PDA

View Full Version : Spider Man fans...

Maroon87
06-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Spiderman outs himself to the press

NEW YORK (AFP) - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.

Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.

"It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

SintonFan
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Spiderman outs himself to the press

NEW YORK (AFP) - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.

Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.

"It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.
Is Joe Quesada an idiot?:thinking:

Maroon87
06-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Is Joe Quesada an idiot?:thinking:

I think so...:thinking:

Blastoderm55
06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Why is he an idiot? The storyline sounds fascinating. Sure it takes a page from the book of X-Men, but comics have always been a way of tackling issues that face our society.

SintonFan
06-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Why is he an idiot? The storyline sounds fascinating. Sure it takes a page from the book of X-Men, but comics have always been a way of tackling issues that face our society.
But haven't comics for the most also a way to escape society?
They've just messed with the whole dynamic history of spidey...

Blastoderm55
06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Well, Stan Lee created most of his classic heroes to personify people who were different yet shouldn't be feared in order to convey his views toward the civil rights movement in the 60s. With this storyline, the writers at Marvel are personifying the people of America who are being wire-tapped and having other rights infringed upon by the Patriot Act. Some, like Spiderman in the comic, believe that above all, individual freedoms should be sacrificed for the better of society. Others, like Thor, feel that giving up personal liberty is only the first step toward the implementation of fascism and a complete loss of people's rights. Yes, comics are a nice way of escaping reality, but those who pen them very often try to do more than just create a world of flying super heroes with big guns and buxom women.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Wow, I must say that I am disappointed in the changing of the true character of Spiderman, he was supposed to be a champion of freedom and now he is relinquishing it.

Blastoderm55
06-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I think it ties into the whole "great power, great responsibility" schtick. You wouldn't see Superman relinquishing his identity, though. He fights for truth, justice, and the American way.

And he's an illegal immigrant. :D