PDA

View Full Version : Most Difficult Town to Drive Through

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 09:00 AM
After reading the thread about driving in Corpus...thought I would take a poll on what city in Texas is the hardest to drive through the first time you ever drove there. This isn't talking about how bad the traffic may be...just talking about the layout of the city.

ILS1
06-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Definitely Austin,especially during rush hour. Downtown onramps (very short and narrow) were design and built in the 50's and 60's before Austin had a traffic problem. But they still haven't done anything about them!!!!

:D

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Since Temple wasnt listed I voted Waco which is the closest. Temple is a confusing mess.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Abilene - you almost have to be a rocket scientist to understand the street names at first. Okay, so maybe understand is too strong a word, because even though I now know "how" they work, I still don't get why anyone thought it would be a good idea. :doh: :doh:

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Abilene - you almost have to be a rocket scientist to understand the street names at first. Okay, so maybe understand is too strong a word, because even though I now know "how" they work, I still don't get why anyone thought it would be a good idea. :doh: :doh:

Don't you just love how the east and west streets are labeled North and South? Then again...it is referring to their relation to the railroad tracks...but those aren't anywhere near the center of town these days!!! The North/South streets are just named after historical figures in town...no real help in navigating your way around.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Houston is the most difficult for me. Changing from one freeway to another is particularly challenging because by the time you see the sign chances are you can't get in the right lane.

Houston drivers are interesting as well.:mad:

Phil C
06-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Sinton is very hard at 5 P.M. believe it or not!! The traffic is heavy and sometimes it gets backed up by a train passing though town. Sometimes it takes me five minutes to get home after work!! :eek: :(

pirate4state
06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sinton is very hard at 5 P.M. believe it or not!! The traffic is heavy and sometimes it gets backed up by a train passing though town. Sometimes it takes me five minutes to get home after work!! :eek: :( LMAO!!! A whole 5 minutes!?! :eek: :eek: Why that is unspeakable!!! :p :p

hutex04
06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Killeen is on my list. People in that town dont know how to drive! You get people from every state in America and put them in one town and its crazy.

big daddy russ
06-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Since Bryan/College Station and Temple aren't on the list, I went with Austin. Someone already talked about Temple. B/CS is basically one, big town with a population of about 150K people and no freeways through the middle of it. Hwy 6 and 2818 run around it, but if you live anywhere near campus good luck trying to get anywhere around 8 in the morning.

For those of you that live in Corpus, you know about the South Side. Just imagine if the entire city was like that. No S.P.I.D., no Crosstown Expressway, no 37.

CHS_CG
06-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I voted Austin, but I can tell you one thing, Midland is NOT hard to drive in... atleast i dont think so... but if you have somebody like Ranger Mom and Ranger Rebel takin you 50 different ways to town from Greenwood, it can get a lil confusing!

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sinton is very hard at 5 P.M. believe it or not!! The traffic is heavy and sometimes it gets backed up by a train passing though town. Sometimes it takes me five minutes to get home after work!! :eek: :(
ROFL:clap: i really needed that laugh

pirate4state
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I voted Austin, but I can tell you one thing, Midland is NOT hard to drive in... atleast i dont think so... but if you have somebody like Ranger Mom and Ranger Rebel takin you 50 different ways to town from Greenwood, it can get a lil confusing! Just get on the loop!! :D

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:48 AM
out of the cities on that list i have been in, most all are have decent layouts, but the amount of construction and growth affects them all in some way. i guess Houston would be the most difficult, but the truth is, the idiotic drivers are what make driving the toughest

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I voted Austin, but I can tell you one thing, Midland is NOT hard to drive in... atleast i dont think so... but if you have somebody like Ranger Mom and Ranger Rebel takin you 50 different ways to town from Greenwood, it can get a lil confusing!

Midland isn't too bad once you figure out that the loop begins way outside of town...and isn't really a loop for a few miles.

