PDA

View Full Version : best player in the league

DU_stud04
06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
after much thinking and chatting with bulldog_12, we have both agreed that Puljois is the best player in the MLB hands down.

anyone else agree?

and who comes in a close honorable mention, as alot of players are having a breakout season this year.

smustangs
06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
not at all close to honorable mention but Freddy Sanchez from the Pirates is haveing a heck of a year so far

kepdawg
06-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
after much thinking and chatting?

What the heck was there to think about?

DU_stud04
06-15-2006, 11:08 PM
well....its wasnt much thinking at all.....much thinking for me is about 1 seconds worth.... yea, sad i know...:D

big daddy russ
06-15-2006, 11:35 PM
1. Pujols (noone else is even close)
2. Johan Santana
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. Vladi Guerrero (possibly the best defensive RF this side of Ichiro... can also do anything he wants with the bat)
5. Pedro Martinez
6. Andruw Jones (Best defensive CF in the NL, is just about to enter his prime, and already has a 50-homer season under his belt)
7. Derrick Lee (Five-tool player who just happens to play 1B- and is the best defensive 1B in the leaugue)
8. Jake Peavy (The most underrated player in the league)
9. Bobby Abreu (What Carlos Beltran would be if he could hit .300 consistently)
10. Carlos Beltran (Had an off-year last year, but is the leader of one of the best teams in the NL this year and is on track to have another monster year)

Corey Patterson will be in the top ten if he can stay healthy and Ryan Howard's well on his way.

DU_stud04
06-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
2. Johan Santana
3. Alex Rodriguez
4. Vladi Guerrero (possibly the best defensive RF this side of Ichiro... can also do anything he wants with the bat)
5. Pedro Martinez
6. Andruw Jones (Best defensive CF in the NL, is just about to enter his prime, and already has a 50-homer season under his belt)
7. Derrick Lee (Five-tool player who just happens to play 1B- and is the best defensive 1B in the leaugue)
10. Carlos Beltran (Had an off-year last year, but is the leader of one of the best teams in the NL this year and is on track to have another monster year)

Corey Patterson will be in the top ten if he can stay healthy and Ryan Howard's well on his way.

no ichiro? i think he would be more publicised if he had a better team to work with

big daddy russ
06-15-2006, 11:42 PM
He makes contact better than anyone except Pujols and Lee, and I probably should've rated him ahead of Beltran, but all these guys have the ability to go yard or change the game anytime they want.

Yeah, looking at it, I'd put Ichiro ahead of Beltran.

10. Ichiro

DU_stud04
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
nice top 10:D

Keith7
06-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
2. Johan Santana
3. Alex Rodriguez
5. Pedro Martinez

Corey Patterson over Michael Young?

Bulldog_12
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
No Adam Dunn? No Jim Thome? I would put either ahead of Lee at this point in time BDR. Cubs only had him for 14 games. Who knows what his year would be right now. The way me and DU were talking in the chat room, we ranked the best players in the league for the year, and Lee cannot be put there yet.

big daddy russ
06-16-2006, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Corey Patterson over Michael Young?
Yup.

Originally posted by Bulldog_12
No Adam Dunn? No Jim Thome? I would put either ahead of Lee at this point in time BDR. Cubs only had him for 14 games. Who knows what his year would be right now. The way me and DU were talking in the chat room, we ranked the best players in the league for the year, and Lee cannot be put there yet.
My bad, I was putting them in order of best players period. I still don't think I'd put Thome in there, just because he's a DH. Dunn might be 10th, but he makes it tough since he's barely making the Mendoza line.

If we're talking about this year alone:

1. Pujols
2. Alfonso Soriano (This time, it is close)
3. John Papelbon (There isn't a single pitcher more dominant than this guy right now)
4. Santana (he always sucks in April, but he still has a sub-3.00 ERA)
5. Beltran
6. Ryan Howard
7. Miguel Tejada
8. Pedro
9. Brandon Webb
10a. Roy Halladay
10b. Alexis Rios

Jason Bay's been too streaky, Carlos Lee whiffs almost as much as Dunn, and Travis Hafner and Jim Thome only play offense. Other guys up there: David Wright, Matt Holliday, Ichiro, Vernon Wells, Chase Utley, and Corey Patterson.

Highschoolfan78
06-16-2006, 02:36 AM
1. Pujols
2. Contreras if we're goin by this year..he was injured for a while .. but man..he's awesome
3.ichiro(has over 100 hits this season already with a 367 average)
4. Roy holliday (consistent every year.. posting a 8-1 start so far this year)
5.Garciaparra (if we're going by this years standards.. he may be injury plagued but he has been bringin it)
6. Michael Young
7.Brandon Webb
8.tejada
9. jim thome
10. scot rolen

this was only based on this season so far

honorable mention (schilling, glavine,brad penny, beltran, Mauer)

DUKE22
06-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I really dont see how you can leave off Ortiz and Ramirez. Especially Ortiz, DH or not there is no player other than Albert I would rather have up in the clutch. They give you 40 homeruns and drive in 130 every year. Both of these guys would be in my top ten, and I would take Ortiz in my top five.

griff
06-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Pujols is the most dangerous and feared hitter in the National League. I would attest that David Ortiz is the American League equivalent in making pitchers sweat.

To say "best overall player", you would have to include more than just hitting. Toss in defensive play, attitude, "team" player, and leadership. If I had to pick ONE player that best fits all the criteria it would be Miguel Tejada.