PDA

View Full Version : Who else has Matthew overlooked in the last couple of years?

trojandad
06-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Guess it's football time again, huh? Trojandad's back online. LOL.

This is not a knock on Matthew, I know even last year late he wanted to rank Coldspring high in the polls, especially after a 7-0 start. And granted, we had a coach that refused to play people both ways, save and except one wide receiver, which depleted our defensive line. Oh, and the coach wouldn't allow a 270 lb transfer from Austin Westlake to play for unknown reasons. God forbid. LOL

But the last two years, we finished higher in our district than Matthew rated us in the beginning of the year. Now maybe we should thank him for the motivation, but I was just curious if anyone has the same track record of being slightly overlooked with Matthew's preseason picks.

Oh, by the way, our new coach is a 1A coach state ranked each year who is a firm believer in the best players playing, even both ways. Lotsa smiles here. Here's hoping. LOL. Look forward to hearing from old friends again.

rholl
06-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Playing kids both ways has 2 schools of thought and I think that both sides can make a valid arguement. But if a coach has the #'s of kids on his sidelines he should try to keep them as fresh as possible. I saw many times Everman take over and dominate a game in the second half both offensively and defensively and they don't play many guys both ways. Adrenelin and good technique go by the wayside when you are exhausted...you just can't quite get there to make that block that you were making in the first half.

trojandad
06-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Well that's for sure that reasonable people can disagree about playing people both ways, but suffice it to say that no opponent we played all year, even the playoff opponents, played at least half of their players both ways at one time or another. And out of 12 opponents all year long, only 2 were smaller in enrollment than we were. So obviously some fairly intelligent coaches at the 3A level didn't feel they could field the best team with 2 separate platoons at the 3A level.

QBKilla
06-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Barbers Hill doesn't play their players both ways, except for maybe a short yardage package on offense or a goal line stand on defense and they seem to be doing rather well of late...

trojandad
06-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Well first off, hey Killa, heard from your Dad, congrats on the ride to school. Darius got a ride to Prairie View but turned down a ride to Iowa State. Girlfriend wanted him to stay home, he's gonna regret that. LOL Iowa State is wanting Tauren and Ty, so maybe Darius will change his mind.

And as for who played both ways for you guys, I just went up to school and watched last years tape and before I got out of the first quarter, I counted four guys both ways, so I turned it off. I understand your only talking about occasional playing, but you have to understand, he wouldn't allow the offensive and defensive linemen to play opposite ways AT ALL. And when you consider that you guys are half again larger than us in enrollment, it's even more ridiculous to think we could field the best team with two totally separate platoons. We went to state finals in 92 and semis in 96, working some guys both ways. It's the only way a school as small as us can compete. Thankfully we don't have that problem anymore, we have a former high school all american tackle for a head coach, so he understands what line play means, thank the Lord. LOL

Hey Killa, take a puter to school with ya, don't wanna lose contact with ya. Ty's lookin over my shoulder, he hasn't heard from ya since the Bridge City game, which wasn't the best night for ya, dude. Ty said he's thankful you didn't tell the colleges that he holds every play, it has helped in him getting several offers. LOL. He's razzin you again. Anyway, stay in touch, bud, God's speed, and don't lose that swagger. See you at the BH/CS game this year at your place!!

trojandad
06-27-2003, 01:17 PM
And, btw, haven't had any entries to Matthew's potential mispicks, which must mean he has done pretty well with everyone.

Hat's off to you, Matt.

RBARKER
06-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey Trojandad welcome back. I think Matt does pretty good year in an year out. He can't predict every finish in district exactly or he would probally be a millioniar in Vegas by now LOL. Look at the year before when Tarkington started out undefeated who would have thunk that. Anyway, like you I am awaiting football season and cant wait. Should be a good match up this year against my Eagles. I see Coldsprings is bringing back quite a bit of speed this year good luck once the year begins. Seya @ Barbers Hill.

trojandad
06-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey Barker. Yea, lots of speed this year. You guys definitely are gonna have the size on us, but a college scout told me that we are goin to have the fastest back in the district, and that back is gonna be blocking for a tailback even faster. LOL. Lagway had 2 40's timed 4.265 back to back. Kid is amazingly fast.

But we all know you guys have the program, and like I said last year, programs beat everything else, all things being equal. Maybe we can get our game in this year without another hurricane coming in again, huh? LOL Look forward to seeing you this year. We have no open date or we'd make the trip over. But we'll catch you on the game there.