PDA

View Full Version : Downlow folks Country or City?

Bullaholic
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I wonder where the Downlow members grew up? Did you grow up in the city or the country? How many of your families are farmers or ranchers? How many of you are familiar with livestock and farming? Rodeo?

I grew up in the suburbs of New Orleans, and I have become acquainted with the "cowboy" and ranching lifestyle of Bridgeport for the last 30 years. Before that, I didn't know one end of a cow from another.

Maroon87
06-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I was raised on a farm west of Corpus Christi. I was able to drive a tractor long before I could drive a car.:cool:

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 11:48 AM
in the city of Sinton

pirate44
06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
spent most my youth growing up 3 miles west of Sinton on fm881 (now is 188). wouldnt trade the life for anything. we raised out 4-h and ffa livestock projects hogs, heifers, steers, etc. out there, went coon huntin, snake killin, had bb-gun fights and tons of other things the city kids will never experience.

Rabbit'93
06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Forney - Used to be country...getting bigger everyday.

STANG RED
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I was raised way out in the sticks. Raised pigs and cattle. We farmed just enough land for wheat and hay grazer for the cattle.

Gobbla2001
06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Grew up in town, but was always doing stuff out in the country with family who ranched a little...

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Grew up in the rural community of Ingleside. No farming growing up, but as a kid...and to this day...most activities revolve around fishing and the coast.:)

raider red 2000
06-19-2006, 12:15 PM
i grew up in lubbock,

wife grew up in the country outside of cuero....had chickens and cows.

i would say i am a city boy though. :)

Phantom Stang
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I grew up inside the city limits of Sweetwater. I now live in the Metroplex, so whether I'm country or city depends on who you ask.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I lived "in town" most of my growing up years, but always small ones. My dad has always had a ranch at Dumont, so I know the "ends" from each other. ;)

Maybe Bullaholic can appreciate this. In high school, one of the girls in my class father owned a ranch. She apparently didn't go out there too often, because once in biology class we were having a discussion about cows and she repeatedly said "you know, the boy cows". :doh: :doh: :D

CHS_CG
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
As long as I can remember I have lived in the country. It's nice but I am ready to live in the city.

DaHop72
06-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I grew up in the city limits of Sweetwater. I now live "in the country", a mile and 1/4 outside the city limits of Snyder.:D :D

Bullaholic
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Grew up in the rural community of Ingleside. No farming growing up, but as a kid...and to this day...most activities revolve around fishing and the coast.:)

AP, judging from the 1 pic I saw of you at a M&G, I would never have bet that you were a gal who would take fish off the hook and clean em'. I knew from a previous thread that P44 was an old country boy because we had a discussion about a "toothpick" made from part of a raccoon that is prized by country folks.

big daddy russ
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Ditto. Well, the outskirts of town. We used to ride our bikes down to the end of Sunray Road three or four times a week during the summer. Every other day, we were either riding dirt bikes, riding up to the baseball fields to play some ball, or riding our bikes to the swimming pool.

Never did any farming or ranching myself, but I worked on a ranch out in Bayside in HS. Mostly digging up old t-posts, mending fences, general grunt work.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
AP, judging from the 1 pic I saw of you at a M&G, I would never have bet that you were a gal who would take fish off the hook and clean em'. I knew from a previous thread that P44 was an old country boy because we had a discussion about a "toothpick" made from part of a raccoon that is prized by country folks.

LOL....I like fishing, which includes baiting my own hook, casting and catching....

Bull, YOU ARE RIGHT....I leave the unhooking and cleaning to the guys in the family.:D

Russ, I remember riding my bike as a kid to Ingleside on the Bay rather frequently...only problem was...once I would finally get there, I would have to call someone to drive out and pick me and the bike up because I just didn't have the desire to ride all the way back.:D

Cameron Crazy
06-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Big City...Irving now the ghetto glad we moved to Graham when i was 2...

GetRDoneStangs
06-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Lived out in the country south of Port Lavaca. We were the first one on the bus in the morning and the last ones off in the afternoon.

Moved back in to the country near Sweetwater. It something about being able to go out on the back deck at night to ... well, you guys that lived in the country know what I mean!!:D :D :D

DaHop72
06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Lived out in the country south of Port Lavaca. We were the first one on the bus in the morning and the last ones off in the afternoon.

Moved back in to the country near Sweetwater. It something about being able to go out on the back deck at night to ... well, you guys that lived in the country know what I mean!!:D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs It something about being able to go out on the back deck at night to ... well, you guys that lived in the country know what I mean!!:D :D :D

I don't think my son realizes we have indoor plumbing... ;)

Old Dog
06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Ranch raised................

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
If I cant go off the front or back porch I dont want to live there. There also has to be a wal mart within 20 miles.

