten up the area around me. thats just me and all my pastey whiteness ;)

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 11:19 AM

he looks like ronnie after staring at it for a while..

pirate4state
06-20-2006, 11:27 AM

David Sandel, Eddie Hesseltine, Matt Petrus, Will Petrus, Kevin Root, Scott Sandel

top row, left to right:
Darrell Hesseltine, KJ Styra, ??, ??, Steven Thomas, ??(his name is on the tip of my toungue, i just cant remember), Steven Knox (im not 100% on this one either)

coaches:
Hughes Thomas, Julius Petrus, Murray Stevenson WOW!! Pretty good memory if some of those are right. Are you in contact with any of these guys?

pirate44
06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
WOW!! Pretty good memory if some of those are right. Are you in contact with any of these guys?
ive seen a few around town. i keep in touch with the 2 that are my brothers;)

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 11:57 AM
ive seen a few around town. i keep in touch with the 2 that are my brothers;)

i would hope so :)

pirate44
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
i would hope so :)
it's tougher than you would think

pirate44
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM

top row, left to right:
Darrell Hesseltine, KJ Styra, Brian Meyers , ??, Steven Thomas, Lorenzo Perez Steven Knox (im not 100% on this one either)

coaches:
Hughes Thomas, Julius Petrus, Murray Stevenson
thanks to my brother, he has informed me of 2 of the players i forgot. i added them in red text in the above quote.

Adidas410s
06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
you don't think that Phil C is the coach on the right in the picture? I've heard he is a legend in Sinton.;)

pirate44
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
you don't think that Phil C is the coach on the right in the picture? I've heard he is a legend in Sinton.;)
haha...i dont think Phil C was living in Sinton back then

pirate44
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM
by the way, i remember there was a previous thread about "The Roundup" dance hall. from looking at this photo i noticed that they were the ones who sponsored out team

pirate44
06-20-2006, 02:59 PM
by the way, i remember there was a previous thread about "The Roundup" dance hall. from looking at this photo i noticed that they were the ones who sponsored out team

OnceABucJr
06-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I think Bubba Petrus was married to a Griffith back then (Matt & Will Petrus' Mom) and, of course, the Roundup was on the Griffith Ranch. Also, isn't Hughes Thomas' wife also Murray Stevenson's daughter? Sinton is pretty small!!!

pirate44
06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I think Bubba Petrus was married to a Griffith back then (Matt & Will Petrus' Mom) and, of course, the Roundup was on the Griffith Ranch. Also, isn't Hughes Thomas' wife also Murray Stevenson's daughter? Sinton is pretty small!!!
correct on both:thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 05:08 PM
it's tougher than you would think

i talk to my brother once a month or so... and he lives in Odem...

Chief Woodman
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
WOW! my parents could not afford to let me play baseball. Had trouble just keepin' us brats fed.

pirate44
06-20-2006, 07:38 PM
i talk to my brother once a month or so... and he lives in Odem...
you have a brother?

SintonFan
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
you have a brother?
He has a brutha!:thumbsup: :crazy:

piratebg
06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
you have a brother?

Actually, I believe he has two, but I might be wrong.

pirate44
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
i just realized that picture was taken at the old pirate football field (used to be located across the street from Whataburger). does anyone remember that? im sure the older folks do.

piratebg
06-20-2006, 08:03 PM
i just realized that picture was taken at the old pirate football field (used to be located across the street from Whataburger). does anyone remember that? im sure the older folks do.

Before my time. I did used to live in the Royal Arms Apt that are now located at that spot. That's about it.

District303aPastPlayer
06-20-2006, 08:04 PM
you have a brother?

yes, an older half brother from Odem

I do... the field goal post cement blocks are still there... holes in the ground... i live across the street from it...