3afan
06-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Link?

nope - listeniing online

Emerson1
http://espn1033.com/

Avery was just on and he was smokin. I suspect Cuban will get a couple million in fines to the next few days.

Adidas410s
They did this with the Jason Terry deal too...wait until late Friday afternoon to leak the story so that it gets minimized in the media and he will be back by Monday!

KTJ
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Nevermind.

3afan
06-16-2006, 04:45 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/index.html

Adidas410s
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Report: Stackhouse suspended for whack on Shaq
Avery Johnson said on ESPN 103.3 FM today that Jerry Stackhouse has been suspended for Game 5 for his flagrant foul on Shaquille O'Neal last night.

Earlier today, Johnson said he didn't think a suspension was warranted.

"If that's a suspension, they will have to go back and review everything that has happened throughout the playoffs," he said. "There may have to be some retribution or something and maybe go suspend some other players they forgot."

Snyder_TigerFan
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
What a load of crap. That was not that hard of a foul...I've seen much worse get nothing. Besides, you're suppose to do that. Its either let him have an easy layup or foul him.

Phil C
06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Game 5 goes to Miami.

wildstangs
06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Shaq got mugged! Stackhouse isn't much of a loss anyways. I expect game 5 to be much closer.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 04:53 PM
freaking amazing. Unbelievable

Bullaholic
06-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Stackhouse will be a big loss for game 5. However, this is a "reach",but....this might be just what the Mavs need to "light their fire". They will be playing game 5 with a vengance.

Phil C
06-16-2006, 04:54 PM
From what I have seen of Shaq once in a while he should be suspended and sometimes they don't even call the foul.

Adidas410s
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Stackhouse will be a big loss for game 5. However, this is a "reach",but....this might be just what the Mavs need to "light their fire". They will be playing game 5 with a vengance.

We thought the same thing about losing Terry in Game 6 against San Antonio. Oh well...

Adidas410s
Originally posted by Phil C
From what I have seen of Shaq once in a while he should be suspended and sometimes they don't even call the foul.

Notice above where Avery said this...

"If that's a suspension, they will have to go back and review everything that has happened throughout the playoffs," he said. "There may have to be some retribution or something and maybe go suspend some other players they forgot."

Phil C
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Or hopefully Game 6 and 7 if they lose Game 5. Refs need to keep an eye on Shaq but you know how that goes.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 04:56 PM
my opinion ....

If that was a foul that warranted a suspension then all three officials should be reprimanded. All three of them had a great view of it and none of them believed it was a flagrant 2. Hes freaking 360-plus lbs. Give me a break. Shaq got put on his backside by a guard and the league is just embarrased for him.

3afan
06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Game 5 goes to Miami.

phil - just stick with rooting for the spurs ... the Mavs dont need your negative karma

KTJ
06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
What's funny is that no one thought it would be an issue of suspension or not.

Everyone--Miami included--just said it was a hard foul.

I hope Cuban raises hell over this. And you know he will.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
yeah...that is what amazes me. Last night it wasnt even talked about. was it a hard foul? Yes? Should it have been a flagrant. Yes. Should he be suspended....hell no. Unbelieveable. Good job NBA.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
shaq should have gotten up and went after Williams' dumb butt. He shouldnt have even made that pass to him. He's as good at padding his assist stats as some posters are on here padding their post count.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
FROM DALLAS MORNING NEWS

-----------------------------------------------

However, Stackhouse said after the game that “when Shaq is going to the basket, we want to try to make him go to the free throw line and earn it. Just a hard play.’’

Even O’Neal said that “my daughters tackle me harder than that when I come home.’’

slpybear the bullfan
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
This is exactly why basketball... especially the NBA will continue to remain a mystery to me. Officiating? I have NO CLUE as to what dictates WHEN a foul will be called... or WON'T.

I heard a league ref earlier this year explain it is either obvious (no brainer to me...) or "when one player gains a unfair advantage by the contact."

???

If you have to guard a guy that has 8 inches on ya and a good 100 pounds, what else can you do but foul?

You could call a foul on almost every play. You could make an argument on almost every foul that it is flagrant. Travelling and carrying calls appear to be a quota that has to be filled each game, nothing more.

How about the Haslam fould on Terry that sprained Haslam's shoulder? The announcers talk about what a good "hard" foul it was. ??? What is the difference between that and what Stack did last night?

Please don't misunderstand me as having sour grapes about the Mavs loss... they have done nothing in games 3 and 4 and need a gut check... I was just wanting to weigh in on what a mystery the NBA officiating is to me.

Sign me as...

"Football fan... the king of sports!"

kepdawg
06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
They should take up a collection at the AAC Sunday night to help pay for Avery's fine because he's definitely got one coming!

3afan
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
just wait 'til Cuban $peak$ up ....

Gobbla2001
06-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Wonder if Stackhouse will follow the leader's lead and donate that game to charity :D

kepdawg
06-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Cuban can't get much worse than Avery on this one.

Gobbla2001
06-16-2006, 05:32 PM
I myself did not see the foul, but I will say that this doesn't surprise me...

