PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs signs with Reds

pirate4state
06-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Home > Bevo Beat > Archives > 2006 > June > 14 > Entry

Stubbs signs with Reds
By Cedric Golden | Wednesday, June 14, 2006, 02:34 PM

Former Texas center fielder Drew Stubbs signed a professional contract with the Cincinnati Reds today.

Stubbs, the eighth overall pick in last week’s Major League Baseball amateur draft, received a signing bonus of $2 million. He will report to the team’s advanced rookie ball camp in Billings, Mont. on Friday.

Stubbs signed in his hometown of Atlanta, Texas this morning. The All-American was happy that the negotiations went quickly and smoothly.

“It’s big for me. Now I can start playing and get my feet on the ground in the minors,” Stubbs said. “The sooner you can start playing, the quicker you can move up.”

Stubbs said that after he finishes rookie ball, he likely will be sent to the organization’s Low-A ballclub in Dayton, Ohio.

Stubbs, the Statesman’s All-Big 12 Player of the Year, batted .342 this season for the Big 12 champions while ranking among the conference’s top 10 players in eight major offensive categories, including runs scored (65), hits (83), home runs (12), and steals (26).

:clap:

Adidas410s
06-14-2006, 03:37 PM
glad to see 3A continuing to be represented high up in the amateur draft.

Off the top of my head there has been:

Chase Wright from Iowa Park
Homer Bailey from La Grange
Drew Stubbs from Atlanta
(insert name) from Forney...was a great pitcher

and I'm sure there are others in the past few years as well.

Phil C
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: