PDA

View Full Version : 100 Sweatiest Cities

piratebg
06-15-2006, 06:37 AM
While Phoenix may be the sweatiest city, Texas is the sweatiest state with 6 cities in the top 10.

TOP-100 SWEATIEST CITIES IN AMERICA
Brought to You By the Sweat Experts at Old Spice

1. Phoenix, AZ 51. Columbus, OH
2. Las Vegas, NV 52. Kansas City, MO
3. Tucson, AZ 53. Evansville, IN
4. Dallas, TX 54. Lexington, KY
5. Corpus Christi, TX 55. Wilkes-Barre, PA
6. San Antonio, TX 56. Cincinnati, OH
7. Austin, TX 57. Harrisburg, PA
8. Shreveport, LA 58. Baltimore, MD
9. Houston, TX 59. Charleston, WV
10. Waco, TX 60. Springfield, IL
11. Miami, FL 61. Moline, IL
12. New Orleans, LA 62. New York, NY
13. Orlando, FL 63. Roanoke, VA
14. Tampa, FL 64. Indianapolis, IN
15. West Palm Beach, FL 65. Des Moines, IA
16. Honolulu, HI 66. Bristol, TN
17. El Paso, TX 67. Salt Lake City, UT
18. Memphis, TN 68. Detroit, MI
19. Fort Myers, FL 69. Sacramento, CA
20. Baton Rouge, LA 70. Chicago, IL
21. Little Rock, AR 71. Dayton, OH
22. Mobile, AL 72. Toledo, OH
23. Jacksonville, FL 73. Cleveland, OH
24. Tulsa, OK 74. Minneapolis, MN
25. Fresno, CA 75. Hartford, CT
26. Jackson, MS 76. South Bend, IN
27. Savannah, GA 77. Syracuse, NY
28. Montgomery, AL 78. Providence, RI
29. Nashville, TN 79. Pittsburgh, PA
30. Columbia, SC 80. Albany, NY
31. Oklahoma City, OK 81. Buffalo, NY
32. Raleigh, NC 82. Asheville, NC
33. St Louis, MO 83. Grand Rapids, MI
34. Birmingham, AL 84. Milwaukee, WI
35. Huntsville, AL 85. Rochester, NY
36. Richmond, VA 86. Boston, MA
37. Louisville, KY 87. Denver, CO
38. Chattanooga, TN 88. Madison, WI
39. Washington DC 89. Flint, MI
40. Wichita, KS 90. Youngstown, OH
41. Omaha, NE 91. Burlington, VT
42. Norfolk, VA 92. Los Angeles, CA
43. Springfield, MO 93. Green Bay, WI
44. Virginia Beach, VA 94. San Diego, CA
45. Atlanta, GA 95. Colorado Springs, CO
46. Greensboro, NC 96. Portland, ME
47. Charlotte, NC 97. Portland, OR
48. Philadelphia, PA 98. Spokane, WA
49. Albuquerque, NM 99. Seattle, WA
50. Knoxville, TN 100. San Francisco, CA

LH Panther Mom
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
7. Austin

Well, that helps explain the "aroma" I smell when I pick the boys up from workouts, practices, etc. :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

pirate44
06-15-2006, 07:34 AM
there is no way Dallas is sweatier than Corpus Christi. no way!

44INAROW
06-15-2006, 07:41 AM
6 of the top 10- are in Texas :eek:

Adidas410s
06-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by pirate44

exactly!!!

I would rank the Texas cities like this:

1. Austin/Houston (probably Austin)
2. Austin/Houston
3. Corpus Christi
4. San Antonio
5. Dallas

Phil C
06-15-2006, 08:16 AM

It is not only possible but very likely pirate44. I was surprised that Laredo wasn't on the top 50 list because it quite often has the hottest spot in the nation. We have to remember that Corpus Christi at least quite often gets some Gulf breezes especially at night which makes it cooler. Dallas doesn't get the cool breezes of the Gulf. I have had people that lived in these two cities tell me that. In fact my parents lived in Laredo and Dallas and even though Laredo had the hottest temperatures in the nation that at least it was cool in the evenings there because of the Gulf breezes even though Laredo is about 130 miles from Corpus Christi.

Adidas410s
06-15-2006, 08:16 AM
plus...having Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Tucson above any Texas cities is a joke. I've been out there during the summer and yeah it's hotter than in Texsa...but it's the middle of the desert. There is usually a 10-20 mph wind and NO HUMIDITY...unless you are out walking the strip that is crowded with people!

BreckTxLonghorn
06-15-2006, 08:41 AM
I've got to go with Houston #1. There is no way Austin is sweatier than there. The only place in the world where it's be 73 degrees at midnight, and I walked outside and broke a sweat.

Apologies to Houstonians, but there's no way in hell I could live in that town for that very reason.

Aesculus gilmus
06-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Dallas is one of the worst cities in the world, in many ways, including this one. It is too far away from the Gulf to experience sea breezes, yet not far enough away to experience the refreshing drop in humidity of those locales farther west.

Thus, one sweats like a pig, but it never evaporates. Without air conditioning, the place would be uninhabitable at times.

Another problem with Dallas is that everything has been paved over, clear up into northern Collin County, creating a massive "heat island" effect.

Moreover, it is very difficult for trees to grow in the Blackland Prairie, except along streams and rivers. You can travel just a short distance west to Fort Worth and get into the Cross Timbers where at least you'll be able to have a little shade.

