PDA

View Full Version : I hate driving in Corpus...

Gobbla2001
06-18-2006, 12:43 PM
How do you guys do it??? It's 'okay' unless you're in the downtown area, then it gets crazy... I've had to drive in Dallas, understood that... Austin, understood that.... Houston, understood that... Cuero was a little tricky but I finally got it down... but CORPUS, wow, that's just a different monster...

AggieJohn
06-18-2006, 01:15 PM
corpus isn't the monster that you think it is...it's poorly designed, but it's not the monster you think it is.. you just have to know where to get off

Gobbla2001
06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
corpus isn't the monster that you think it is...it's poorly designed, but it's not the monster you think it is.. you just have to know where to get off

Poorly designed, yes, and poorly 'signed'... signs are hard to come by... I asked to directions to a place twice (was damn near it most of the time) but they all couldn't give me the best way to get there... "Go down this street, take a left and keep going straight on this street and you'll run right into it"... never ran into it and there were no signs for it...

The beachfront is lookin' nice though and I didn't drive off the bridge so I'm really not complaining too much...

Plus that Bourbon Street Bar and Grill has some great selections of beer... too bad I had to drive all of the way home last night or I would have tried more...

Maroon87
06-18-2006, 01:48 PM
There's quite a bit of street construction going on in downtown CC so that might add to the confusion. But AJ is right...if you're from there like me you can basically get around with your eyes closed.

Gobbla2001
06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
you can basically get around with your eyes closed.

That's what I was trying to do, ya see... I drive in all of the others with them closed, but was unable to do that in Corpus... when I opened my eyes I was fine, but closed just didn't work out yesterday/last night...

Nah, I get what y'all are saying, but the others were easier on the first time... and the construction didn't really throw me off as much as the lay-out... just different...

Baseball field's looking good though (the part I could see anyway)...

olddawggreen
06-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
How do you guys do it??? It's 'okay' unless you're in the downtown area, then it gets crazy... I've had to drive in Dallas, understood that... Austin, understood that.... Houston, understood that... Cuero was a little tricky but I finally got it down... but CORPUS, wow, that's just a different monster...

The most important thing to know, is never make eye contact with the other driver. He who makes eye contact first, loses the upper hand and right of way;) :D

Gp83
06-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
The most important thing to know, is never make eye contact with the other driver. He who makes eye contact first, loses the upper hand and right of way;) :D

And never ever wink at one of those guys holding a sign..."I'll work for food".:doh:

Gobbla2001
06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
And never ever wink at one of those guys holding a sign..."I'll work for food".:doh:

And don't run over the drunk skinny guy with a torn up shirt... he will not walk on the side of the road, only in the middle...

SintonFan
06-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Cuero was a little tricky but I finally got it down... but CORPUS, wow, that's just a different monster...
ROFL!!!
:D :clap: ;)

Gobbla2001
06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
The gas prices? Man, my eyes had a hard time adjusting to seeing that...

I'm moving there this week I think :D

exbccards76'smom
06-18-2006, 09:31 PM
I just got back from San Antonio. The hotel I stayed at charges you $18 a day to park(and it's only valet parking!!!) I enjoyed riding the trollys. Saved $300 plus dollars by cancelling the rent a car and getting my sis to pick me up at the airport. Then took a taxi back to the airport.

AggieJohn
06-18-2006, 10:51 PM
There's quite a bit of street construction going on in downtown CC so that might add to the confusion. But AJ is right...if you're from there like me you can basically get around with your eyes closed. downtown is so messed up it's not funny.......however, everywhere else is pretty easy to get too....you just say i live at the corner of...... and .......... and people know it...

htowntransplant
06-18-2006, 11:17 PM
dude the gas prices here are insanely good.....but i think its because of the fact that literally 95% of the gas stations in CC are citgo's and there is a citgo refinery here....meaning ur not paying more for gas transportation cost from refinery to stations. as far as driving around CC, i would say that it was easy for me, but i stare at maps excessively....and have done it ever since i was 8..and im 21. CC has some of the wierdest road layouts because most traffic is not on the freeways, but rather the smaller artery roads....wich makes driving to my apartment a pain in the rear during the rush hours.

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
wich makes driving to my apartment a pain in the rear during the rush hours.

yup... tryin to get to his place for a BBQ around 7pm is damn near impossible...

