PDA

View Full Version : Cumbie Signs Free Agent Deal

Snyder_TigerFan
06-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Congrats to Sonny, I wish him the best of luck. He's made the best of all his oppurtunities, so hopefully he'll do this same with this one and make the team.

Former Snyder High star QB signs NFL deal
Sonny Cumbie inks one-year free-agent contract with Baltimore in hopes

By Jason Sheehan / sheehanj@reporternews.com
June 14, 2006

Sonny Cumbie's dream of playing in the National Football League remains alive.

The Abilene native and former Snyder High School and Texas Tech star signed a one-year free agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens last week, said his agent, Scott Casterline. Cumbie is in Baltimore and could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Cumbie is hoping to make to the Ravens' training camp which opens July 30. If makes it to training camp, he'll battle for the team's third quarterback position, Casterline said.

''I'll take those odds knowing Sonny as well as I do,'' Casterline said. ''He's going to have to fight, but Sonny's a fighter.''

Casterline said the Ravens called soon after Cumbie finished his rookie season with the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League.

Although he didn't play immediately for the Avengers, Cumbie started the last 12 games of the season, completing 268 of his 450 pass attempts (59.6 percent) for 3,241 yards (with only 10 interceptions). His 59 touchdown passes were the seventh highest single-season total by a rookie in AFL history. Cumbie also rushed for three scores and set an Avenger team record with a string of 212 pass attempts without an interception.

Cumbie was named to the Arena Football League's All-Rookie Team in May.

Cumbie turned down scholarship offers from Abilene Christian University and Tarleton State University to walk on at Texas Tech. He didn't start until his senior year, but in 2004, Cumbie led the NCAA in passing with 4,742 yards and threw 32 touchdown scores. He helped guide the team to an 8-4 record, including a 45-31 win in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl over then-No. 4 California.

Phantom Stang
06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan

Cumbie turned down scholarship offers from Abilene Christian University and Tarleton State University to walk on at Texas Tech. He didn't start until his senior year, but in 2004, Cumbie led the NCAA in passing with 4,742 yards and threw 32 touchdown scores. He helped guide the team to an 8-4 record, including a 45-31 win in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl over then-No. 4 California.
I have a strong feeling that he's gonna make the team.;)