There is no reason to live there except to make money. There used to be a commercial for the now-defunct Republic National Bank, narrated by the late Orson Welles of "War of the Worlds" and "Citizen Kane" fame.

He would intone in his melodramatic baritone, "Dallas is MONEY; and Republic National Bank IS Dallas." I think the pit of hell is probably located beneath Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas. In the summer, it is hard to tell the difference between hell and the ground above it.

Ranger Mom
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
I have never been to Houston, but I do know I have never "glistened" as much as did while I was in Cuero!!

AggieJohn
06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
being here in corpus i can attest that we deserve our spot

Bullaholic
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
New Orleans is No. 1. Ask anybody who has ever been there. Smothering humidity all of the time.

AP Panther Fan
06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have never been to Houston, but I do know I have never "glistened" as much as did while I was in Cuero!!

lol...glistening is part of our charm! :cool:

Bull's-eye
06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Not sure about the sweatiest cities, but Sugar Land is the sweetest!!:kiss:

big daddy russ
06-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Agreed. Corpus is the sweatiest city in Texas. The only city that is even it its league is Brownsville/Harlingen.

Go walk around Dallas, Austin or Houston at night with no breeze then do the same in Corpus. Even though you have a little breeze coming straight at you, you're drenched the moment you walk out the front door. My buddies up here in CS (many of whom come from Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, West TX, etc) wonder all the time how it is that I sweat so little in 90-degree weather.

It's simple: this isn't muggy to me. I lived on the beach for 23 years of my life. 50%-60% humidity is a walk in the park.

formermbcouns
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Houston is the tops in this category, IMO!

pirate44
06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
if they included all towns within 1 mile outside the border, i'd nominate Nuevo Progresso. if not, Weslaco is pretty darn sweaty

DaHop72
06-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I've got to go with Houston #1. There is no way Austin is sweatier than there. The only place in the world where it's be 73 degrees at midnight, and I walked outside and broke a sweat.

Apologies to Houstonians, but there's no way in hell I could live in that town for that very reason. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

htowntransplant
06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
phoenix comes as a surrpised because without water, u really cant have humidity. corpus is bad, but at least we have wind. houston is terrible, at least in the richmond / rosenberg area where im from because ur not too close to the bay to get a breeze, but u still get the smothering humidity.

SintonFan
06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn

Apologies to Houstonians, but there's no way in hell I could live in that town for that very reason.
I couldn't agree more. I was just thinking of Houston and started sweating.:eek:

GetRDoneStangs
06-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Can being SWEET make you SWEAT?

Haunta Yo
06-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I've lievd in Dalals, Cprous Chtisri, Huoston and Wcao...

Aynwhere in the vellay is wrose tahn Dalals or Wcao.
Curpos has big tmie wnid in the ltae afertnoon, so I gvie Hotuson the #1 rknaing.

Bullaholic
06-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
I've lievd in Dalals, Cprous Chtisri, Huoston and Wcao...

Aynwhere in the vellay is wrose tahn Dalals or Wcao.
Curpos has big tmie wnid in the ltae afertnoon, so I gvie Hotuson the #1 rknaing.

Da wanna wonga, Haunta. :D

sinfan75
06-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd put Houston and Corpus at the top of the list. Don't be by the water just stay inland and you'll sweat your butt off just standin still. Humidity this time of year is nasty all along the western gulf coast.

RiverRat19
06-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I have lived in the Corpus, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio areas. Regardless of which one I had lived in, every time I went to Houston in the summer- regardless of time of day- I would be sweating within 10 minutes. The Valley in July/August can bring a similar effect but Houston is the worst.

Then Corpus, Austin, Dallas, SA in TX. All the AZ/NV cities are jokes. Vegas in July (lived there too believe it or not) was just a blazing almost stinging hot. Didn't sweat too much especially in the shade, just hot and somewhat uncomfortable.... nothing compared to Houston...

LH Panther Mom
06-16-2006, 07:23 AM
:nerd: :nerd: (from the AP via my company's daily collection of "news" stuff yesterday)

Phoenix sweats most but Miami suffers more

Phoenix on Wednesday was named the sweatiest city in the United States, but Miami topped the list as the most uncomfortable American city due to its mix of humidity and heat.

The fifth annual sweat survey sponsored by Procter & Gamble Co. handed the dubious distinction to the Arizona capital for the third time. El Paso, Texas, earned the title in 2004 and San Antonio, Texas, in 2002.

The study of 100 cities estimates the amount of sweat a person of average weight and height would produce walking around for an hour in the average high temperatures of a particular city during June, July and August.

The latest survey found that the average Phoenix resident produced 26 ounces (0.77 litre) of sweat per hour during a typical summer day last year when the desert city's high temperature averaged 93.3 F (34 C).

It means that in under three hours, Phoenix residents collectively produced enough sweat to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool, said Jay Gooch, sweat expert at Old Spice, a Procter & Gamble Co. antiperspirant brand.

But Gooch said Phoenix's humidity was only 22 percent, making it much more comfortable than Miami, with average temperatures last year of 83.9 F (29 C) and humidity of 76 percent, according to government figures.

"In Phoenix you sweat much more than in Miami, but it evaporates quickly as it is such dry air so you don't notice as much. In Miami the sweat stays on your skin," said Gooch.