A coach of mine used to have a saying (sure some of you may have heard it before) "Basketball is a Contact Sport, Football is a Collision Sport"... neat saying, but may have to be modified to "Basketball is a Get-Touched-You-Go-To-The-Line Sport, Football is a If-You-Win-By-50-Or-More-Your-Coach-Gets-Suspended Sport"

They're turning us into wussies and that other word that rhymes with it...

GET PISSED AJ AND CUBAN, GET PISSED!!!

But Go Spurs!!!

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 05:39 PM
wow....i just heard Avery Johnsons comment about the entire situation on the news. Nice. I like seeing Avery fired up. He might be fined now. Go Avery!

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Get you some of that Shaq.....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/06-06/0617stackhouse_hp.jpg

Astrosdawg07
06-16-2006, 05:43 PM
What ever happened to playing physical basketball? I loved Stackhouse's move....I like the aggresion.

mr.leopard man
06-16-2006, 05:45 PM
yep isnt this something....Like avery johnson said...Did they not see shaq foul stackhouse and bloody his nose and get three stitches.i think that was in game 2 or 3?. or did this Stu Jackson from the Nba leave and had a bathroom break when that happened???:thinking:

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
AVERY JOHNSON: "They are just so inconsistent (the NBA). ....We have no authority and we are always reminded of that...we are told we are just coaches. Its a bunch of bologna."

he said more but was just trying to type as I heard it on th news...

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 06:04 PM
"My daughters tackle me harder when I come home," O'Neal said of Stackhouse's play. "I'm one of the last players of the old school, and you know, you just have to take a hard foul like that and keep on moving. It actually felt pretty good to get hit like that. Thank you, Jerry. Appreciate it."

Bulldog_12
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I like the physical play, but if you watch it again, Stackhouses forearm went right into shaq's head. It was blatantly obvious that Stackhouse was not even trying to play the ball and I believe the suspension is warranted. You cant have everyone going around giving shots like that. Had that been someone else, a career might have been ended. And even the guys on ESPN last night brought up the question on whether or not Stackhouse will be suspended and all said yes.

And anyone who thinks stackhouse being out wont affect the mavs much, He has been 56 points off the bench in the last four games. Take that for what its worth.

3afan
06-16-2006, 06:16 PM
SportsCenter did a piece on the other suspensions so far in the playoffs and if you compare Stack's to those then the league was consistent.

kepdawg
06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh well, training camp is just around the corner anyway.

Leopards,class of 75
06-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Hopefully this is a wake-up call for the Mavs! I think the Mavs will win it in 6, maybe 7 games.

DU_stud04
06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
its so fixed i say itll go to game 6......how else but to win it at home in dallas right?

everything is always about more money, somehow someone will get kicked out for a game again and could possibly look at 7.

^^^
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45728&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

wow....did i call this or what?

PHS Wildcats
06-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
What a load of crap. That was not that hard of a foul...I've seen much worse get nothing. Besides, you're suppose to do that. Its either let him have an easy layup or foul him.

I wonder if you would say the same thing if Dirk had gotten that foul:clap: You Mavs fans will find anything to complain about.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
SportsCenter did a piece on the other suspensions so far in the playoffs and if you compare Stack's to those then the league was consistent.

if you compare it to other suspensions...sure its consistent. But the inconsistency comes into play when you consider fouls that SHOULD have been suspensions and were not. That is the argument of the Dallas Mavericks right now.

kaorder1999
06-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Mavs right to cry foul on this one

09:12 PM CDT on Friday, June 16, 2006

MIAMI – You would think a guy who coached Charles Oakley for two seasons knows the difference between a hard foul and a dirty foul. But NBA disciplinarian Stu Jackson does not.

Friday afternoon Jackson kicked Jerry Stackhouse out of what on Sunday already threatened to be the most pivotal contest in these NBA Finals because of the foul Stackhouse handed Shaquille O'Neal in the Heat's singeing of the Mavericks on Thursday in Game 4.

This is one time Mark Cuban will be absolutely correct in screaming bloody murder about an officiating decision concerning his team.

After all, the veteran referees, including the highly respected Dick Bavetta, who called Thursday's game and couldn't help but miss Stackhouse leveling Shaq on a two-on-one fast break, tagged Stackhouse with a flagrant foul but did not feel warranted to toss him from the floor. Shaq, 7-1 and threehundredsomething pounds, dismissed the collision after the game, comparing it to being tackled by his daughters.

Pat Riley did compare it to James Posey's rundown of Chicago's Kirk Hinrich, which drew a one-game suspension for Posey during the Heat's first-round series. But there appeared no intent from Posey in that incident other than to knock Hinrich silly.

The only thing excessive about the Stackhouse incident is the penalty imposed by Jackson.

Now these NBA Finals, which just started living up to the promise from what has been an absolutely spectacular postseason, are marred, or at least Game 5 will be. Put an asterisk next to this one.

