PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain this to me.....

kaorder1999
06-15-2006, 09:57 AM
In basketball if a player leaves the bench and comes onto the floor during a scuffle they are fi ned and suspended. How come this can happen in baseball and virtually nothing happen unless you throw a punch?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060615/capt.26aaefbf695946549df083a39981d6e4.indians_yank ees_baseball_nyy108.jpg

PurpleFreddy
06-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Because baseball guys try to kid themselves into being "tough."
But in what other sport can you see so-called athletes who look like David Wells (even the oversized shirt doesn't hide his gut) or (dating back to the '80s) Terry Forster?

It's all a sham. Hockey fights are a sham, but at least they are close to reality.

Bullaholic
06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
A valid question and i can only take some guesses at the answer:

1. Basketball is played on a much smaller area than most other sports with fans in much closer proximity, so it takes very little time for players to get in the middle of a meelee on the court or in the stands.

2. The NBA comissioner, Stern, is determined to have a "0" tolerance policy on player violence in the NBA.

3. Close to 7' pro athletes wearing no protective gear could do major damage or cause death to another person connecting with just one swing.

4. I think "bench clearing" is "grandfathered" by MLB officials because it has been part of baseball history for so long.

Adidas410s
06-15-2006, 10:16 AM
it's what they call "policing the sport." I think it's a big crock...they say the same thing about hockey as well!

I just feel sorry for the kid that Ozzie Guillen went off on last night!

neck_06
06-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

I just feel sorry for the kid that Ozzie Guillen went off on last night!

i missed that, what happened?

Adidas410s
06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
i missed that, what happened?

somebody just posted the article.

Texas is blowing them out but Padilla had hit Piersynski twice. So Guillen sends out a rookie that has pitched 2 innings in the majors and tells him to throw at Blalock. Kid throws way inside twice but Blalock gets out of the way. On the third pitch, Blalock grounds out to 2B. Guillen comes storming out of the dugout and pulls the kid. Then back in the dugout takes his water bottle and smashes it (don't remember if it was floor or wall) and then starts yelling at the kid for a few minutes straight until the kid is in tears.

Macarthur
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
But in what other sport can you see so-called athletes who look like David Wells (even the oversized shirt doesn't hide his gut) or (dating back to the '80s) Terry Forster?

It's all a sham. Hockey fights are a sham, but at least they are close to reality.

So you want to call Frank Thomas not "tough"? How about Bob Gibson, Steve Garvey, Mike Sosia, Nolan Ryan (widely accepted as one of the meanest SOBs to ever take the mound), Reggie Jackson, Bo Jackson? Just because someone doesn't play football, doesn't mean they are not tough guys. So are 350lb OL with guts hanging over their pants athletes?

Keith7
06-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
In basketball if a player leaves the bench and comes onto the floor during a scuffle they are fi ned and suspended. How come this can happen in baseball and virtually nothing happen unless you throw a punch?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060615/capt.26aaefbf695946549df083a39981d6e4.indians_yank ees_baseball_nyy108.jpg

How can you literally throw 20 punches in a hockey game, and only end up with a 5 minute penalty??

Different sports play by different rules, deal with it

AggieJohn
06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
somebody just posted the article.

Texas is blowing them out but Padilla had hit Piersynski twice. So Guillen sends out a rookie that has pitched 2 innings in the majors and tells him to throw at Blalock. Kid throws way inside twice but Blalock gets out of the way. On the third pitch, Blalock grounds out to 2B. Guillen comes storming out of the dugout and pulls the kid. Then back in the dugout takes his water bottle and smashes it (don't remember if it was floor or wall) and then starts yelling at the kid for a few minutes straight until the kid is in tears. sent the kid to the minors today

Adidas410s
06-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
sent the kid to the minors today

oops forgot to mention that part!

I would love to see Rheinecker buzz their leadoff hitter tonight with the opening pitch. Rheinecker looks like a B A up there on the mound.

pirate4state
06-15-2006, 11:27 AM
and then starts yelling at the kid for a few minutes straight until the kid is in tears. There is no crying in baseball!! :D

poor kid

big daddy russ
06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Offensive linemen come to mind.