Maroon87
06-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I crack up when I hear people from CC talk about "rush hour." It's more like "rush ten minutes.";)

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I crack up when I hear people from CC talk about "rush hour." It's more like "rush ten minutes.";)

very true... 410 in SA is murder

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 08:58 AM

exactly. I am fortunate in that I drive against the flow of traffic going to/from work each day. I am amazed when going south on 67 in the mornings that you will see traffic at a standstill from where 67/I-35 meet to at least where 67/I-20 meet every day...and this is without any accident. I really couldn't spend 2 hours of my life every day just sitting in my car. Yeah my drive to work is about 40-45 minutes...but it covers 35-40 miles so I'm moving the entire time. Get on 635 after about 7:20 in the morning...or 75 after about 7:30 and you too can sit in your car and take an hour to move 8-10 miles. It's really exciting stuff I tell ya...

Oh and back to the original topic, I always found Corpus really confusing to get around when we lived there. You can figure it out after a while...but it's a very weird and unconventional layout. The only cities worse than Corpus are Wichita Falls and San Angelo. Austin is a very poor layout but there is always so much traffic and congestion that you have enough time to pull out your map to figure out where you are going.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Driving in Corpus was horrible this weekend. Between the construction on the Crosstown Expressway, construction on Shoreline Drive AND the westbound side of SPID being CLOSED getting anywhere was a challenge!

pirate44
06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Driving in Corpus was horrible this weekend. Between the construction on the Crosstown Expressway, construction on Shoreline Drive AND the westbound side of SPID being CLOSED getting anywhere was a challenge!
you got caught too, huh? people driving were such jerks. i ended up getting on Holly Rd to avoid some of it:mad:

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
you got caught too, huh? people driving were such jerks. i ended up getting on Holly Rd to avoid some of it:mad:

Yes, started out by going to Academy and saw that the other side of SPID was closed, so I went Airline to Shoreline. Was sitting in the Whataburger on Shoreline, when my daughter called me from Cabiness Field and asked me to pick her up....so.....I had to go back through all that mess.

Holly Road or Saratoga are the best bet....that and make sure every turn you have to make is a right turn....left turns are impossible.:mad:

pirate44
06-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes, started out by going to Academy and saw that the other side of SPID was closed, so I went Airline to Shoreline. Was sitting in the Whataburger on Shoreline, when my daughter called me from Cabiness Field and asked me to pick her up....so.....I had to go back through all that mess.

Holly Road or Saratoga are the best bet....that and make sure every turn you have to make is a right turn....left turns are impossible.:mad:
i must have missed you there at Academy. i had to get a Longhorn shirt for my dad for father's day. i saw that they were signing kids up for football. i had good thoughts as i looked at the sign, then looked down at my son. ahhh its good to be the dad of a boy. :D

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 11:23 AM
i must have missed you there at Academy. i had to get a Longhorn shirt for my dad for father's day. i saw that they were signing kids up for football. i had good thoughts as i looked at the sign, then looked down at my son. ahhh its good to be the dad of a boy. :D

LOL....I spent about an hour looking at golf bags. They only have about 100 to choose from!;)

Mikey should hit the t-ball age before the youth football age. I am thinking they can start playing t-ball at 5.:clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate44
06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
LOL....I spent about an hour looking at golf bags. They only have about 100 to choose from!;)

Mikey should hit the t-ball age before the youth football age. I am thinking they can start playing t-ball at 5.:clap: :clap: :clap:
wow, thats young. i was in youth football at 6. do they still play that young? i saw a sign advertising swim lessons. Beckye was curious, and id like to look into that too.

AP Panther Fan
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
wow, thats young. i was in youth football at 6. do they still play that young? i saw a sign advertising swim lessons. Beckye was curious, and id like to look into that too.

You know, I wish Aaron was on....he would know the answer to the youth football ages. I was trying to remember when Michael played and it seems like he was in 4th, 5th or 6th grade. It was somewhat of precurser for junior high football.

Gp83
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Man I love living in Portland:clap:

District303aPastPlayer
06-19-2006, 03:34 PM
You know, I wish Aaron was on....he would know the answer to the youth football ages. I was trying to remember when Michael played and it seems like he was in 4th, 5th or 6th grade. It was somewhat of precurser for junior high football.

im here :)
and i believe its 7 years old.