In hindsight, maybe Stackhouse shouldn't have raced back to try and stop Shaq. Maybe it was just one of many mental meltdowns for the Mavericks on Thursday night, like the Josh Howard turnover that led to the event. The Mavericks were down 17 then, but it was just midway through the third quarter.

All Stackhouse was doing was trying to thwart an easy basket, which is what you're supposed to do at this time in the season. Had he been in a Heat uniform, you can bet Riley would've applauded his attention to detail and Cuban would've sounded Riley's charge. That's the way it goes.

But now Stackhouse won't be around for Game 5 because one guy overruled the officials and decided Stackhouse's foul was over the top.

This isn't Jason Terry being tossed during the San Antonio series. The rules are clear on that one. Throw a punch, no matter how weak, and you get a game off.

This isn't DJ Mbenga getting a six-game suspension for checking on the well-being of Mrs. Avery Johnson, Cassandra, in the Phoenix stands. The rules are clear on that one, too. Any player who goes into the stands will be suspended.

The decision on Stackhouse was subjective, unnecessarily so.

It isn't like Stackhouse has, as NBA czar David Stern said once of Ron Artest, some previous pernicious history. He has a reputation in this league as a scorer, a selfish scorer, which he's proven in Dallas, by the way, to be untrue. He has a reputation as a tough player, a fearless one. He did unfortunately fracture Joe Johnson's face on a great block last season.

But Stackhouse as a ruffian? No.

This is one instance where the NBA would do itself well to borrow a page from FIFA, the folks who sanction the World Cup and issue yellow cards for excessive contact. Two and you're gone.

The NBA has a point system for flagrant fouls. A flagrant 1, which is what the referees gave Stackhouse, is worth one point. A flagrant 2, which is what Jackson upgraded the foul to, is worth two points. A player who tallies at least three points is automatically suspended, kind of like a soccer player who gets a second yellow card.

Guess who is walking that thin line right now? Dirk Nowitzki. He has two points. Who said Dirk is soft? One more and he'll have to sit. Obviously, the Mavericks can't afford that.

But they can't afford losing Stackhouse, either, their only punch (oops, poor choice of words here) off the bench. He's been as valuable to this team as anyone.

This could work out in an odd way. The Mavericks could respond like an aggrieved group, rallying around the hole in their lineup and playing out of their heads. They weren't, however, able to do that when Terry got tossed.

This could get them hopping mad by the time Stackhouse comes back in Dallas. But by then, it could be too late.

If it looked in the last five quarters like it is getting easier for the Heat, it just got that much easier. The Mavericks got robbed.

PhiI C
06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3afan
phil - just stick with rooting for the spurs ... the Mavs dont need your negative karma [/QUOTE

I would but I have my rights to comment on this web site anytime I want. Besides it was the other way around last year when the Spurs were in the playoffs when we got negative comments from some Mavs fans (and most were supportive) so I have the same rights. Besides I am the Sinton GodFather. :)

PhiI C
06-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Maybe but Shaq should have been suspended too. They only showed what they wanted to show. I can understand the Mavs and their fans frustration.

PhiI C
06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
If Miami wins this series in Dallas (and especially if they lose Game 5 because Stackhouse wasn't playing) when they are presented their trophies in Dallas can you imagine the booing everyone (from the commissioner to the team) will receive. That noise may be so deafening they may have to move it to the locker room. This may be something to see. Of course I hope the Mavs pull it off.

PhiI C
06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
They should take up a collection at the AAC Sunday night to help pay for Avery's fine because he's definitely got one coming!

Only for speaking the truth like Gandi did in India years ago.

Phantom Stang
06-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3afan
phil - just stick with rooting for the spurs ... the Mavs dont need your negative karma [/QUOTE

I would but I have my rights to comment on this web site anytime I want. Besides it was the other way around last year when the Spurs were in the playoffs when we got negative comments from some Mavs fans (and most were supportive) so I have the same rights. Besides I am the Sinton GodFather. :)
You tell'im don Phil!!:D

PHS Wildcats
06-17-2006, 04:32 PM
If Miami wins this series in Dallas (and especially if they lose Game 5 because Stackhouse wasn't playing) when they are presented their trophies in Dallas can you imagine the booing everyone (from the commissioner to the team) will receive. That noise may be so deafening they may have to move it to the locker room. This may be something to see. Of course I hope the Mavs pull it off.

:thinking: Hmmm, I wonder if Dirk "The arm flailin', leg kickin' Maverick" had be fould like that and ended up in the 1st row by Haslem or Posey and they were suspended , if you guys would be singing the same tune.

Oh and Phil C if the Heat won the Title in Dallas, they would do the Trophy Presentation in the Heat Locker room, not on the court, so there will be no boos

Phil C
06-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats

Oh and Phil C if the Heat won the Title in Dallas, they would do the Trophy Presentation in the Heat Locker room, not on the court, so there will be no boos

That would be wise indeed.

PHS Wildcats
06-17-2006, 05:30 PM
yea, that's whatthey always do in the event of the visiting team winning the title on the home teams court.

3afan
06-17-2006, 05:43 PM
..... Besides I am the Sinton GodFather. :)

dang, I forgot ........