PDA

View Full Version : abilene wylie's best athlete ever

sportsfan46
06-17-2006, 02:04 AM
For a school so good at pretty much every sport they play who is their best athlete ever. Just in high school not what they did after they got out of high school.

kepdawg
06-17-2006, 02:07 AM
I don't know but maybe 1 of the 3 other people on will.

injuredinmelee
06-17-2006, 02:09 AM
John Lampert.

oh well
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
John Lampert.

By far he was outstanding in Track and field as well as football the Qb from this year has to be close as well.

BreckTxLonghorn
06-17-2006, 11:48 AM
John Lampert.

That kid was an absolute beast. Just a great athlete, and never a big smack talker (that I heard at least). In Jr. High I always used to lose long jump/high jump to him (except when he was hurt for 8th grade district--score one for the Broncos!).

What all did he do for his workouts? We use to swear in high school he was on something, because he really blew up then. Obviously, looking back, he was just a better athlete, but jealousy ruled back then. How's he doing at Purdue?

Also, what happened to that whole class? Where are they now? Ensor, Ruth, and Wunderlich are three I remember in football, and McConnell in track.

thewyliefan
06-17-2006, 12:36 PM
hands down john lampert. i believe he is still playing football at purdue but i would say either john lampert or there was a linemen on the first team that went to state in 2000 that was so quick he would go through the Olinemens legs and the next play just right over the top

injuredinmelee
06-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
hands down john lampert. i believe he is still playing football at purdue but i would say either john lampert or there was a linemen on the first team that went to state in 2000 that was so quick he would go through the Olinemens legs and the next play just right over the top

Bobby McMillan. The toughest pound for pound kid to EVER play at Wylie. Boby wiehged about 160 and stood about 5'7" but he was so fast of tthe line and strong. He got hurt in the title game against gatesville unfortunately.

John is still at Purdue and will be 2nd team this fall. He came home for a couple of weeks when school first got out before going back to Lafeyette to work out for the summer.

WUnderlich is in school at Tech as is Ensor. Danny Ruth is at Hardin Simmons playing baseball. He was DIII player of the week after a weekend series that saw him collect 9 hits over three games with I thnk it was 2 homeruns, 2 triples and two doubles.

thewyliefan
06-17-2006, 08:28 PM
AHHHH YES Bobby McMillan. thats guy i was thinking about. he was so talentened. only if he was taller and weighed a little more he would be excelent in D1 football. And i havnt seen John in a year or so when he came into the dog house.

VWG
06-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Anybody remember Bobby Lilljehdahl? Went to UT as a punter, but he was a good athlete out of Wylie.
What about big Tyler Crump? He still playing football?

injuredinmelee
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Tyler is still playing at Angelo State.

Lamperts work ethic is what sets him apart from everyone else. The kid was born with a ton of natural ability but worked his butt off.

thewyliefan
06-18-2006, 10:29 PM
i saw tyler at the wylie decatur baseball game at mcmurry and hes big as always

injuredinmelee
06-18-2006, 10:57 PM
He is big but I will still take him down.

;)

Adidas410s
06-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
and McConnell in track.

I think you are referring to O'Connell. He is one of my good friends here in Dallas. He was running track and cross country @ Texas A&M shin splints and a broken leg playing indoor soccer ended his collegiate career during his sophmore year.

Also, one can't forget David Wu...he played tennis at Wylie. He was in the Top 15 in the state (across all classifications), Top 100 in the US as well as winning a state title in singles, doubles, and team tennis. He is the only person in 3A and the 2nd person regardless of classification to accomplish this...the other was Rick Meyers of Abilene Cooper in the mid-70's. In four years, he was undefeated in both district AND region play...never losing a set at district and losing only 2 sets at region during high school. His team were the regional champs his junior and senior years as well.

He turned down many scholarship offers from Division 1 and 2 schools (including 4 of the Top 10 D-2 programs) to stay in Abilene and play at Hardin-Simmons. He has been named All-American his sophmore, junior, and senior years as well as West Region Player of the Year for 2005-06. He acheived a career high ranking of #1 in the West Region and #2 in the nation in Mens Doubles in Spring 2005. He has been as high as #4 in the West Region and #15 in the nation in Mens Singles.

Other people may have succeeded in multiple sports (i.e. Lampert and Keenum) but none matched the success that Wu has had...both in HS and in college.

vet93
06-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Played against Bobby...very good quarterback...All state or second team all state. Punted at UT....Was like tackling a tree he was so big and tall. We held him to about 80 yards passing though!!! John Lampert was the guy that came to mind for me...followed by Case Keenum.

Originally posted by VWG
Anybody remember Bobby Lilljehdahl? Went to UT as a punter, but he was a good athlete out of Wylie.
What about big Tyler Crump? He still playing football?

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I think you are referring to O'Connell. He is one of my good friends here in Dallas. He was running track and cross country @ Texas A&M shin splints and a broken leg playing indoor soccer ended his collegiate career during his sophmore year.

Also, one can't forget David Wu...he played tennis at Wylie. He was in the Top 15 in the state (across all classifications), Top 100 in the US as well as winning a state title in singles, doubles, and team tennis. He is the only person in 3A and the 2nd person regardless of classification to accomplish this...the other was Rick Meyers of Abilene Cooper in the mid-70's. In four years, he was undefeated in both district AND region play...never losing a set at district and losing only 2 sets at region during high school. His team were the regional champs his junior and senior years as well.

He turned down many scholarship offers from Division 1 and 2 schools (including 4 of the Top 10 D-2 programs) to stay in Abilene and play at Hardin-Simmons. He has been named All-American his sophmore, junior, and senior years as well as West Region Player of the Year for 2005-06. He acheived a career high ranking of #1 in the West Region and #2 in the nation in Mens Doubles in Spring 2005. He has been as high as #4 in the West Region and #15 in the nation in Mens Singles.

Other people may have succeeded in multiple sports (i.e. Lampert and Keenum) but none matched the success that Wu has had...both in HS and in college.

Wu was a stud. He has to be listed among some of the top Wylie athletes.

thewyliefan
06-19-2006, 11:59 AM
didnt bobby continue punting at the pro or semi-pro level...i think i remember hearing something about that or maybe it was someone from another school:thinking: haha

injuredinmelee
06-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Ken Blackman also went onto the University of Illinois and palyed witht he Bengals for years. Last I heard he was married to a female wrestler.

Mustangpride09
10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Didn't wylie have a kid hit something like 25 homers a few baseball seasons ago?

thewyliefan
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
i do remember a great pitcher by the name of voorhees i believe

D. R. Hooks
10-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Grant Greg was a multi-sport stud...always was in the TV highlites....

NDFootball
10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I agree with Lampert.

Am I the only one that feels like Eric Wilson should be mentioned in here somewhere?

He was the best OL Wylie's ever had IMO. Is he playing college ball anywhere?

injuredinmelee
10-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
I agree with Lampert.

Am I the only one that feels like Eric Wilson should be mentioned in here somewhere?

He was the best OL Wylie's ever had IMO. Is he playing college ball anywhere?

If he would have worked as hard as some of the others in the offseason he might be mentioned here.

NDFootball
10-17-2006, 11:24 PM
If he would have worked as hard as some of the others in the offseason he might be mentioned here.

Ahh I see.

injuredinmelee
10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Ahh I see.

He had loads and loads of talent. The best feet i have ever seen on a kid that big. Had the big legs and the wide base that you loe to see on a lineman with collegiate potential. I like Eric and think he is a great kid.