DU_stud04
06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I grew up inside the city limits of Sweetwater. I now live in the Metroplex, so whether I'm country or city depends on who you ask.

same story, though with all the sweetwater stories ive told up here, im more likely to get a country answer

MHSvarsity2007
06-19-2006, 05:03 PM
i live like half a mile from the city limits sign. so i suppose im in the country. :confused:

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
i live like half a mile from the city limits sign. so i suppose im in the country. :confused:

TOO MANY JOKES TOO MANY JOKES... You cant set a brutha up like that.

MHSvarsity2007
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
TOO MANY JOKES TOO MANY JOKES... You cant set a brutha up like that.

hah. at least you are refraining. i haven't heard a merkel joke from you in a while. im proud of you haha :clap: :clap:

olddawggreen
06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I was born in Corpus Christi and went to school through the middle of the 6th grade. I spent every summer on my grand parents ranch in Oatmeal, Texas (Burnet County). I moved to the ranch full time when I left Corpus in the 6th grade. So I would have to say that I did my "growing" on the ranch.

olddawggreen
06-19-2006, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
[B]Lived out in the country south of Port Lavaca. We were the first one on the bus in the morning and the last ones off in the afternoon.

Indanolia?

slpybear the bullfan
06-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Grew up in little town west of Bridgeport.... Runaway Bay. LOTS and LOTS of the outdoors... but mostly oil field trash. ! :D :D :D

(Sadly, no other kids were interested in how to frac in Jack County or that cottseed hulls could only mean one thing... LOL)

GetRDoneStangs
06-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Indanolia?

Spent lots of time there... but Chocolate Bayou and Bay ...where nearly in my back yard...camped out and fished there, many times growing up...
:cool: :cool: :cool:

piratebg
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I spent the first 8 years of my life in the city of Odem and the village of Edroy. After a small stint in Austin, I finally settled in Sinton, where I have lived for about 13-14 years.

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I spent the first 8 years of my life in the city of Odem and the village of Edroy. After a small stint in Austin, I finally settled in Sinton, where I have lived for about 13-14 years.
so you and Phil C arent natives. i would have swore you both were.

piratebg
06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
so you and Phil C arent natives. i would have swore you both were.

That would be correct, sir. There are people, though, who could swear that I have lived here my whole life. I'm an Owl by birth according to my uncle. :D

smustangs
06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
country boy born and raised i loved it. raised livestock drove feedtruck and a tractor way before i had my license. worked hard and loved every minute of it.

olddawggreen
06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Spent lots of time there... but Chocolate Bayou and Bay ...where nearly in my back yard...camped out and fished there, many times growing up...
:cool: :cool: :cool:

I used to go on some unbelievable goose and duck hunts on some friends land at Powder Horn Bay. Their Grandmother owned about 4,000 or 5,000 acres around there and it was the best I've ever seen. Its all in a Federal Preserve now, but I have some great memories:)

KTJ
06-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Born and raised in Gainesville.

I hate the country and not a big fan of small towns. I'm a city guy all the way. Heck, I even think Austin is too small for me. I'd like to move to a bigger city.

Chief Woodman
06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
City boy- sort of. Born in Fort Worth and lived in the Diamond Hill area. Spent a lot of time on my grandmothers farm in Coushatta, Louisiana. Did everything from slaughtering hawgs, dressing out the beef, wringing the chickens necks, making homemade soap, homemade sugar cane syrup, diggin' tater, picking peas etc. If it involved farm life I did it. My grandma never had indoor plumbing until I was 18, and she NEVER had air conditioning till she died at 96 yeras old this last December. That old woman could and would out work most men. I currently live in the metroplex but with my new plane I fly to the county quite often. Been going duck and goose hunting in Lafayette La on a 6,000 acre rice farm. LOTS of LOTS of Waterfowl (Some of dim dere gators too)

exbccards76'smom
06-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Born and raised in the metropolis of Kountze,Texas. I live in a bigger city now, but it is not too big.

footballgal
06-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I was raised in Cotulla, Tx .. I guess I would say country, as it's pretty close to living on a Ranch!

olddawggreen
06-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
I was raised in Cotulla, Tx .. I guess I would say country, as it's pretty close to living on a Ranch!

Did you know any of the Helen Storey?

spiveyrat
06-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Growing up in Jasper was more country than city. But I didn't grow up on a farm/ranch or anything like that. I grew up in a neighborhood where your neighbor's houses weren't 5 feet from yours and the trees were tall and shady. Now, I'm a city dweller.

Man I miss trees! :(

scrub c
06-21-2006, 08:23 AM
country

footballgal
06-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Did you know any of the Helen Storey?

Yes! Actually I know her grandson, Bubba Storey he was a grade below me, so I knew him from school. That reminds me of the Storey home, and how that is still the biggest house in town.:D I remember growing up thinking that house was a palace. That's how small of a town Cotulla is, because as I mentioned, even now it's still the biggest house in town.

IHS Fan
06-21-2006, 09:26 AM
born in yoakum raised in corpus. spent my summers on my grandparents farm in cheapside till they moved to a smaller farm outside of yoakum. picked lots of cotton in cheapside. but now more city than country.