The street setup is really similar to Abilene...except the loop goes around the north and west sides with I-20 cutting to the south...whereas Abilene is the loop on the south and west sides with I-20 cutting to the north.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Don't you just love how the east and west streets are labeled North and South? Then again...it is referring to their relation to the railroad tracks...but those aren't anywhere near the center of town these days!!! The North/South streets are just named after historical figures in town...no real help in navigating your way around.
That combined with the fact that all but one North/South running streets change names when you cross the tracks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
That combined with the fact that all but one North/South running streets change names when you cross the tracks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Barrow to Mockingbird is the only one that changes names. Willis keeps it's name...Pioneer dead ends at North 10th. Treadaway and Judge Ely keep their names.

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 11:00 AM
if Lubbock or DFW get any votes on here I would be quite shocked. Both cities are very symetrical and easy to navigate.

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 11:16 AM
since there are no trees within 700 miles of Midland you can see right across town to whereever you are going if it is more than 18 ft tall.
lol

GWOOD
06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Austin is the worst place in Texas to drive from 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Barrow to Mockingbird is the only one that changes names. Willis keeps it's name...Pioneer dead ends at North 10th. Treadaway and Judge Ely keep their names.
Sayles to Graham is the other that crosses the tracks. Try driving on S. 14th up and down numerous times trying to find Pine so you can get to a doctor appt at Hendricks. The streets either change or just disappear.

I can get around Abilene now without any problems - it's "learning" it that's messed up. :p

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Sayles to Graham is the other that crosses the tracks. Try driving on S. 14th up and down numerous times trying to find Pine so you can get to a doctor appt at Hendricks. The streets either change or just disappear.

I can get around Abilene now without any problems - it's "learning" it that's messed up. :p

I don't really count Sayles to Graham because it's no longer a major street. I guess you can also include FM89 to Buffalo Gap to Sayles to Graham in that case.

Maroon87
06-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Funny thing about Houston is that sometimes the streets just change names out of nowhere. For instance, you can be driving north on Chimney Rock and once you cross I-10 you realize you are now on Wirt Rd. That happens a lot around here...

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I like how in Dallas you can be on Preston or on Beltline and be 20 miles from downtown in any given direction...and even into a different county.

DU_stud04
06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
seems like every street in arlington changes names atleast twice.........not hard atall to get around though.

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't really count Sayles to Graham because it's no longer a major street. I guess you can also include FM89 to Buffalo Gap to Sayles to Graham in that case.
Hey, you have to understand it was 29 years ago. :p Back then, Buffalo Gap was in the middle of nowhere.

slpybear the bullfan
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Austin on that list. I am not particulary fond of San Antonio either.

DFW sucks hard during Rush hour... especially both 35s... 183, 121, and 635...

piratebg
06-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I was in the Temple/Belton area back in the fall and the traffic there was horrible.

htowntransplant
06-19-2006, 10:44 PM
well getting lost in downtown htown at around midnight is not fun, especially with all the homeless wondering around. when main street connector to 59 south was down, the detours led me in a big circle that got me places i didnt want to be in at midnight. san antonio is a tad confusing when ur on i10 west near I35 and santa rosa hospital. u have to take all these small exits to stay on 10, and it gets confusing with the lower level and upper level of 10.

heck even beaumont can be tricky. i have fond memories of how it drove my mom up the wall trying to get back on 10 east.

htowntransplant
06-19-2006, 10:48 PM
as far as wierdest layout, then its corpus no doubt. corpus is on the way to nowhere....its just off to the side away from any major highways.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
honolulu isnt up there. but thats a tough town to drive around in. pretty much that means this whole island. you have about a million cars squeezed onto a 40 sq mile island, biased/racist police, and the worst drivers on the planet. take my word for it.

so honolulu gets my vote.

Go Cuero
06-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Definitely Austin on that list. It's not just horrible from 3:30 to 6:00 - it's all day long and it's not just Austin...it's all the suburbs too. It's like Austin is sucking them all in to make one big freaking city!! But hopefully the new toll roads and other roads going in will help because honestly I'm tired of dealing w/the traffic. I went to ACU in Abilene and I didn't the traffic was bad but I can understand difficult..or confusing. The roads go opposite of the direction they say like North and South streets. I lived in Temple too and it was a little confusing but the traffic wasn't bad.

Now let me tell you, have you been in the traffic in Cuero after a football game or right after the fireworks on the 4th?? LOL Talk about your traffic!!